• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

A question for EWU fans.

Turner Brown

Name one player who would not leave the EWU football program to come to Grizville and play football next year, if it did not cost them a year of sitting out.

I think he has got ya there. ANd be honest, don't convince yourself that they all would stay because they buy into the building up of the program. (Which I do think is happening)

Turner Brown said:
Name one player who would not leave the EWU football program to come to Grizville and play football next year, if it did not cost them a year of sitting out.

Gee. I don't know. All? None? How the hell would I know? Your argument suggests that all the best 1-AA caliber players would go to Montana before other BSC schools, right? So in essence, we must not have any good players, because if any of them were any good, they would be at Montana. Damn, I don't what to say to that....You really got me there.

That question is probably best answered by looking at players that don't play, looking for a place toget some PT. I sure don't know the answer...what I do know is that there are several EWU players that were offered full schollys at UM but decided on EWU.

Hey Turner Brown, I am as much a finatic about Griz football as anyone, but we are sounding a bit arrogant to think anyone would come to Missoula because we have the best atmosphere. As noted earlier, most EW players are from Washington State and have an opportunity to play in front of family/friends. I am sure the school curriculum also helps to bring in some recruits.
I agree with you to a certain point, why wouldn't a kid want to play in front of 23K+ crazies on a great surface. But we really dont know what was best for an individual kid. Obviously a good fan base, good field etc are not alway important or why would any player go to ISU. If it wasnt for our great atmosphere, I feel we would have a lot of trouble competing with other schools like EWU that are closer to large population centers. They are fortunate they dont need a good following etc. to help draw recruits. IMHO, the EW coach has done a good job recruiting, but just an average job coaching the recruit.

I have to agree with you Native. It baffles me why any Montana kid would want to go to EWU, but I totally understand why a Washington kid would choose EWU over Montana. Being close to family, home state pride, better chance at significant playing time, closer to an urban setting are all valid reasons. That being said, I think Montana will almost always win a head to head recruiting battle over EWU.

A better question for EWU fans might be: for those of you coming to the game, how many are bringing Krispy Kreme's with you for the morning tailgates?

Heres a few WA prospects, anyone know whats happening with them?

DE Evan Ruud
DT Mike Mayer
CB Quinton Jackson
CB Reggie Jones

What a lame question. Do you know that some football players actually pick a school these days based on academics/programs the school offers and not if they have a very nice football stadium? Come on. Talk up your team, but asking a question like that is just stupid. There ARE MANY ISSUES why players choose a school and it doesn't just boil down to that they have a nice football program. Things that come to mind are, college location/college academic programs/is that program accredited/price/coaches/campus life. So the answer to your question is NO .. not all EWU players want to GO TO COLLEGE at UM. What percent of 1-AA players actually make it to the pros? So is the college and its academics important to most players? I would think it would be. But maybe that is secondary at UM. Lets hope not.

Hey Wildpussie...After listing all the reasons why an athlete would go to a school for reasons other than a good stadium..... ie education, location ect... I still havent heard why anyone would go to Bozo U!!!!! :roll:

Here's some things MSU has that UM doesn't which could be reasons to go to school there:

1. Better Skiing
2. Engineering Program
3. Smaller City
4. Colder, but more sunny days than Missoula
5. More conservative environment (less tree huggers)

And don't forget less SMOG. COUGH COUGH. I can't believe the Griz moved their team to another city this fall because of the forest fire smoke. Its like that in the winter there :)

I understand the point that you were trying to make, Turner, although you went about saying it in kind of a strange way. But let me use this example to illustrate the point that I think some of the people on here are tring to make. I know we are talking about football, but it is all college sports just the same. Take Eric Henkel, obviously an outstanding basketball player from the state of Montana; Missoula, no less. He came to Eastern to play basketball. Now why would a kid from Missoula go play basketball at Eastern as opposed to Montana? Maybe just because he was offered a scholarship here, and Montana did not. Maybe because of a particular academic program. (Which is why kids go to college in the first place) Maybe because he liked the playing enviroment or the coaches, or maybe he just wanted to be part of a winning program that is definately on the rise in the Big Sky Conference. Could be all of the above, but who knows. Point is, there are a lot of reasons that kids pick particular schools over others, it doesn't have everything to do with the stadium, etc.

No ... Eric wanted to go here, like his dad, like his sister. But, his offer was withdrawn by Kennedy -- sigh! So, he took the offer from EWU and (to be honest and a little bit dis-loyal), I hope he comes back here and shows UM just what they threw away!

It is a shame whatever happened with Henkle, we really need to keep the best kids from Montana at Montana. However, 62Griz, it is my hope that Henkle will spend the next 4 years wishing he had walked on at Montana instead of taking the scholie at EWU - nothing personal against the kid, but I can't root against the Griz for the sake of one kid.

That sucks about Henkle. Montana kids seem to get the shaft by UM basketball, and not just by Kennedy. Ryan Dick and Mike Warhank were both asked to walk on and didn't get scholarships until their 3rd year in the program. There are probably others that I am not thinking of as well.

Grizbeer - No one answered about the Krispy Kremes :roll:

Come on EWU fans. That IS one thing you have that we don't!!!!

keep in mind guys, that EWU has lower academic standards than UM and MSU for that matter.
Kramer said that about a third of the players he had at EWU would have never been able to qualify at MSU(or UM).

grizpack said:
Grizbeer - No one answered about the Krispy Kremes :roll:

Come on EWU fans. That IS one thing you have that we don't!!!!

Yeah, I guess if nobody brings the Krispy Kremes we will just have to crack open some (eagle) eggs instead.

GrizMania said:
keep in mind guys, that EWU has lower academic standards than UM and MSU for that matter.
Kramer said that about a third of the players he had at EWU would have never been able to qualify at MSU(or UM).

That's laughable. Consider the source.

Back