• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Appalachian State Scouting Report

BWahlberg

DONOR
The 2013 Grizzly football season is here. Like just about everyone in Griz Nation I can’t wait to see the guys come out of the tunnel on Saturday and get things rolling against an incredibly talented App State team. There’s a lot riding on this game; redemption for the Griz and the biggest game of the season for App (who can’t go to the playoffs). The Griz have been walking the walk and talking the talk of a team that’s back on track and ready to roll. We’ll have new uniforms, new helmets, and a new pre-game. It’s the first ever regular season game at night and of course, we’re hosting App State.

Tough to provide some scouting info on a team that hasn’t played a game yet however I’ve reviewed the write-ups from their scrimmages and their media guide as well as last year’s stats and info. So let’s do this.

2012 record: 8-4 with a playoff berth and a 1st round loss to Illinois State in OT. Of course we all remember last year App State and Montana squared off in a game where App won 35-27. In that game App went up on the Griz 21-7 in the 1st quarter but the Griz got it back to a tie game by the half. App grabbed the lead in the 3rd quarter and the Griz missed an extra point which would have set up a 28-28 game, App tacked on another TD and ended the game with an interception as time was running out. App ran for 157 and passed for 260 in that game however UM outgained them overall, it was 4 costly turnovers (to no turnovers by App) that hurt the Griz the most.

2013 spring report:

- The first spring scrimmage had the offense start hot and finish hot but the D held them up quite a bit inbetween. The WR trio of Peacock, Price, and Jones shared 221 receiving yards (there was a total of 356 passing yards between two QBs). The defense was getting into the backfield a lot, it was credited with 29 stops behind the line of scrimmage and 8 sacks.

- The second and final scrimmage was a gem for the defense. They shut down the running game and put the entire game on the kickers to seal the deal. The score in the scrimmage was 12-3 as a final. The two squads combined for 17 sacks and 24 tackles for a loss.

2013 fall report:

- What I would imagine was a grueling 136 play scrimmage was held with starting QB Jamal Londry-Jackson throwing for 200 yards and 2 TDs. Looks like there were quite a few turnovers, the article lists 3 interceptions and 2 forced fumbles. Combined across all players on offense there was 150 rushing yards, 4 rushing TDs, 338 passing yards, and 4 passing TDs.

- The second scrimmage was played in a rain storm. It lead to some poor ball handling with 5 lost fumbles. However App did still pass for 3 TDs and kick a field goal. 8 TFLS and 3 sacks for the defense, a much lower number than prior scrimmages.

Comparing 2012 depth to 2013 depth:
Starting on offense it looks like 4 of their 5 O-linemen return, the starting center from last year moves to guard. Their right tackle is the only new guy. Obviously we know Price will be out but the rest of their WR corps returns and they’ll be breaking in a new running back as well.

On defense it’s the same front 3 on the d-line but the linebackers have practically all new faces with 4 new starters over last year’s initial depth chart and two of the starters are freshman. Both safeties are new as well with another freshman in there. One corner returns but I see the other starter was a backup last year and he’s just rolling over to the other side of the field.

Players to Watch:

#12 Jamal Londry-Jackson, QB: Jackson is a highly efficient QB, last year he averaged nearly 275 passing yards per game and had 21 TD passes to just 8 ints. He completed passes 66% of the time. He’s also a rushing threat as well, on the season he finished up with 328 rushing yards and 6 TDs on 114 attempts.

#11 Andrew Peacock, WR: With WR Sean Price staying home Peacock comes in as the #1 guy. Price had 81 catches last year, Peacock had 79. The difference was that Peacock’s yards/TDs weren’t as eye-popping. He did have a great year though with nearly 800 yards and 4 TDs (compare to Price who had just 2 more catches, played in 2 less games, and had 1200 yards and 8 TDs).

