• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

All Time Griz All-Pro Team

alabamagrizzly

**edit** revised for the 2nd year now. No new additions, just some stats updated for the active players.

Here's a look at what I think the Grizzlies all time All Pro team would look like. I included every professional league. Most stats weren't that difficult to find. For the NFL players I used http://www.pro-football-reference.com/colleges/montana/ except for active players. For them I used their team websights. For the Arena Leauge players I used http://www.arenafan.com/players/?type=college&college=Montana which gave a great list of all the Montana players and great career stats. For the NFL-Europe players I used the site http://www.footballdb.com/nfle-players.html which is a complete data base for all World League players. For the XFL players as far as I know Joe Douglass is the only one. For the USFL I used http://www.oursportscentral.com/usfl/player.php which will give you rosters in one spot and team stats in another. The only major set back in all of this is the Canadian Football League does not give an archive of stats anywhere on line that I could find. I had to use team pages on Wikipedia for the career leaders and Dave's Wikipedia page for his stats. Any of the other CFL stats are most likley incomplete if they played for another team or I know they played in the CFL but couldn't find their stats at all. I'm sure there's more Griz I don't even know about since the leagues been around for over 50 years. If any one knows where I can find CFL archived stats I would appritiate it. Any stats that have a ? Next to them are also ones I couldn't find and probably weren't kept at the time since tackles and sacks have only been kept in recent history. Let the debate begin.

1st Team
QB-Dave Dickenson '97-'08(CFL-British Columbia, Calgary, NFL-SD, Mia, Sea, Det)
22,913yrds 154td 68% 110.4raiting 1560ru yrds 14ru td
'00 CFL MVP, '06 Grey Cup MVP, '00 All Pro
No question here. Easily the the greatest Griz of all time.

RB-Wild Bill Kelly '27-'30(NFL New York, Frankford, Brooklyn)
36 of 52 career games started ?yrds 6td
He would have played longer but died of unknown causes at the age of 26. Suspected liver.

WR-Mike Trevathen '91-'97(CFL-British Columbia)
410rec 6467yrds ?td
The most career recieving yards of any Grizzly

WR-Joe Douglas '98-'07(AFL-Orlando, Chi, Col, LV, LA, NFL Europe-Amsterdam, XFL-Birmingham)
481rec 6232yrds 105td 71ruydrs 13rutd
Played in the AFL, XFL, and NFL-Europe. Great career numbers with a lot of td's.

WR-Shalon Baker '95-'02,'04-'05(AFL-San Jose, CFL-?)
340rec 4707yrds 66td 118ruyrds 7rutd
AFL '99All-Iron Team, AFL '98All-Rookie Team, CFL ROY
Great two way player in AFL. Wish his coaching career had worked out.

TE-Rocky Klever '83-'87(NFL-NY Jets)
46rec 514yrds 3td
Easily the most successful Griz to play TE at the next level

C-Guy Bingham '80-'93(NFL-NY Jets, Atlanta, Washington)
199 career games 33 games started
The longest NFL career of any Grizzly.

G-Milan Lazetich '45-'50(NFL-Cleavland/Los Angeles)
23 of 59 career games started, 2x 1st Team AP
2nd round pick, 16th overall, played both ways

G-Aldo Forte '39-'41,'46-'47(NFL-Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay)
12 of 49 career games started, 2nd Team AP, 2x Pro Bowl

T-Scott Gragg '95-'05(NFL-NY Giants, San Francisco, NY Jets)
149 of 171 career games started
Drafted 2nd round 54th pick, started more games then any other Grizzly.

T-Kirk Scrafford '90-'98(NFL-Cinncinatti, Denver, San Francisco)
53 of 99 career games started

DT-Mike Tillman '66-'76(NFL-Minnesota, New Orleans, Houston, Atlanta)
149 games 14 starts 5FR ?tk ?sk

DT-Steve Okeneieski '72-'77(NFL-Buffalo, Green Bay, St Louis)
52 games 0 starts 2FR ?tk ?sk

DE-Doug Betters '78-'87(NFL-Miami)
146 games 105 starts 43.5+sk ?tk 6FR
'83 Defensive Player of the Year '83 All-Pro '83 Pro Bowl
Defensively the most successful Griz of all time

DE-Kroy Biermann '08-present(NFL-Atlanta)
98games 37 starts 249tk 21sk 1FF 2FR 2INT 6PD 3TD
Athletically gifted but slightly undersized. Two interception highlights are amazing by anyone's standards
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZyz-8ziJOQ[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0SG6S4E1ow[/youtube]

LB-Milan Lazetich '45-'50(NFL-Cleavland/Los Angeles)
9FR 2INT
Not only was a stand out G but was also a dominant LB. one of the stars on a championship Rams team.

