• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

An idea for renewing the Griz/Vandal series

PolskiNorsk

Play it in Spokane.

Idaho might not be willing to do another home-and-home series, and the idea of playing the rivalry exclusively in Moscow/Pullman is non-starter, so why not make it neutral? Albi Stadium in Spokane holds about 28,000 seats, and each school can get half of the allotment. I know Spokane is a lot closer to Moscow (80 miles vs. 200), but both schools have a lot of local alumni, and I doubt that Griz fans would be outnumbered at the game, considering the difference in level of support for each team. I think it's reasonable that the total attendance would be no less than 20,000. I don't know what kind of revenue would be generated by TV, but anything would be a bonus on top of the gate receipts. Concession money would probably stay local because that's how these things usually work. The game can be in September so that Lookout and Homestake Passes are clear for travelling fans. As far as I can tell, the only drawback to this plan is that Albi is old and has no suites, so I don't know if $400,000-500,000 in ticket revenue per year would offset the possibility of losing a home game every 2nd year. Obviously UM could hold fundraising in conjunction with the game, but I wouldn't know how to estimate how much that would be worth.

They could try it once to see if it's a success, then make it an annual event. What's unfortunate is that UM and the conference didn't leverage this under the terms of Idaho rejoining the Big Sky for their non-football programs. Of course, when UM and Idaho are inevitably back in the same conference for football, they should bring the rivalry back to the campuses.

And from Idaho's standpoint, it would make a lot of sense. They're back in Sun Belt purgatory as of 2014, so they need more regional and rivalry games. Boise State has stopped scheduling them, and Washington State plays them this year but hasn't arranged any future meetings. Idaho will still get the occasional big-payout game from the other Pac-12 schools in the Northwest, but that can only go so far.

PolskiNorsk said:
Play it in Spokane.

Idaho might not be willing to do another home-and-home series
It has nothing to do with what Idaho is willing to do. It was not permitted formerly by WAC rules and is not permitted now by Sun Belt rules.

kemajic said:
It has nothing to do with what Idaho is willing to do. It was not permitted formerly by WAC rules and is not permitted now by Sun Belt rules.

Still as good a reason as any to play it on a neutral field

Back