• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Anybody you Know?

IdaGriz01

I know some of the folks on here are haters when it come to columnist Rick Reilly, but work with me on this anyway. He makes an important point about gambling addiction with his latest: http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9080768/true-madness-march

It keys off basketball -- March Madness -- but applies equally to football (where far more money is bet anyway, especially if you include the NFL) and other sports. Fortunately, I never had a close friend/relative who ruined his life by compulsive gambling. (It seems to hit men far harder than women ... about 3 to 1) However, back when I had a "day job," the brother of a co-worker suffered from the addiction. This went on for week after week during the NFL season -- the co-worker even got talked into a loan. Like they guy in Reilly's example, the addict's life spiraled right down in a s**thole. Things seemed like they couldn't get any worse, when the co-worker abruptly stopped saying anything about it at all. I've always had an uneasy feeling that jail time or even suicide might have been involved ... but was afraid to ask.

So if this is anyone you know, give some thought to taking action. You could save a life -- figuratively, or even literally (about 1 in 5 addicts eventually attempt suicide).

Back