• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

All Conference recievers

griztastic

OK all you stat guys and gals....When was the last time in UM history that the Griz didn't have one reciever on the list?

Who cares? The answer your looking for is the fact that we didn't pass the DAMN BALL much this year. We all know it.
:mad:

No that's not the answer I'm looking for. If you don't know the answer, fine. And yes we didn't pass the ball....but don't you think it is an interesting question? I mean we are known for our passing game.

It's a stat question...you know 16 years over the cats....11 straight playoff appearances...most points scored by which kicker....ect.

The reason that we didn't throw the ball that much this year is cause our recievers can't get open. Talmage is a big target with great hands but is extremley unathletic. The rest of the crew just is small and really not that fast. Please don't tell me that LV is fast because he really isn't...he is very quick and follows blocks well but why didn't he ever get open when at wide out. Heidleberger has "good" speed but is so small that he can't really make a play unless the ball is thrown right to him

Baller1

Baller1 said:
The reason that we didn't throw the ball that much this year is cause our recievers can't get open. Talmage is a big target with great hands but is extremley unathletic.

From the 'roster' portion of the UM football website:
Talmage earned 10 letters at Orange Lutheran High School: four in soccer and three each in football and baseball. He was voted MVP of his soccer team following his junior and senior seasons. He was chosen football MVP his senior year.
Jon was an all-state selection (small schools), All-Orange County, All-CIF Southern Section, all-league first team, and offensive MVP as a senior in football. His senior year he had 85 receptions for 1,398 yards (16.4-yard average) and 15 touchdowns.
Career-wise he had 118 catches for 2,101 yards and 29 TDs. He was named to North-South All-Star and Los Angeles vs. Orange County All-Star games. He also kicked field goals and PATs as a prep and scored 375 career points.
He was also a standout in soccer; he was named to the Lutheran All-America team in soccer as a sophomore, junior, and senior.
It might be reasonable to consider him at least somewhat athletic, I'd say.

Baller1 continued and said:
The rest of the crew just is small and really not that fast. Please don't tell me that LV is fast because he really isn't... Heidleberger has "good" speed but is so small that he can't really make a play unless the ball is thrown right to him

From the UM roster website:
About Heidelberger
He is his high school’s record holder in the 100-meter dash
Maybe better than just 'good' speed.

About Segars
He earned eight letters as a prep: three each in football and track, and two in basketball. He was team captain in football and basketball as a senior. He was track MVP as a junior.
You don't become a track MVP just by being shify and elusive. You must also be quite fast. Although I do agree that he's even more dangerous when following blockers.

No disagreement about Oliver I guess, he is pretty tiny and his speed is unremarkable. He was great at running routes and hanging on when it was thrown his way though.

I know it's a moot point and rehashing the same stuff everyone's been saying on the board. I'm just tired of the few who are posting the "there wasn't much passing because the receivers weren't good enough to pass to" tripe.
Talmage is obviously a good athlete and is big, Walden is open any time he's an eligible receiver because he's 6'7" and 275 pounds, and Heidelberger and Segars are both legit deep threats because of their much-better-than-average speed, especially if the safeties are looking at some good play action featuring our bruising tailback.
We didn't throw to them for some reason - but lack of athletic skill or speed wasn't it.

Im with you griztastic! This years reciver corps just flat out stunk! The recievers at Carroll College are better then the ones we got. Like I said in my other posts, none of our recievers are big play makers. It doesnt surprise me one bit that none of our recievers made the list. People say its the QB or Coaching, but the fact is our recievers just dont get open! Im sure Jimmy Farris would have been all conference regaurdless of who was throwing him the ball.

fijigriz said:
Im with you griztastic! This years reciver corps just flat out stunk! The recievers at Carroll College are better then the ones we got. Like I said in my other posts, none of our recievers are big play makers. It doesnt surprise me one bit that none of our recievers made the list. People say its the QB or Coaching, but the fact is our recievers just dont get open! Im sure Jimmy Farris would have been all conference regaurdless of who was throwing him the ball.

fiji, we have essentially the same wr core we had last season, and a much better qb. yet the wrs #s are way down. its your right to have the opinion you do about the wrs, but i don't share it nor do the former Griz wrs i've spoken with.
Jimmy was a good wr, yet in the present system he wouldn't have done much and it would not be because of lack of talent.

Hold on, hold on. I didn't say anything about talent level. I simply am curious to know when the last time a Griz reciever didn't make the list. Reasons why don't concern me...I just want the year...that's all.

Don't know the year, but my guess would be the early 80's (I'll guess 82)during the Donovan years. They where running an option then.

Just got an e-mail from Dave Guffey at the sports information department at the University. We did not have a first or second team pick at wide receiver last year(2002). We did not have a first team pick in 1990. That's all the info he had.

Latest posts

Back