• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

6-2 with 4 games left

HookedonGriz

DONOR
The Griz are once again facing some adversity. They are currently a 6-2 team (not too shabby considering what they went through last year). There are 4 games left on the schedule with each bringing its own challenges.....Sac St, South Dakota, Weber, and the Cats. The truth is, the Griz have the talent and ability to win all 4 of those games. If they don't show up to play, they also have the ability to lose these games (especially with 3 on the road).

I, for one, feel this team will show up and play. Even if they take 3 out of 4, they finish at 9-3 overall and make the playoffs. Heck, based on the bidding process, they probably host a playoff game at that point. I think after last year, every single one of us should be thrilled with that potential. I think people also forget that EWU is the number 3 team in the nation. A win yesterday would have been an upset. Do I expect and hope for a Griz victory every time they take the field....you're damn right I do. Do I think it's automatic...not in this conference. They gave one of the best teams in the nation a run for their money and almost pulled out an upset victory.

After seeing them not fold with Cal Poly and not give up with EWU, they have plenty of fight. These kids know what's on the line and know what they have to do. I will be the biggest Griz fan either way over the next 4 games and into the playoffs! Go Griz!

This team has what it takes to win the next 4 and head into the playoffs red hot, I have no doubt in my mind.

BWahlberg said:
This team has what it takes to win the next 4 and head into the playoffs red hot, I have no doubt in my mind.

Agree 100 percent....and that's where the real season starts!

Sac State could be a tough one, South Dakota looks like UC Davis to me, solid team but lacking something that can get them over the threshold. Even with the coaching, Weber should be won pretty easily. We all know the Cats will bring their A-Game.

Just take it one game at a time and keep pushing.

Possible losses: Sacramento, South Dakota, Montana St

The team has the talent to win the rest of the games this season BUT the coaching staff will not allow it. We have soo many weapons on offense and we are about as conservative as watching womens basketball. Good Lord open up the playbook and let JJ take control of this team. Let him make the calls. We also need to be able to turn turnover into points after our defesne give them the ball back.

Defesively I think we are too conservative and aren't getting to the QB enough. If we are going to continue to give up big plays we might as well be bringing the house, than seeing a bunch of us spread all over the field playing a week zone. Adams made mistakes when he was running for his life but rushing 4 womt cut it. Secondary yesterday got beat 9.5 times out of ten. How many times yesterday did Easterns WR's go up and make a play on the ball and come down with it? I dunno, I quit counting. I seen a lot of DB's an LB's running down the field with their heads down not looking for the ball. Eastern did a nice job with mismatches.. We had LB's lined up on guys they should have been lined up against and too many missed tackles. Eastern had too many YAC yards, way too many. We have to clean that up.

Its going to be a dogfight these next 4 games. I just hope the coaches realize what they are letting slip away..

Sac state seems really overrated their three big sky wins are all against pathetic teams. Let's remember this is the same team that almost lost to Southern Oregon in OT. shouldn't be too difficult

Question... Has there ever been a team who didn't win their conference title but still made it to the National Championship game?

HookedonGriz said:
BWahlberg said:

Agree 100 percent....and that's where the real season starts!
I'm with you 2 on this 100%!!!
GO GRIZ!!!!

BWahlberg said:

Yes but do the Griz really control their own destiny to a conference title? I'm not sure. How many BSC teams will make it into the playoffs this year, two or three? What if NAU runs the table? You gotta assume that EWU has the inside track to the BSC title but a loss to MSU at home next week could hurt the Griz even if they beat MSU in Bozeman. How do the Griz fare on conference tie breakers? There is a lot of uncertainty surrounding the next four weeks. Should be interesting.

BWahlberg said:

:clap: :clap:
I believe the Griz do win out and will host a couple playoff games. Lots of football to be played, fellers!

i would not put this on the players to show up to play as i would on the coaches to show up to coach. they got out coached yesterday on offense with the first down quick throws for positive yardage and making the right play calling when they needed it...especially on the td to archer with kanangota covering...their d line and linebackers, especially 39 played with a lot of intensity..that confidence can also come with being prepared to out play us.... given to them by their coaches.
sure we still need to tackle better, play better assignment football with greater vision on the oline and all contribute to block an opponent which i saw several missed opportunities or lame attempts to complete the block.
we can win if we are prepared to play the other team.....whoever they are cause we do have the talent...with maybe one exception of our secondary...missed opportunities and missed assignments that still keep us mediocre...not exceptional.