#28 Ricky Fergerson, RB: He’s going to be the starter at running back, his spring and fall numbers were pretty solid. He had just 5 rush attempts last year so the new role will be interesting to see how he adapts. He’s a smaller/quicker guy

#15 Tony Washington, WR: 3rd in receiving stats last year with 475 yards and 3 TDs on 39 catches, he’s a pre-season all conference player I believe, possibly on the honorable mention team. He was consistently getting press for making plays in spring and fall camp. Tony is also their PR/KR, he had a 99 yard kick return touchdown last year and was one of the better kick returners in the conference with a 27.3 average yards per return.

#74 Kendall Lamm, LT: Already has 18 starts under his belt and he’s only headed into his junior year. It’s going to be quite the battle watching one of the better left tackles in the FCS going up against one of the better defensive ends in the FCS in Zach Wagenmann.

#49 Ronald Blair, RE: Blair is a 1st team all SoCon pick, last year he had 60 tackles and 8.5 TFLs as well as 3 sacks and 1 fumble recovery.

#26 Joel Ross, CB: The only returning starter in the secondary Ross had 46 tackles and 1 interception, he also had 6 TFLs and a 2nd best 5 QB hits. Watch for him to blitz the QB a bit.

#45 Karl Anderson, ILB: Their most experienced returning linebacker I believe, 39 tackles last year.

Keys to beating App State

- Manage the passing game. App is going to come out and test our pass defense that was statistically one of the worst last year. Even without Price the group of Jones, Washington, Peacock, and McElfresh will be a major test to our secondary. I expect App to test the Grizzly pass defense early and often. Londry-Jackson is the pre-season SoCon player of the year and he’ll be looking to pick apart our pass D.

- Don’t get out of position. As talented as our linebacker corps is far too many times last year did we see mobile QBs roll out of the pocket and suddenly our defense went to hell. I can think of an easy EWU pass TD where Adams scrambles a bit, JP Kanongata’a leaves covering the running back, and it’s a wide open TD pass. A mobile QB is going to test our defense’s assignments and responsibilities.

- Keep App out of the backfield. A trend I noticed from App’s scrimmages was that they tallied up a lot of TFLs and sacks. Their front 3 are the same we saw last year and they’ll be back after it again this season. They tend to force a lot of negative yardage plays, we have to minimalize that.

- Win the turnover battle. Griz were -4 last season against App in that loss. Turning the table this year would go a long ways.

- Attack the middle of the field. Four new linebackers starting and two new safeties starting with 3 of those 6 being freshman, oh yeah – get after them. I don’t expect them to be slouches, they’ve been going up against one of the best offenses in the FCS, but you’ve got to test these young players.

- Improve red zone efficiency from last year, on both sides of the ball. The Griz offense wasn’t bad in the red zone but its defense was allowing opposing teams to score with way too much frequency once in the red zone.

- Don’t leave it in the kicking game’s hands. With all due respect to Chris Lider he’s just come out of a tight kicking battle that had Delaney still talking about other options at kicker in today’s paper. Lider has a strong leg and his accuracy got better through fall camp. He missed a key kick in the last App game and that was only an extra point. Score TDs, light up the scoreboard, and don’t worry so much about the fieldgoals… hopefully.

------------

Overall this game seems pretty evenly matched, App has a lot of questions at LB/S, the Griz have questions in their secondary and at WR. If the home crowd can pump up the team and rattle the new App starters I like our chances to edge out a win here. However if we cannot contain their QB then it’s anyone’s game.

I think our defense is going to rise to the occasion and Jordan Johnson and company are going to do enough to test this rather unproven secondary of App's. The Griz have been waiting to release a lot of pent up frustration from this last season and off-season. I'm thinking Griz will win in a game that starts pretty tight but gets going in the 2nd half, I'll say 33-27 Griz win.

GO GRIZ!

Thanks for the report Brint. If I get the chance to meet you I will buy ya a beverage :thumb:

Thanks BW :thumb: ...all the keys for beating them are spot on. I don't think it's even a question that they're gonna target our DBs, but I think that our DBs have shown a lot of improvement and seem to be up for the challenge of stopping their talented passing game.

Nice work B-Dub, hope to be able to stop by and say hello..
"One team, One fight" - UNITED Go Griz!!

