• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Academic Center a Go?

grizpack

eGriz Club
DONOR
House Bill 5 was signed by the Governor. It includes the Academic Center at UM. Does this mean it will be built in the near future? Anyone know where the private fund-raising is at on it?

http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2013/billpdf/HB0005.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haslam said groundbreaking on the much-needed and long-awaited student-athlete academic center at the Adams fieldhouse on campus is imminent, pending a signature from Gov. Steve Bullock to the legislation approving the construction.

The academic center will be funded entirely by $2.5 million in private money, Haslam said.

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/football/rachac-column-haslam-delaney-look-to-the-future-at-um/article_3cc24426-0704-51b4-888c-db3d53da08af.html#ixzz2ScIJosfv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grizpack said:
House Bill 5 was signed by the Governor. It includes the Academic Center at UM. Does this mean it will be built in the near future? Anyone know where the private fund-raising is at on it?

http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2013/billpdf/HB0005.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61849&p=866932#p866932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prior to leaving, Schweitzer did not signoff; good to see Bullock did. Expect ground breaking this fall.

Brock Landers said:
Where's it going in the Adams Center?

It will go in the 'courtyard' area between Adams and the Rec Center. My understanding is that it will built so that entry/exit from Adams in underneath.

MrTitleist said:
About time.. huge step for Grizzly athletics.
:lol: :lol:

The only thing this will accomplish is we now have a building, with no academic staff, for athletes to study in. Wait, what's that? ANY student can use the facility? Huh, thought we had enough study halls. But at least now we have a bulilding with the word Academic on it in front of the Adams Center.

This should not have been a priority. A weight room that is nicer than the ones recruits had in High School should be a priority.

WaGriz4life said:
MrTitleist said:
About time.. huge step for Grizzly athletics.
:lol: :lol:

The only thing this will accomplish is we now have a building, with no academic staff, for athletes to study in. Wait, what's that? ANY student can use the facility? Huh, thought we had enough study halls. But at least now we have a bulilding with the word Academic on it in front of the Adams Center.

This should not have been a priority. A weight room that is nicer than the ones recruits had in High School should be a priority.

BINGO. The order of priority turned out to be an olive-branch, period.

The order should have been as follows.

1) Locker Rooms
2) Weight Rooms
3) Academic Center

Without the academic center this would be a non-starter. You have to sell this to donors, campus staff, students, etc. Now that the academic center is green-lighted the weight rooms can now be a priority, as soon as they figure out where to put the art kids. In the mean time, money can be raised to get weight room going. This had to be done, and there's a lot of moving parts.

MrTitleist said:
Without the academic center this would be a non-starter. You have to sell this to donors, campus staff, students, etc. Now that the academic center is green-lighted the weight rooms can now be a priority, as soon as they figure out where to put the art kids. In the mean time, money can be raised to get weight room going. This had to be done, and there's a lot of moving parts.
You are more optomistic than I about new locker rooms/weight rooms being built in the near future. I have a hard time believing that our current leadership will approve a facility that is not accessible to the entire student body. Do you know if these "athlete only" facilities have already been approved?

WaGriz4life said:
MrTitleist said:
You are more optomistic than I about new locker rooms/weight rooms being built in the near future. I have a hard time believing that our current leadership will approve a facility that is not accessible to the entire student body. Do you know if these "athlete only" facilities have already been approved?

WaGriz4life, that information is out of your network.

Weight rooms recruit players.

Academic Centers recruit Moms.

I'll leave it to you to decide which is more important.

WaGriz4life said:
MrTitleist said:

I believe it will happen, and within a year or so. Last I heard they were looking at the small parking lot between the swimming pool and Aber hall for the location. A new tunnel underground that will tie into the existing tunnel so the team will still enter the field in the same location. It's real and is going to happen.

WaGriz4life said:

If the funds are raised privately and the students aren't paying for it I don't know that approval would be a huge deal.

MrTitleist said:

Don't think the current plan involves moving anyone, including art kids. Separate new building. See Hammer's post.

I'm not sure I understand the comment in the second sentence above.

I wonder who's putting up the $2 million portion not coming from GSA. I wonder if there will be enough donor appetite and capacity left to raise additional funds for weight and locker rooms on the heals of the academic center.

Without the academic getting in the way, a new weight room building could have been built and in operation by now, in my view.

PlayerRep said:
MrTitleist said:

Don't think the current plan involves moving anyone, including art kids. Separate new building.

I wonder who's putting up the $2 million portion not coming from GSA. I wonder if there will be enough donor appetite and capacity left to raise additional funds for weight and locker rooms on the heals of the academic center.

Without the academic getting in the way, a new weight room building could have been built and in operation by now, in my view.

That's good news.. that was the hang-up in the original plan.. the art kids and where they were going to go.

I hope there's enough donor appetite to fund the weight rooms.. Haslam better put that fundraising background to work and get donors excited.. he's got some work to do to repair the relationship between donors and what Main Hall has pulled over the last year.

MrTitleist said:
PlayerRep said:
MrTitleist said:

Don't think the current plan involves moving anyone, including art kids. Separate new building.

That's good news.. that was the hang-up in the original plan.. the art kids and where they were going to go.

I hope there's enough donor appetite to fund the weight rooms.. Haslam better put that fundraising background to work and get donors excited.. he's got some work to do to repair the relationship between donors and what Main Hall has pulled over the last year.

Yup. The good news is that the weight room is a project that could Haslam bring athletic donors back to the fold. The fits, starts, delays, and multiple "plans" over the past 10 years have probably hurt the cause. There was a donor years ago, a friend of Hauck's, who would have made a very large donation for weight and locker rooms, but I believe he has now lost interest.

Back