I love the "we were out coached" line. Not that hardly anyone posting on egriz would have a clue about that subject or be able to know that, but let's use it anyway. It's the internet. Everyone is an expert.

so i assume that you did not see any areas in our offense or defense that needed better preparation yesterday? go back and watch the game using the pause/slow button you may be surprised. did you listen to coach ty on the post game yesterday?....he admitted that he did not prepare his players as he should and he even said that he takes the blame...it takes a mature, honest person with integrity to admit to his shortcomings....am i using too bigga words....going too fast? we were out coached by play calling, assignment preparation and fundamentals...that is not to say that we are not good...but the bar is higher than just ok....so constructive insight (not by us) but by the coaches could improve our play to be superior.....it that to high of a bar to strive for? i thought we were here to do our best.....but then again i have not been here before.

zirge said:
so i assume that you did not see any areas in our offense or defense that needed better preparation yesterday? go back and watch the game using the pause/slow button you may be surprised. did you listen to coach ty on the post game yesterday?....he admitted that he did not prepare his players as he should and he even said that he takes the blame...it takes a mature, honest person with integrity to admit to his shortcomings....am i using too bigga words....going too fast? we were out coached by play calling, assignment preparation and fundamentals...that is not to say that we are not good...but the bar is higher than just ok....so constructive insight (not by us) but by the coaches could improve our play to be superior.....it that to high of a bar to strive for? i thought we were here to do our best.....but then again i have not been here before.

Can you be more specific?

PlayerRep said:
I love the "we were out coached" line. Not that hardly anyone posting on egriz would have a clue about that subject or be able to know that, but let's use it anyway. It's the internet. Everyone is an expert.

I couldn't agree with you more PR. It was EWU 's talent and their ability to make the plays that led to their win.

Washgrizfan1 said:
zirge said:

It's 4th and 8, lets kick a FG...no actually its 4th and 1.... You asked :D

putter said:
Washgrizfan1 said:
zirge said:

It's 4th and 8, lets kick a FG...no actually its 4th and 1.... You asked :D
This!

Washgrizfan1 said:
zirge said:

yes...but i would rather you watch the game and slow it down and you will be able to see what the o line is missing, what the secondary is doing or not doing and the level of intensity of each team and then make the call.
1.however, i will sight a few.....the eagles are 5-0 when they are ahead at halftime...got that from the m and g pregame show and they said (and i agree) something to the affect that we should play at a level that would not make that a plus factor for the eagles, play them on our terms not theirs.
2.secondly, hermy may have been good at one time a couple of years ago but he should not be a starter for the griz....if you look at the play in the first half where cooper kup goes up for that floater that vernon should not have put up (even the announcers on tv said that) hermy was in the best position to make that play, he was in front of the play, he saw it coming, (you slow down the replay and you see it) the only thing that he did not see what the cooper in front of him with his back to the play and did not get the inside position, but cooper did to make an amazing play on the ball....who wants it gets it, if you ever played the game.
3.also in the second quarter please note his tackling is opened arm no wrap and is fundamentally non threatening and his misses tackling the runner.
4.then there is coverage again with cooper just before the end of the second half we have 3 defensive players back there and he makes the catch and breaks 2 tackles for the td.
it was also mentioned on egriz, i think it was alpha that he counted 5 missed tackles for a td in the south endzone in the second half on a 10yd run
5.please watch the game and you will see several times that our o line is not effective to keep on the block for pass protection, creating holes, especially on broken plays were you have to really be aware of what is going on so you know who you should block...several missed stuff there. no excuses at this level....this is flatout coaching. did this happen every single time...NO..however, this is a game of percentages and you had better be in the upper 10% or you are not playing in championship games.
6 lastly, this is getting obsurd.....please look at the film and see who is creating blocks beyond the line of scrimmage on the lb's to give us more power to the run.....you would be shocked.
AGAIN...not saying we are not good....you have to understand there is difference between good, very good and excellent.....eagles overall where excellent from an objective view, we need to really look at our overall program compared to what it has been from a subjective view.
so......it comes down to this imo, i mentioned in another thread about yesterdays game it will come down to who you play, where you play them and how they are coached to play
kanangota defending a player on a 68yd pass play is just one example of this.
there are others but i have said enough.

get'em_griz said:
Question... Has there ever been a team who didn't win their conference title but still made it to the National Championship game?

I believe James Madison did the year they beat us.
If I'm remembering correctly every playoff game they played was on the road.

Latest posts

Back