• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

#7 Montana vs Weber State Game Thread

get'em_griz

DONOR
1097955_223018517848099_296463383_n.png

#7 MONTANA GRIZZLIES (8-2, 4-2 BSC) vs WEBER STATE WILDCATS (06, 1-9 BSC)
Saturday, November 16, 2013 at 12:07 pm MT
Washington-Grizzly Stadium (25,203) - Missoula, MT

TV: Televised by Max Media (FOX) in Montana.
RADIO: Veteran Mick Holien is in his 21st season calling the play-by-play and the "Voice of the Grizzlies." Scott Gurnsey provides in-booth color, while Greg Sundberg serves as the sideline reporter. UM's flagship station is KGVO 1290 AM & 101.5 FM.

Series: Montana leads 39-13 and has won 13 of the last 15. The last Wildcats' win in Missoula was 29-26 in 1987, and WSU has lost 13 games in a row in Missoula.
Last Game: Montana won 24-21 in Ogden in 2012.

Griz Taking Nothing for Granted Against Weber State

It’s been a while since the Montana football team filled the role of decided favorite.

The last time was probably Sept. 21 when it played host to NCAA Division II Oklahoma Panhandle State.

The big question, heading into Saturday’s 12:07 p.m. home test against Weber State (1-9), is will the seventh-ranked Griz be in the right frame of mind?

Not to worry, says senior guard William Poehls.

“I don’t think we’re going to have any problem getting up for this game,” he offered. “It’s going to be our last regular-season home game and it’s going against Coach Pflugrad, so that’s got to add something to a lot of the older guys.”

That’s Robin Pflugrad, for the record. He was head coach of the Grizzlies two years ago when they reached the semifinal round of the FCS playoffs. Months later he was cut loose by UM President Royce Engstrom for reasons that have never been disclosed. Then this summer the Griz vacated three wins from that banner season as a result of NCAA infractions.

Pflugrad is the offensive coordinator for the Wildcats, who would like nothing better than to ruin Montana’s playoff plans. The problem is they appear to lack the overall manpower and necessary confidence after dropping nine games in a row and 18 of 21 under second-year head coach Jody Sears.

“I wish we would have had more success these last two years,” Sears said. “At the same time winning is a process.”

Part of the process has been adapting to the spread option offense Pflugrad implemented this season. It takes a while to master, as Griz fans can attest after watching their team post a 7-4 record back in 2010 in Pflugrad’s first season at the helm.

Making life even more difficult for the Wildcats this Saturday is the fact Montana’s defense knows the spread option inside and out. Montana (8-2) used the scheme while Pflugrad was in Missoula and kept it last season when Delaney took over.

“They love the hurry-up,” Montana defensive tackle Caleb Kidder said. “We’re all very familiar here with that offense.

“We’ve all gone against it all last year, then the guys previous when Pflugrad was here. We feel like we know the offense.”

Delaney explained Tuesday why his team ditched the spread option in favor of a more traditional pro set attack last spring.

“They’ll hurry, hurry, hurry,” he said of Weber. “That’s good as long as you’re getting first downs. Now if you’re hurrying and not getting first downs, then you’re exposing your defense a little bit, too.

“I felt that was happening to us here a little last year. That was one of the reasons we contemplated doing something different. More importantly, this (pro set) is something I knew better than the spread.”

Weber may find solace in the fact it has played well lately.

Last week the Wildcats dropped a 27-21 home decision to Southern Utah. WSU piled up 350 yards of offense, compared to 259 for the Thunderbirds. The Wildcats shot themselves in the foot though with two costly turnovers and 124 yards in penalties.

“We played so hard and they want to win so bad, but we have to be smarter,” Sears said. “We played with a lot of heart and passion. We just can’t make mistakes.

“We did a lot of good things ... and we have to stay committed and continue to improve.”

Back on Oct. 19, the Wildcats gave Montana State all it could handle in Ogden before losing, 34-16. WSU totaled 497 yards of offense compared to 479 for Montana State.

Trailing 21-16, the Wildcats were driving for a potential go-ahead TD early in the fourth quarter when a fumble in Montana State territory swayed the momentum back to the Bobcats.

Montana has won five of its last six games and two in a row. The general consensus is they’ll secure a spot in the playoffs with one more victory.

The Grizzlies’ last three wins have come in nail-biters. That includes overtime victories against Cal Poly and Sacramento State and a 31-27 decision at South Dakota Saturday in a game the Coyotes led by seven with less than eight minutes to play.

“It was a testimony of how resilient our players and coaches are,” Delaney said. “They seem to be able to react to whatever the situation is.

“That game probably more than any of the three previous ones that were so close was even a little further out of touch maybe from the standpoint that we were on defense. We had to get a turnover and have a two-score situation of some kind or another.”

The game-winning score came on an Ellis Henderson 98-yard kickoff return. Delaney explained Tuesday that Henderson has not returned a lot of kickoffs lately because he has a full plate with his responsibilities at wideout.

“Coach Brunnelle and Cookus said, ‘Can we put Ellis in?’ ” Delaney related, referring to co-special teams coaches Ross Brunelle and Jake Cookus. “I said, ‘You bet you can. Let’s go for it.’

“We escaped with our lives.”

QUICK KICKS: Griz wideout Taylor Walcott had surgery on his ankle last week, Delaney announced. The rest of his walking wounded, the likes of which include running backs Travon Van and Joey Counts and wideout Mitch Saylor, are day-to-day ... The Wildcats rank dead last in the Big Sky Conference in scoring offense (15.2 ppg), scoring defense (44.8 ppg), total offense (302.8 ypg), total defense (503.7 ypg) and rushing defense (243.7 ypg) ... Max Media will air Saturday’s senior day game. That includes subscribers of Charter (channel 2 in Missoula), DirectTV (channel 24) and DISH (channel 17).

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/griz-taking-nothing-for-granted-against-weber-state/article_b090f63e-4c30-11e3-b199-001a4bcf887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just hope our guys come out ready and play up to their ability. If they do this one will be in hand before halftime. It would be nice to let our twos and threes handle the 2nd half.
:ugeek:

I know were suppose to be "classy" but i want the griz to absolutely throttle weber... Even if the game is in hand at the half, I want to see a full on beating....

Mt-61
Webs- 17

Good luck Coach Delaney and the Griz team vs. Weber. I won't be saying this next week for the big showdown. It is going to be one hell of a game!

I am so ready for tomorrow's game! Won't be making the trip to Missoula tomorrow (saving up for a playoff game :thumb: ) but for those of you who are driving over, drive safe! The weather is starting to turn south here in Helena, so it looks like the snow isn't too far away. Go Griz!

Heading up on the mountain somewhere near the Idaho border with my backpack and a sleeping bag for a couple of days to look for that elusive mule deer I will never find.

Will be back in time to see Mondays rankings. Here is a little something to get pumped up pre game....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSmtHBMjXLU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Let's get ready to rumble! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!"

Cheers

signedbewildered said:
Heading up on the mountain somewhere near the Idaho border with my backpack and a sleeping bag for a couple of days to look for that elusive mule deer I will never find.

Will be back in time to see Mondays rankings. Here is a little something to get pumped up pre game....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSmtHBMjXLU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers

He says a backpack and a sleeping bag.....

:lol:

grizcountry420 said:
signedbewildered said:

Cheers

He says a backpack and a sleeping bag.....

:lol:

A blind man walks into a bar.....and a table....and a chair.

Back