• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

3rd and 13 Draw Play

mtgriz

DONOR
I know I'm stepping in it here, but I really don't think it was such a bonehead play call.

A draw play is designed to initially look like a pass play, thus it was what some might say a more creative play call than the drop back pass everyone on the defensive side and in the stands was expecting to see.

If a couple guys get blocked and Jordan Canada gets to the second level, I like his chances of getting 13+ yards down the field.

I haven't seen the play since seeing it live, but if Eastern was blitzing right into the gap the draw play was called, hats off to them for their correct scheme/guess on that play.

And finally, if they were blitzing and were in the backfield that quickly, it is very conceivable that a pass play was doomed as well.

Jensen seems to run the draw himself. This was a RB draw and it fooled nobody. I would actually love to see a few designed runs for JJ.

But that was not the worst 3rd-n-13 call in the game....

We haven't seen JJ bust any 55 yarders himself this year. Im not sure if he is a bit banged up from the NAU game still or if they just don't want him to run as much.

With most our RBs down with injuries will be interesting to see if JJ can take the hits and run a bit more.

At least once this year I have seen the Griz with just yards to go for a TD and JJ doesn't run it in but tries the hand off and it fails.... which seems frustrating considering he could have easily jogged in himself.

mtgriz said:
I know I'm stepping in it here, but I really don't think it was such a bonehead play call.

A draw play is designed to initially look like a pass play, thus it was what some might say a more creative play call than the drop back pass everyone on the defensive side and in the stands was expecting to see.

If a couple guys get blocked and Jordan Canada gets to the second level, I like his chances of getting 13+ yards down the field.

I haven't seen the play since seeing it live, but if Eastern was blitzing right into the gap the draw play was called, hats off to them for their correct scheme/guess on that play.

And finally, if they were blitzing and were in the backfield that quickly, it is very conceivable that a pass play was doomed as well.

Good point. Still I'd rather they get the tight ends more involved along with some slants to let the receiver try to make a play and get one or two guys to miss. The screen play is alright too but have not seen the Griz be really effective with it yet like back in the day.

And another thing that may help is not nearly always running it on first down. When they opened up the passing game late in the game it seemed to work better than those few run plays they are obsessed with.

Tokyogriz said:
We haven't seen JJ bust any 55 yarders himself this year. Im not sure if he is a bit banged up from the NAU game still or if they just don't want him to run as much.

With most our RBs down with injuries will be interesting to see if JJ can take the hits and run a bit more.

At least once this year I have seen the Griz with just yards to go for a TD and JJ doesn't run it in but tries the hand off and it fails.... which seems frustrating considering he could have easily jogged in himself.
You must have missed the times in the NAU and EWU games, where he tried it and fumbled near the goal line.

mtgriz said:
I.
If a couple guys get blocked and Jordan Canada gets to the second level, I like his chances of getting 13+ yards down the fieldl.
The way they stuffed the run all day, I don't.

Note the fumble on the 20 came on what appeared to be a zone read play. Personally, I wish we had run the zone read at least one less time.

havgrizfan said:
Agree..Fumbled exchange, not all on Travon as it turns out. Oh well, the EWU game is over..

Over? OVER??? Nothing is over until WE decide it is!!! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor???

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI[/youtube]

In many of the obvious passing situations when we had one back or no backs, EWU had a huge gap between D tackles and the linebackers were playing deep and over the slots. It sure looked like JJ could have picked up 8 or 10 yards running a QB draw, or when Canada was back there to pass block the shovel pass in the middle was there. 'Course I am more of a basketball guy...

havgrizfan said:
Agree..Fumbled exchange, not all on Travon as it turns out. Oh well, the EWU game is over..

I wouldn't mind another four quarters with these guys come December...if they can defeat the Griz twice then I can tip my cap and say EWU is the better team.

mtgriz said:
havgrizfan said:

I wouldn't mind another four quarters with these guys come December...if they can defeat the Griz twice then I can tip my cap and say EWU is the better team.

So... you can't say that right now? These guys were up on you 41 to 17 heading into the 4th quarter, IN YOUR HOUSE. Yes, I agee you made a furious comeback and made it look respectable but let's face it, you know EWU had to have slowed down a bit when they looked up and aw 41-17. Wa-Griz is worth anywhere from 10 to 14 points depending on who you ask.

If you play them ten times on a neutral field... EWU wins nine.

poorgriz said:
mtgriz said:
havgrizfan said:

So... you can't say that right now? These guys were up on you 41 to 17 heading into the 4th quarter, IN YOUR HOUSE. Yes, I agee you made a furious comeback and made it look respectable but let's face it, you know EWU had to have slowed down a bit when they looked up and aw 41-17. Wa-Griz is worth anywhere from 10 to 14 points depending on who you ask.

Mmmm.....I can admit that EWU is the better team, but I don't think they win 9 of 10. 6, maybe 7. Alot of the damage was our own doing...you like to think those things are correctable.

poorgriz said:
mtgriz said:
havgrizfan said:

Not sure Adams would still be alive after Game 3 or so...with no running game he'd take a beating. Plus I like our chances better on a beige or gray field than the customary green or trendy red.

Back