Pounder29

They will definitely attack our DB's via the pass early. And why wouldn't you. One of the best pass defenses is a strong pass rush. I like our chances there. Wags and Holmes will be a mismatch for anybody we play this year. Hit their QB early and often he will become a different QB.

:thumb: Ok now that Brint has put out the scouting report, GRIZ football season has officially started :thumb:

Holmes vs their new RT could be a great opportunity for him to make an early splash this season.

I would pressure their qb early. If we can get to him early, he may get gun shy. Not having Price cuts down on the risk from pressure not getting to the qb in time.

I think we can run on their 3-4 defense. Their backers are young. It takes time to learn how to play the 3-4. They will make mistakes, and won't take enough advantage of the things that can be advantageous in a 3-4.

We'll see how App St handles play action. Hopefully, our receivers step up and make plays.

Hopefully, the crowd and crowd noise will have an impact, especially on the north side of the field.

I could see the turnover battle going in our direction this year.

I'm hoping the game goes against App St more than people expect.

This will be a battle, and fun.

Good luck to both teams.

Hammer, as usual you are full of wisdom.

Hammer said:
They will definitely attack our DB's via the pass early. And why wouldn't you.

This approach is likely to be on the game plan for every team we face this year

One of the best pass defenses is a strong pass rush. I like our chances there. Wags and Holmes will be a mismatch for anybody we play this year. Hit their QB early and often he will become a different QB.

You're also right that this is the best strategy to help our DB's settle in and gain their confidence. :ugeek:

Grizzlies1982 said:

Hammer said:

One of the best pass defenses is a strong pass rush. I like our chances there. Wags and Holmes will be a mismatch for anybody we play this year. Hit their QB early and often he will become a different QB.

You're also right that this is the best strategy to help our DB's settle in and gain their confidence. :ugeek:

I'm full of beer, not sure about wisdom, but thanks! :thumb:

Hammer said:
Grizzlies1982 said:

Hammer said:

I'm full of beer, not sure about wisdom, but thanks! :thumb:

Then in light of the beer, perhaps you're a font of wisdom.

Hammer said:
They will definitely attack our DB's via the pass early. And why wouldn't you. One of the best pass defenses is a strong pass rush. I like our chances there. Wags and Holmes will be a mismatch for anybody we play this year. Hit their QB early and often he will become a different QB.

i see them coming out with quick slant and screen passes for the first quarter to get us to hold back on that ominous rush....second quarter a smattering 15-25yd to a couple of long bombs see if they can connect one on one with our safeties.
second half if they were successful in the first half and come out with the lead they pound it with the run and option plays to keep possession and griz offense off the field.

if both teams are offensively productive due to better playcalling/coaching and finding holes in the defense....sorry brint, besides turnovers.........the kicking game could be the most important factor to get the win.

zirge said:
Hammer said:

i see them coming out with quick slant and screen passes for the first quarter to get us to hold back on that ominous rush....second quarter a smattering 15-25yd to a couple of long bombs see if they can connect one on one with our safeties.
second half if they were successful in the first half and come out with the lead they pound it with the run and option plays to keep possession and griz offense off the field.

if both teams are offensively productive due to better playcalling/coaching and finding holes in the defense....sorry brint, besides turnovers.........the kicking game could be the most important factor to get the win.

Yeah, that's my concern

Here are a couple of changes from last season that I expect to be major factors in this game:

App will be running a very up tempo offense, even faster than they have run in the past. We'll need to be rotating players in for depth to remain fresh at the end of the game. If they get a lot of sustained drives we could be hurting on defense in the 4th quarter.

App has also switched to the 3-4. This plays right into the strength of our transition to more of a power running offense behind our big and talented o-line. If we get some nice sustained drives throughout the game then they could be hurting in the 4th quarter on defense.

Hammer said:
Wags and Holmes. :twisted:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

If a strong pass rush is the best defense against a passing team then a close second would have to be a ball control offense. The more long sustained drives the Griz cap off with score the less time App's offense will have on the field and the more fresh our db's will be.

Back