• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

49ers choose Erickson

Bronco

DONOR
As reported on ESPN.com
Dennis Erickson is heading back to the NFL. After four years at Oregon State, Erickson is the new coach of the San Francisco 49ers.
Erickson, being an ex-cat would send disgruntled players the cats’ way. Hope this will put a stop to that pipeline. My opinion.... it's not a good choice for the 49ers but good news for the Griz.

Maybe you should create a "Cream of Bison" soup can. Bottled of course by the gang in Missoula. One of the funniest graphics I saw was a "Cream of Spotted Owl" graphic that still cracks me up to this day...

I am curious to see where Oregon St. gets their new head coach. I wonder if they will promote an assistant or maybe they will look at the coaches from 1-AA?

I also think Joe Glenn (if he were still with the Griz) might have had a pretty good shot at it. Do you think he is kicking himself for not taking a little more time to look around until a better opportunity presented itself?

cadwiz30 said:
I am curious to see where Oregon St. gets their new head coach. I wonder if they will promote an assistant or maybe they will look at the coaches from 1-AA?

I also think Joe Glenn (if he were still with the Griz) might have had a pretty good shot at it. Do you think he is kicking himself for not taking a little more time to look around until a better opportunity presented itself?

Joe wanted out of here so fast it that it didn't really matter where he went. So, unlikely he will be kicking himself.

I predict OSU will find some upper level 1A assistant coach or a head coach from a lower level 1A school. Now doesn't this indicate 1A should be split into separate divisions, when I speak of two levels of 1A?

TrueGriz said:
Now doesn't this indicate 1A should be split into separate divisions, when I speak of two levels of 1A?

I agree but its already been done, we have BCS eligible teams and non BCS eligible teams.

Heard just now on ESPN that former OSU coach Mike Riley is interested in coming back to Corvallis. After his fiasco in San Diego he's currently with the Saints. Probably a good fit for both of them.

Joe wanted out of here so fast it that it didn't really matter where he went. So, unlikely he will be kicking himself.

You are the first I've heard this from. Where did you hear Glenn was in a rush to get out of Missoula at any cost? I'm serious, I'm not trying to be argumentative. I thought there were 445,000 reasons for Joe to go to Wyoming but his "wanting to get out of here so fast" wasn't one of them.

I'd be willing to bet he would rather have the OSU job than the Wyoming job, but who woulda thunk the 49ers would be dopey enough to fire Mariucci and hire Erickson? Of course, that's not to say OSU would have hired Glenn anyway, especially if the Riley rumor is true. Riley is the coach responsible for turning around Oregon State.

GrizBear - I also heard that Joe was very anxious to move on. In fact, I believe it was pretty well known that their house was for sale before the season was over. Anyone in the real estate business to verify that? I started hearing that in late October. I know Mrs. Glenn was with Gillespie.

Interestingly enough there is an editorial letter in the Missoulian today in which a lady claims in a letter sent to her by Glenn that he "hinted at his feeling of job insecurity" after Holst was fired. Add to that Och's comments when he signed that Glenn told him he probably wouldn't be here when he played and it sounds like Glenn probably never intended to coach at Montana past 2002. Add to this Glenn's statement that the fog at the Missoula airport caused him to miss his scheduled interview at Utah the next day after teh MCNeese loss, and it sure sounds like he was in a hurry to get out of here.

I too have to believe Glenn is kicking himself now. WSU and OSU both have a coaching change, he certainly woudl have had to have been a candidate for either. Maybe he has his hopes set on Nebraska.

Grizbeer said:
Interestingly enough there is an editorial letter in the Missoulian today in which a lady claims in a letter sent to her by Glenn that he "hinted at his feeling of job insecurity" after Holst was fired. Add to that Och's comments when he signed that Glenn told him he probably wouldn't be here when he played and it sounds like Glenn probably never intended to coach at Montana past 2002. Add to this Glenn's statement that the fog at the Missoula airport caused him to miss his scheduled interview at Utah the next day after teh MCNeese loss, and it sure sounds like he was in a hurry to get out of here.

I too have to believe Glenn is kicking himself now. WSU and OSU both have a coaching change, he certainly woudl have had to have been a candidate for either. Maybe he has his hopes set on Nebraska.

Maybe Glenn just likes bordering on .500. That's all he'll do down there. Yep, he moved to quickly.

Glenn surely did not set the world on fire here in Wyoming with this years recruiting class either, although he did not have a lot of time to recruit. On the other hand he may not be kicking himself as there is absolutely no was to go but up with the program. It has been so long since there was a decent coach at Wyoming that the bar is not real high...

GrizBeers,
respectfully, i disagree about Glenn being a candidate for either the WSU job or the OSU job. Not because he couldn't do it, but for 2 other reasons.
One, pac 10 schools would likely look at guys already in 1-a.
and more importantly WSU didn't even look elsewhere and hired from with in.
OSU is so late that they will likely hire from with-in and also they're high enough profile now that they'll be looking for a higher profile coach than Glenn.

GrizMania said:
GrizBeers,
respectfully, i disagree about Glenn being a candidate for either the WSU job or the OSU job. Not because he couldn't do it, but for 2 other reasons.
One, pac 10 schools would likely look at guys already in 1-a.
and more importantly WSU didn't even look elsewhere and hired from with in.
OSU is so late that they will likely hire from with-in and also they're high enough profile now that they'll be looking for a higher profile coach than Glenn.
You could be right, I really don't know. WSU did hire price from Weber State, though, so it is not unheard of for them to hire from 1-AA.

I thought it was strange they promoted Doba, who is 62, and this is his first head coaching job. Seems like they might have somebody in mind already, who maybe isn't available yet? How long did Erickson coach at Wyoming after leaving Idaho before WSU snapped him up? Could history repeat itself?

I just saw on TV that Oregon St. hired back Mike Riley. I know someone else mentioned that this was a possiblity but to me it is slightly suprising. Just goes to show you how it helps to not burn your bridges as you leave town, sometimes you might have to go get your old job back.

Latest posts

Back