• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Anyone have more on this?

Buttegrizzle

DONOR
Former Griz player’s grandfather upset over NCAA investigation
MISSOULA COUNTY

By Emily Adamson, KECI Reporter, [email protected]
POSTED: 6:26 PM Aug 16 2013 UPDATED: 6:35 PM Aug 16 2013
Text Size:
Print Email

Former Griz player’s grandfather upset over NCAA investigation 08-16-13

MISSOULA, Mont. -
The grandfather of a former University of Montana Griz football player is speaking out against the recent findings from an NCAA investigation.

Related
Ex-Mont. coach defends record following penalties
NCAA penalizes University of Montana over booster perks
UM President Engstrom statement regarding NCAA penalties
Much of the 25-page NCAA report centers on the arrests of then Grizzly football players Trumaine Johnson and Gerald Kemp.

Kemp’s grandfather, George Kemp, an attorney in California, says the NCAA didn’t get the full story.

Cell phone video taken by bystanders in the early morning hours October 23, 2011, shows an intense incident.

“I was trying to help my boy, man,” said Trumaine Johnson.

“You don’t help your boy when it’s the police,” responded an officer.

The video was originally turned over as evidence. NBC Montana recently obtained the footage from the city. Part of the video shows cops putting Johnson into the back of police car after he and teammate Gerald Kemp were tased and arrested when a post-game party got out of control.

Two months later the charges for obstructing a police officer, resisting arrest and assault were dropped. The men each paid a $100 fine for misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

But the case didn't stop there. At the end of July the NCAA released the findings of a year and half long investigation into the Griz football program. In the report -- details from the October 2011 arrests.

The NCAA penalized the football program for multiple violations, including that Johnson and Kemp were bailed out of jail by a booster and then got free legal service from another booster.

But Kemp's grandfather wants to take full responsibility for getting his grandson out of the Missoula County Detention Center.

“I initiated it, I told the person to do it for me,” said Kemp in a phone conversation Friday. “I couldn't do it. I was 5,000 miles away, so that person did it for me.”

Kemp went on to say he reimbursed the person, who happened to be a booster. “I sent it to the jail, I did all that. We did everything we were supposed to do.”

Kemp put together an affidavit that includes a timeline of phone conversations he had with his grandson and the person who initially bailed him out of jail that night. Kemp said he gave the document to Gerald to take to an interview with NCAA investigators to show he was the one who paid the bail.

“They didn't want to hear the truth,” said Kemp. “They came down to investigate the truth but they didn't want to hear the truth.”

Kemp said he's pursuing a lawsuit, but wouldn't release who the suit is against or provide any other details.

NBC Montana will continue to track this story and keep you updated.

Copyright 2013 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
You share in the NBC Montana.com community, so please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Use the "Report Abuse" link if a comment violates these standards. The views expressed are not those of NBCMontana.com, NBCMontana or its affiliated companies. This is a community moderated forum. (Please note the 'Like' and 'Report' buttons.) By posting your comments you agree to accept our terms of use.

Buttegrizzle said:
Ignore if this is already a topic thread. I wonder who Kemp is suing?
Hopefully the NCAA, which leads to an investigation that opens Pandora's box and they find Engstrom corroborated with the NCAA in whitewashing facts.

Copper Griz said:
Hopefully the NCAA, which leads to an investigation that opens Pandora's box and they find Engstrom corroborated with the NCAA in whitewashing facts.
Hopefully it dosnt lead to the NCAA reopening their investigation and hitting us with harsher sanctions. They only gave us what we suggested they give us. No body monitors what they do and they can do whatever they want. They could say oh ya? You want more of us? Well....

This is interesting. Kemp probably has a good civil case against the city/city police. Violation of civil rights. Look up section 1983 cases. Have heard that the police/city have never seen/heard some of video/audio. The NCAA report indicates that his lawyer was evaluating the civil case before the criminal case was resolved, and refers to his signing of a contingency fee agreement. Could he sue the University for not properly dealing with the NCAA investigation, and causing his to lose most of his senior season? Could he sue the NCAA? Good questions. I don't know. Some believe the University did not properly deal with the NCAA investigation. Some say some of the main "facts" should have been disputed more effectively, and the University shouldn't have offered up some many penalties.

I hope the Kemps have a case against the NCAA. If so, it will go to show the NCAA will do whatever is necessary to impose penalties on a program if there is an investigation, even if they found next to nothing.

I also have asked many times, still without an answer. What took the NCAA so long to decide on Kemp's eligibility in his SR season over some stupid minor academic violation? They knew of the possible violation right after the academic year was done. Yet, they did not give a decision until the football season was almost over. That makes no sense. Who delayed the decision on GK's behalf? Was it the NCAA or the powers to be at the University? It really does look like GK was screwed someway.

If the Kemp's can prove their side as being the truth, can that change the outcome for the program positively? Sounds like the Kemps did things up and up as possible, and GK has a pretty intelligent family working for him. We have not heard from Tru's side on this issue. I would think repaying $100.00 to someone would not be too difficult for most anyone. If Tru's side can prove this too, I think the NCAA will have another mark against them, and their reputation.

I for one will be pulling the Kemps can prove their side as the truth.

mtgrizrule said:
I hope the Kemps have a case against the NCAA. If so, it will go to show the NCAA will do whatever is necessary to impose penalties on a program if there is an investigation, even if they found next to nothing.

I also have asked many times, still without an answer. What took the NCAA so long to decide on Kemp's eligibility in his SR season over some stupid minor academic violation? They knew of the possible violation right after the academic year was done. Yet, they did not give a decision until the football season was almost over. That makes no sense. Who delayed the decision on GK's behalf? Was it the NCAA or the powers to be at the University? It really does look like GK was screwed someway.

If the Kemp's can prove their side as being the truth, can that change the outcome for the program positively? Sounds like the Kemps did things up and up as possible, and GK has a pretty intelligent family working for him. We have not heard from Tru's side on this issue. I would think repaying $100.00 to someone would not be too difficult for most anyone. If Tru's side can prove this too, I think the NCAA will have another mark against them, and their reputation.

I for one will be pulling the Kemps can prove their side as the truth.
+1

Back