• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

app state scrimmage

getgrizzy

http://www.hcpress.com/sports/appalachian-state-mountaineers-football-continues-to-prepare-for-2013-football-season-with-aug-10-scrimmage.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=appalachian-state-mountaineers-football-continues-to-prepare-for-2013-football-season-with-aug-10-scrimmage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

134 play scrimmage. i'm figuring they ran a lot of situational stuff from various spots on the field.

grizfan95 said:
I count 8 or 9 instances of freshmen making impacts in that scrimmage. How young is this team?
i think they return 10 players on offense. 5-6 on defense, so probably not very young in terms of starters.

http://www.journalpatriot.com/sports/article_d6acbdf4-fde2-11e2-9e73-0019bb30f31a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they're running a 3-4 defense this year.

since they're transitioning to fbs they have 73 scholarships this year. haslam says we're only using 61 of our 63.

The O-line is really young. Two juniors on the right side and then two sophomores and a freshman. If I remember right the projected starting center was 5 foot 10 and 265 pounds. We need to take advantage of that youth and size, especially with their first game together on the road at WaGRIZ.

Apps had an interesting camp so far, going into the season everyone thought the linebacker positon was weak, but 2 true freshman have played so well its now being considered a strength. Our new defensive coordinator who came over from Wofford, really knows what he is doing, and the defense, so far, looks really good. Running back position is still a question mark, some nice players, but no one has really stepped up an took the starting job, got a bad feeling we are going to struggle at that postion. Wide receiver position goes 7 deep, never seem this much talent, SS biggest problem is keeping everyone happy, and spread the ball around. Offensive line, alot to be concerned about, especially in the red zone, we are very quick, but just don't have alot of "bulldozer" type players who can push a defensive line off the ball.

moehlerr01,,,,even though you have some excellent talent as true freshman, I would think the coaching staff is looking for transition into the fbs and redshirting as many a humanly possible....that year from 17 to 18/19 and the weight room makes men out of boys...your thoughts, asu1978 and armonte....

84GRIZ said:
The O-line is really young. Two juniors on the right side and then two sophomores and a freshman. If I remember right the projected starting center was 5 foot 10 and 265 pounds. We need to take advantage of that youth and size, especially with their first game together on the road at WaGRIZ.

Not entirely accurate.

The App O-line so far:

6'6 292 lb RsJr. OT Kendall Lamm
6'2 295 lb RsSo. OG Shaq Counts
6'2 285 lb Jr. OC Graham Fisher
OG spot open
6'6 311 lb RsJr. OT Will Corbin

and 3 more returning Jrs. Started at the open OG spot at some point last year, which will take it idk.

krammer, great point, I imagine, though we have yet to hear from SS, is he will probably redshirt most of the freshman class, makes a lot of sense. The linebackers I mention are maybe the exception. Over the summer we lost maybe our most talented LB, Hall, who transferred to Georgia, and will try to walk on, (rumor is his girlfriend, who attends Georgia had something to do with it, dumb), anyway, with this, graduation, and really, just trying to finding quality players to put on the field was going to be a challenge. Then, camp opened, and we got our first look at the freshman Gilchrist, wow, by all accounts, including the coaches, this kid has more than lived up to the hype, its early, but so far, if you believe the coaches, he has been the mvp of camp. This might be a case of a kid just being too good to redshirt, and he can fill a need on the defense. As far as the offensive line, we are very big, but, this is roughly the same line from last year, and it was just so frustrating watching them time and time ago in the redzone unable to push the defensive line back 2 yds so we could score. The good news is Ledbetter, the ol coach, is in his second year, and seems to really know what he is doing, hopefully, we will see improvement, especially the redzone.

moehlerr01 said:
As far as the offensive line, we are very big, but, this is roughly the same line from last year, and it was just so frustrating watching them time and time ago in the redzone unable to push the defensive line back 2 yds so we could score. The good news is Ledbetter, the ol coach, is in his second year, and seems to really know what he is doing, hopefully, we will see improvement, especially the redzone.
This just in: relative to Montana, this OL is not big.

wow, you going to tell me that 6'6 292, and 6'6 311 is small? Montana Ol must be the biggest in all of collage football, FCS, and FBS, hope they show mercy on us.

asu1978 said:
I am SOOOO ready for FULL CONTACT SMASH MOUTH FOOTBALL. ALWAYS ATTACK :!: are you?
Now THAT is some classic drunk redneck posting there....WAHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Just a little bit bigger:

65 Jordan Hines RS JR Offensive Guard 6-4 291 Phoenix, Ariz. (Phoenix College)
69 Kjelby Oiland SR Center/Snaps 6-4 290 Spokane, Wash. (UNLV)
72 Trevor Poole RS JR Offensive Tackle 6-5 290 Spokane, Wash. (Ferris)
75 William Poehls SR Guard 6-8 340 Chandler, Ariz. (Chandler)
76 Danny Kistler Jr. SR Offensive Tackle 6-8 315 Seattle, Wash. (O'Dea)

Not sure if these are the five starters, but I'm pretty sure I got four of the five. Representative size-wise, anyway.

Back