• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2nd scrimmage recap

BWahlberg

Well-known member
DONOR
It was a real cold/gross day out there. The stat line is going to look super ugly for the passing game but it's not entirely the QBs/WRs fault. There was a strong cross-wind that I would guess was constantly at 15-20 mph with gusts that would get up to 30-40mph. Any pass thrown was heavily influenced by the wind and was a big factor in a few of the interceptions thrown today.

Some general observations:

- Of the QBs you'll see JJ and Trent each had 2 picks. JJ's first came on his first series where he had an open Walcott about 20 yards up field, JJ put it in a spot where the wind caught the ball and slowed it down, Justin Whitted took advantage of it and cut in front of Walcott and picked it. JJ's other pick, a pick-6 to Nate Harris he threw right when a huge gust of wind blew directly into the throw, the ball fluttered and Nate was able to make an easy pick. Trent's two picks were on back to back throws. The first was a batted and then picked ball, can't blame the wind there, the next was picked by Owen, I think he meant to throw it over Addison but the wind knocked it down and put it right into Addison's hands for a pick-6.

- Jordan Canada and Marlon Miles were probably the two biggest play-makers on offense. Both had big gains on screen passes and several long run plays for first downs. I'd bet JC probably had over 100 APY and Miles probably was over 60 or 70 APY. Miles impressed me b/c I've just not seen much from his as a running back. Jordan ran really well and very fast. Counts had a few good runs and one good catch.

- Tough day for the WRs and TEs with the wind, a few good grabs by Walcott, one nice one by Henderson that the refs ruled out of bounds.

- O-line protected better than when I saw in the first scrimmage. The tough thing for observation today was the angle from the field. I couldn't see the blockers working against the D-line very well as we were at almost the same level. There were less sacks / breakdowns overall compared to the first scrum but don't get me wrong, there were still quite a few. It wasn't perfect, far from it - still a few sacks and some costly TFLs on 4th down attempts to convert. All of the QBs were getting pressure around the edges and blitz containment wasn't the best.

- D-line had lots of guys making plays, Bienemann, Kidder, Takai, Crittenden all had sacks. Holmes and Peevey had a TFL and were mentioned giving some pressures. The kid that stood out though was Ryan Johnson. I could be wrong but I think he had 3 sacks to go with his interception. His pick was a great play, batted the ball, spun around and dove to catch it.

- LBs were thin today but played well. Owen had that pick - JP was credited for some tackles. Tripp had a sack and some pressures. Jeremiah Kose was on fire, a sack and lots of tackles. I would bet if there were a more official count on tackles Kose would have finished with double digits.

- CBs had a nice day. Goodwin playing like a good lock-down corner. Dennard with a few good break-ups on passes where the ball was in the WRs hands. Harris a pick-6. Tough read to tell if the CBs were very dominant or if the wind was a bigger factor.

- Safeties, same thing as the corners. Weren't tested much in the passing game. It was good to see Hermey back, Whitted had a pick and another near-pick - he's playing well. Tully and Rominger were the starters on the 1st string but Whitted and Gamboa rotated in with Rominger.

- Puting was great, there was a bad shank by Shaw but he got a roll out of it and it went 40 yards. He had some major punts - what I like about his punts is that he angles them to the sidelines. There were no punt returns at all, Shaw put the ball in places where the returner had to give up chasing after it.

- Kicking was rough, again. Short snaps were rolling (Takai got knicked up so half the snaps were not him). Kicker's timing was thrown off. Holding (Warren) was better than I saw two weeks ago. Lider I think made 3 and Greenberg did not make any. I think the big issue is timing, for both. The kickers don't look comfortable out there and you can see the lack of confidence in the whole unit when looking at players on the sideline during a kick. This could be the biggest problem on the team right now.

Lots of guys out, 6 or 7 on offense and 3 or 4 on defense. I love the way our D is playing but we saw some glimpses of the strong running game. Hopefully this last scrimmage on Friday at night has better weather conditions so we can see the passing game a little better.
 
It was an ugly day for football and the wind played a significant factor in the inability of getting any type of read on where people truly are in their development. Unfortunate, as the setting was quite scenic.
 
Yeah it was a really great view and scenic and the Ronan field was very nice - bummer the weather had other ideas for the day.
 
When did Marlon Miles switch to RB? Glad to see we have another unexpected weapon to use at RB. What kind of RB is Miles? I would guess quick and shifty. Too bad the weather sucked. I hope the scrimmage next week will have good weather.
 
mtgrizrule said:
When did Marlon Miles switch to RB? Glad to see we have another unexpected weapon to use at RB. What kind of RB is Miles? I would guess quick and shifty. Too bad the weather sucked. I hope the scrimmage next week will have good weather.

Miles moved to RB before spring camp. He's moved up thanks to injuries from being what I'd bet was about the last guy in depth to the 2nd string running back in the system they ran today.