LB-Jordan Tripp '14-present(NFL-Miami)
13games 3tk
Jordan looks to expand on these totals this year while getting much more playing time.

LB-Brock Coyle '14-present(NFL-Seattle)
15games 2starts 11tk
Brock will once again back up a star MLB while trying to earn playing time.

CB-Calvin Coleman '03-05(AFL-New Orleans, Philedelphia, NFL-Europe-Berlin)
115tk 4FF 2FR 9INT 13PD 1TD
Thanx to Tru his time as the #1 CB won't last long but for now he's the man.

CB-Micky Sutton '83-'90(NFL-LA Rams, Green Bay, Buffalo, CFL-?, USFL-Pittsburg, Birmingham)
65 games 7 starts 4FR 8INT
Also played a year in the CFL, and two years in the USFL. INT numbers include his USFL stats.

CB-Tru Johnson '12-present(NFL-St Louis)
41 games 21 starts 134tk 26PD 8INT 1td 1FF
God willing, he will have a long successful career.

S-Tim Hauck '90-'02(NFL-Green Bay, Denver, Seattle, Indianapolis, Philedelphia, San Francisco)
183 games 25 starts 288tk 5FF 6FR 1INT
Played in more games then any other Griz defensively

S-Trey Young '05-'08(CFL-Calgary, Edmonton)
190tk 11int 2sk 4fr
Played 4 seasons in the CFL, most of it with Calgary. Defensive team MVP in '07. Also caught a 39 yrd td in '07.

K-Dan Carpenter '08-present(NFL-Miami, Buffalo)
194 of 229 FG's made for 84.7%, 84 of 115 from 40+yrds
'09 Pro Bowl
Not counting Raul Allegre,(and I don't) Dan is easily the most successful Griz kicker.

P-Milt Popovich '38-'42(NFL-Chi Cardinals)
35att 37.7avg 48long
Known more for his running ability, Milt was also a successful punter

RS-Mark Mariani '10-present(NFL-Tennessee, Chicago)
112KR 24.9avg 1TD 80PR 10.6avg 2TD
Might have more TD's and a higher avg if he didn't miss all of '12 with a broken leg and '13 with a shoulder injury.

Honerable Mention

QB-Brent Pease The only Griz QB with any amount of time in the NFL. Played Two years and started three games for the injured Warren Moon. Three for over 1700 yards and 14 TD's in Houston's Run 'n Gun O.

RB-Lex Hilliard Lex's played five seasons in the NFL. Not great career numbers at 163ruyrds, 2TD, 233recyrds, and 2Td but the longevity puts him on the list.

WR-Matt Clark Not sure of his career numbers since he played in the CFL but he did have over 5000 yards and was CFL Rookie of the Year in '91

WR-Etu Molden Played four years in the AFL and had 347rec, 4018yrds, 71TD's, and 11rushtd's. he also made an All Iron-Man team and the All Rookie Team.

WR-Jimmy Farris Added because of his time in the NFL. From '01-'07 he played in 36 games. He finished with 7rec, 118yrds, 2TD's, and part of one famous T.O. td celebration.

G-Cory Procter Played 4 years and started 14 of 54 games plus a hard rock band.

T-Barry Darrow Played 5 years and started 35 of 71 games.

T-Tiny Cahoon Played 4 years and started 27 of 31 games.

S-Jimmy Wilson One of the most inspirational stories to come out of Montana. After 4 seasons in Miami, he signed with SD and has a chance to start the season as a starting strong safety. His career numbers are 21 of 60 games started, 154tk, 2sk, 16PD, 3FF, and 4INT.

S-Colt Anderson Will be starting his 6th year in the NFL. His career numbers are 6 starts in 64 career games, 90tk, 4PD, 2FF, 1FR and 1INT.

