• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

A modest proposal: JD Quinn

BWahlberg

DONOR
In the DOLA thread a little side-bar discussion got started on JD Quinn as a possible heir-apparent to being an O-line coach down as a possibility. A few posters even mentioned that the idea of returning to coach and helping the OL would be intriguing for JD.

I am not familiar with the structure of college-level coaching. It seems to me that a lot of guys come into coaching opportunities first as grad-assistants. Our current running backs coach, Justin Green, is an awesome example. GA for a while, worked with the entire offense, then the opportunity for running backs coach opened up last year, and our running backs have thrived under the guy.

I can't help but wonder if that might be a route that would suit JD. He could spend some time working with Scott Gragg and Kfense Hynson to get on-page with their system and expectations. He could also start to bring back that mean edge to the offensive line and dominant attitude we saw when he was here, which I'd love to see again.

Gragg & Quinn = Oil & Water

Not bashing either guy, but it seems that those two personalities would not mesh well. But you never know, sometimes opposites attract. Just ask Paula Abdul and that animated cat that she was bangin' back in the early 90's. Worked for them.

StumptownGriz said:

Not bashing either guy, but it seems that those two personalities would not mesh well. But you never know, sometimes opposites attract. Just ask Paula Abdul and that animated cat that she was bangin' back in the early 90's. Worked for them.
I understand that he was the one that introduced her to opiates.

StumptownGriz said:

I didn't think Gragg and Beers were the best combo in terms of personalities either, especially now in hindsight but they worked together pretty well with the product on the field. It would be an interesting mix, JD and Gragg though...

While I loved Quinn as a player, I would like to say that just because you're a good player doesn't mean that you'll make a good coach.

alabamagrizzly said:
PTGrizzly said:
While I loved Quinn as a player, I would like to say that just because you're a good player doesn't mean that you'll make a good coach.
It probably helps a little

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

There are plenty of coaches who never played at any level, and plenty of coaches who did. It would be ignorant to say that he would be a good coach just because he's a good player though.

I know he would love to come back to Missoula and help the team any way he can. Remember he played under one of the best 5A coaches in Texas in high school and played at Oklahoma as a true freshman garnering Honorable Mention All-American that year. I think it is safe to say he knows a lot about football, more than most. ;) I also think he has matured significantly and would be a much better fit than most would believe.

Didn't JD play for the Chicago Bears after UM? If he could teach other linemen to play the way he did, man what a O-line we could have again!

info said:
bhumble said:
Isn't he the guy that chop blocked the guy from Weber and ended his career? What a coach.

No, it was a different lineman..

Cody Balogh. Pissed the Weber fans off so bad they put this in their student paper the following week:

Balogh%20cartoon.png

A year late Weber got revenge and did it to Carson Bender.

Out of curiousity, if he played, and sounds like he played well in OK as a frosh, what brought him to zootown?

Back