• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

4th down haters and critics, where are you

PlayerRep

I was in favor of all of UM's 4th down attempts. Showed an aggressive mentality, and confidence in the team. Hats off to CP for stopping some of them.

Critics, let's hear you criticism, and why.

No criticism for going for it on 4th down....now, the play calling - I could criticize that

Had no problem with any of the 4th downs. Delayed draw was a terrible call, but had no problem with going for it at any time. BUT, the Griz are going to need a FG at some point this season. Look what special team's issues did to Poly today.

I think most people aren't upset by the fact we went for it. It's mostly that their play calling was dog shit on the 4th down

PlayerRep said:
I was in favor of all of UM's 4th down attempts. Showed an aggressive mentality, and confidence in the team. Hats off to CP for stopping some of them.

Critics, let's hear you criticism, and why.
esu3u8es.jpg

Was thinking this might be a thread about Poly not going for it on their last offensive play in regulation.

griz8791 said:
Was thinking this might be a thread about Poly not going for it on their last offensive play in regulation.

Good point. Look where CP's non-aggressive play-call got them. A blocked FG and a loss. Goes to show that a FG is not automatic. I thought CP might go for it and end the game with a first down. On the other hand, I had no problem with CP's call. The percentage is high that they will get the FG and win the game. CP punted several times, where I thought they might go for it too.

Okay PR I'll bite, again.

Gaming strategy can apply across games, and as any great poker player will say, there are times to be aggressive and times to play things closer to the vest. You seem to always be in favor of the 4th down aggression. I'll concede that a coach should play to his personality and the personality of his team. If Delaney is of the same mindset as you, so be it. I'll just have to sit back and see how it plays out.

While not always against the 4th down try for the line to gain (or TD as it may be), I am more inclined to put up points whenever the opportunity presents itself. When I'm against 4th down aggression is when I feel the pot odds favor taking an X% attempt at 3 points rather than a Y% attempt at 6 points.

And as far as the confidence in your team goes, I guess we just disagree. I believe you can show confidence in your team in a variety of ways. And yes, kicking FGs is one of those ways.

"Guys, we have the better team and we will chip away. They may think they have us, but we're going to methodically attack them and in the end we will prevail because we are better."

mtgriz said:
Okay PR I'll bite, again.

Gaming strategy can apply across games, and as any great poker player will say, there are times to be aggressive and times to play things closer to the vest. You seem to always be in favor of the 4th down aggression. I'll concede that a coach should play to his personality and the personality of his team. If Delaney is of the same mindset as you, so be it. I'll just have to sit back and see how it plays out.

While not always against the 4th down try for the line to gain (or TD as it may be), I am more inclined to put up points whenever the opportunity presents itself. When I'm against 4th down aggression is when I feel the pot odds favor taking an X% attempt at 3 points rather than a Y% attempt at 6 points.

And as far as the confidence in your team goes, I guess we just disagree. I believe you can show confidence in your team in a variety of ways. And yes, kicking FGs is one of those ways.

"Guys, we have the better team and we will chip away. They may think they have us, but we're going to methodically attack them and in the end we will prevail because we are better."

Or, we have confidence in our O and JJ to get the TD (look at the last 4th down play yesterday), but if we don't, we'll have NAU on their 2 or 1 and have confidence in our D holding them to a 3 and out, perhaps causing a bad punt, and perhaps even causing a turnover; and then we have confidence that with 3 TO's in the time remaining, JJ and the O can move down the field and get a score (again look at last drive yesterday). Also, short FG's are usually made (but again look at CP's blocked FG yesterday). Some of you watch too many (conservative) NFL games. College football is different.

On our first touchdown yesterday, we had to convert a fourth down before the touchdown. If not for that fourth down conversion it would have been a different game

If deciding to go for it inside the red zone/goal line why all the passing attempts? Why not run it up the gut?! 1st, 2nd, 3rd down, especially 1-2yds, for th TD. The power is there. If that fails THEN decide the final attempt or FG?...why not this. OT is exciting but why put the team in the situation if the Win can be secured in regular game time.

In the first couple of games, they would bring in a couple of x-tra lineman on those short yardage, haven't saw that lately.

PlayerRep said:
Or, we have confidence in our O and JJ to get the TD (look at the last 4th down play yesterday), but if we don't, we'll have NAU on their 2 or 1 and have confidence in our D holding them to a 3 and out, perhaps causing a bad punt, and perhaps even causing a turnover; and then we have confidence that with 3 TO's in the time remaining, JJ and the O can move down the field and get a score (again look at last drive yesterday). Also, short FG's are usually made (but again look at CP's blocked FG yesterday). Some of you watch too many (conservative) NFL games. College football is different.

You finally got it. Subsequent events show that we are correct at times on the 4th down call and other times we're wrong.

I think you probably watch too many John Wayne movies. College football isn't different.

mtgriz said:
PlayerRep said:

You finally got it. Subsequent events show that we are correct at times on the 4th down call and other times we're wrong.

I think you probably watch too many John Wayne movies. College football isn't different.

:lol:

PlayerRep said:
Good point. Look where CP's non-aggressive play-call got them. A blocked FG and a loss. Goes to show that a FG is not automatic. I thought CP might go for it and end the game with a first down. On the other hand, I had no problem with CP's call. The percentage is high that they will get the FG and win the game. CP punted several times, where I thought they might go for it too.

So first you state that "Goes to show that a FG is not automatic." Then you say "The percentage is high that they will get the FG and win the game." Then you follow up with "Also, short FG's are usually made (but again look at CP's blocked FG yesterday)""

Dude, you are all over the place there...maybe you better talk to your fellow coach Delaney about short field goals.

"Was Delaney concerned when Cal Poly went into field goal formation? Let’s just say the veteran skipper has been in the game long enough to realize the odds of blocking a short field are about the same as blocking an extra point.

“That should be automatic to cinch the game,” he offered. “We could not have beat them if they kicked that field goal.” -Missoulian-

Also, it's a good thing the prior two or three failed 4th down attempts took place and boosted the offense and defenses confidence or else maybe JJ and the O could not have moved down the field and gotten a score.

That is some pure college football knowledge right there. I can tell you do not watch too many (conservative) NFL games. :clap:

2013GrizFan said:
If deciding to go for it inside the red zone/goal line why all the passing attempts? Why not run it up the gut?! 1st, 2nd, 3rd down, especially 1-2yds, for th TD. The power is there. If that fails THEN decide the final attempt or FG?...why not this. OT is exciting but why put the team in the situation if the Win can be secured in regular game time.

This, if you are going for it use your strength...good post. :thumb:

Back