RS-Joe Douglass Joe's career numbers made it a tuff choice to choose between him and Mariani. The difference maker was Mark had done his in the NFL and the bulk of Douglass's came in the AFL. His career numbers are 255KR's, 18.1avg, 6TD's, 69PR, 9.0avg, 1TD

This guy wasn't bad:

http://mtstandard.com/sports/college/okoniewski-has-traveled-many-roads/article_08e56cf8-4791-5253-a4b2-0435ab95b129.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this team is nothing without sunshine at first base. or was that center field? (very)shortstop? whatever - i vote for sunny.

Fun to read, well thought out, must have taken some time. Thanks for the memories AlaGriz. :thumb:

All links and videos are now fixed. Thanx for the feedback to those that helped. Yes betch, this has been in the works for awhile. I put a lot of thought into it and I'm a little disappointed I haven't gotten more opinions on it. I guess since its not a thread regarding drop down QB's, new unis, or how Engstrom and Delany are bringing the death if Grizzly football and the end of life as we know it, then nobody cares. Either that or it's just too perfect and nobody has anything to add. :mrgreen: :poke:

alabamagrizzly said:
All links and videos are now fixed. Thanx for the feedback to those that helped. Yes betch, this has been in the works for awhile. I put a lot of thought into it and I'm a little disappointed I haven't gotten more opinions on it. I guess since its not a thread regarding drop down QB's, new unis, or how Engstrom and Delany are bringing the death if Grizzly football and the end of life as we know it, then nobody cares. Either that or it's just too perfect and nobody has anything to add. :mrgreen: :poke:
I'm in the last statement group! :thumb:

alabamagrizzly said:

So what is the process for including Betters but not Allegre? I thought both their situations were very similiar, where they played here briefly before moving on? And I see no FB, but guessing it would be Green?

Also if you had included Kessman, you'd have lots of comments. :shock: Good job! :thumb:

ordigger said:
So what is the process for including Betters but not Allegre? I thought both their situations were very similiar, where they played here briefly before moving on? And I see no FB, but guessing it would be Green?

Also if you had included Kessman, you'd have lots of comments. :shock: Good job! :thumb:
I included Betters because he played a couple of years here before transferring for his Sr year. He was a two time All BSC his So and Jr years. He also still tied himself to Montana after his pro days were over as an asst coach on are '95 Nat Champ team and the '96 runner up team and still lives in Montana. He also received his degree from Montana. Allegre was only here one year and I don't know how much he played but he then transferred to Texas for his final three years and no longer has any ties to Montana. I went through the same choice with Milan Lazetich. He was more similar to Allegre only playing one year here before going to Michigan. But I decided since he was a native Montanan and being nationally known for being an outstanding football player from Montana, often referred to as "The Sheriff" because of his time as a deputy sheriff in Deer Lodge, that I should include him. He may also have played his whole career at Montana had it not been for WW2. After his first year here he joined the Navy and when the war was over is when he signed on at Michigan. He also returned to Montana after his pro days were over.

I didn't include a FB because I believe it's a dying pos in the NFL plus it would have taken a spot from one of are great WR's. If I had it would have been Lex most likey just cus he's played longer and has slightly better numbers.

alabamagrizzly said:

It looks pretty damn good to me! What really stuck out to me is... I am pretty damn young compared to you old farts@ :lol:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ordigger said:
Also if you had included Kessman, you'd have lots of comments.

Hey buddy, it's an insult to Kessman to refer to him as "all-pro." He's all-world, if not all-universe.

griz5700 said:
Kroy's pick against the Browns... My gawd, so beautiful. One of the best plays in NFL history.

Awesome video. Like the end where Schillinger is congratulating him on the sideline.

HighLineGRIZ said:
griz5700 said:
Kroy's pick against the Browns... My gawd, so beautiful. One of the best plays in NFL history.

Awesome video. Like the end where Schillinger is congratulating him on the sideline.
I've watched the highlight a hundered times and I've never noticed Shann before. Montana boys stickin together

Throw Terry Falcon in there for O-line. I know he played a number of years in the NFL...too lazy to look it up, but late 70s into the 80s..Played for the NYJ and the pats..maybe more teams

Decided to bring this thread back since we got a couple new additions in Tripp and Coyle. I know they ain't played a snap yet but Montana has only had one LB go pro and stick in Milan Lazetich. McSurdy was supposed to be the second but an achillies injury basically killed those chances. I also updated the active players stats. Just thought it would be intresting to take another look.

Back