We saw with the 1s it was mostly Canada with Counts as an H-back or having Counts as running back as well. The 2s it was Miles and Heideman. Of course in most normal weeks Canada, Van, Counts, and Kirschner would be "ahead" of Miles in depth.

Marlon is a shorter guy, he's quick and speedy. Doesn't have much of a juke move that I've seen yet - more of just a 1-cut and run kind of guy or make a catch and take off. He seems like he's best fit as a scat-back that can catch screens and check-down passes. Delaney has commented on his pass blocking too. Could be a good 3rd down back, especially if Canada and Van aren't the best in pass-protection when needed to do that.
 
First thanks BW for the write up. You guys are going to have your own opinion but the griz missed the boat on the Dennehy (Kicker) kick out of Butte.

http://www.kxlf.com/videos/athlete-of-the-week-jake-dennehy/

All of last season I felt as if the kicking game was losing steam as the season went on. At the end of the season the wheels came off the bus, you have to win 2 of the 3 match-ups to win a game IMHO. The griz kicking is serviceable, but thats not what hung the 2 Natl. Championship banners @WGS. Lider is going to cost games, mark my words. His kick cycle is very streaky, you kick up the pressure after a miss he starts to break down. The kid was on fire early season last year he started to miss PAT's, BOOM! He can't make a FG down the stretch. The fact that the Coaching staff, isn't fixing as much as putting a band-aid on this issue screams more of the same. So before we all scream about runs deep into the playoffs or beating the eagles, let me ask you this,"CAN WE KICK THE DAMN BALL?"
 
MrTitleist said:
Lider wasn't really at fault for missed kicks today.. the snap to the holder was typically awful.

Ok......So how bout the sub-par performance at the first Scrimmage, how about the last half of last season? When is the staff going to make this guy OWN it? Sorry guys, I'm just seeing way too much of the same old, same old. And that crap isn't going to win the Close one's, did you like the feeling after the Close games last year? (And yes there were quite a few, that ended in a loss) Now this is not to say all of them were kicking problems, but trace the misses it sure didn't help the cause.
 
I didn't see the first scrim.. but you guys all remember Brody McKnight as a freshman, right? There's a reason he got the nickname "Mayday." I don't really remember anyone saying much about him as a soph, and mostly nothing as a Jr or Sr. Why should we bag on a freshman kicker? I mean, really..
 
MrTitleist said:
I didn't see the first scrim.. but you guys all remember Brody McKnight as a freshman, right? There's a reason he got the nickname "Mayday." I don't really remember anyone saying much about him as a soph, and mostly nothing as a Jr or Sr. Why should we bag on a freshman kicker? I mean, really..

Did you really just compare Lider to McKnight? :lol: OMG! Mcknight made his PAT's, IIRC he made a few clutch kicks. If you don't see the problem, you should be on the staff. Lider wishes he could be a pimple on McKnights A$$!
 
Redonkuless1 said:
MrTitleist said:
Lider wasn't really at fault for missed kicks today.. the snap to the holder was typically awful.

Ok......So how bout the sub-par performance at the first Scrimmage, how about the last half of last season? When is the staff going to make this guy OWN it? Sorry guys, I'm just seeing way too much of the same old, same old. And that crap isn't going to win the Close one's, did you like the feeling after the Close games last year? (And yes there were quite a few, that ended in a loss) Now this is not to say all of them were kicking problems, but trace the misses it sure didn't help the cause.

The backup is Greenberg and he wouldn't make it at a few AA schools.
 
Redonkuless1 said:
First thanks BW for the write up. You guys are going to have your own opinion but the griz missed the boat on the Dennehy (Kicker) kick out of Butte.

http://www.kxlf.com/videos/athlete-of-the-week-jake-dennehy/

All of last season I felt as if the kicking game was losing steam as the season went on. At the end of the season the wheels came off the bus, you have to win 2 of the 3 match-ups to win a game IMHO. The griz kicking is serviceable, but thats not what hung the 2 Natl. Championship banners @WGS. Lider is going to cost games, mark my words. His kick cycle is very streaky, you kick up the pressure after a miss he starts to break down. The kid was on fire early season last year he started to miss PAT's, BOOM! He can't make a FG down the stretch. The fact that the Coaching staff, isn't fixing as much as putting a band-aid on this issue screams more of the same. So before we all scream about runs deep into the playoffs or beating the eagles, let me ask you this,"CAN WE KICK THE DAMN BALL?"

I just don't see how any kicker can actually show what they do when half the snaps are rolled back and another 25% of the snaps are high or bobbled by the holder. Kicking is about a routine and that's continually interrupted when your timing is thrown off 3 out of 4 times.
 
It is the off season...and our kicker blows. He flinches at the shadows of the goal posts. I must admit...anything over 35 and it seems 50-50. Maybe we've been spoiled, but when I watch him I'm just waiting for the sound...BOINK !!! :eek: Are we powerless now??
 
Back
Top