• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2013 Out of State UM Football Viewing Options

SoCal Surfer

DONOR
What are the options available to those of us Montana fans/alumni who live outside Montana? What can we expect this year?

Let us know the free options as well as those that come with a cost.

Please comment on streaming, cable or any other video/audio means.

Thanks,

SoCal,

As has been mentioned in other threads, the Griz have all of their games televised. (see link)

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/football/all-griz-football-games-on-tv-in/article_0cf0d2fb-4bfd-5e62-accf-c58f1bbf0d94.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Root Sports is doing 4 Griz games, which you should be able to view in any sports bar worth its salt. For the other games, you need to find a location with a Free To Air (FTA) satellite system. The week of those games, the coordinates will be released and you should be able to find the game on the FTA system. Be certain to find a location who really knows their system, however, as finding the games can be a challenge at times.

Worst case scenario is that all BSC games not televised by Root are available on-line on BigSkyTV. You can find additional information on that at the Big Sky Conference site.

Good luck, power to the Nation, and GO GRIZ!!!!

EverettGriz said:
griz4life said:
Does Max Media post FTA coordinates?

Yes. Although it usually takes some prodding.
Well, to be clear, they usually aren't formally published. I think they "escape". When you do manage to get them from someone at MM, it takes prodding and sometimes special dispensation by someone at Max Media and being sworn not to share them (I have but won't share the email exchanges I have had with the nice people there).

I wish they wouldn't see FTA as a threat (which they seem to). They get out of state viewers without much, if any, loss of viewers for the local broadcasts, i.e. the advertisers still get their money's worth. If I were given a choice of FTA versus Dishnetwork, I would watch Dish every time since I have both. It is only the people without a choice (and the times when they have no choice) that will resort to the gamble that FTA often is.

You're exactly correct, GF. And for those of us out of state who rely in FTA, we should do all we can to encourage Athletics to begin the conversations w Max to get the coordinates released and posted.

They often couldn't follow the action,but man, sometimes I miss KPAX...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was mentioned during the Haslem press release regarding all games being televised that the games not on Root have rights owned by Learfield and that they have released those games to be streamed on GoGriz.com. I did this last year and had a miserable time battling the streaming issues, terrible camera work, five second delay from the radio feed to the video among other things. This year I'll be mailing a Slingbox to family in Montana and watching here in Portland that way over the computer. Also, my experience has shown that a few places don't have the HD FTA receiver and have not been able to get thoes games in past seasons, Claudia's here in Portland is the example I'm thinking of so make sure you check with your local watering hole before you go.

I have an FTA setup, but I haven't had to use it since Max Media took over the Griz games. The system worked great when KPAX had it, mainly because I could get the coordinates from UM Athletics and because I didnt' have to rely on a bartender to set the search parameters wide enough to pick up the signal.
I had no idea FTA was even an option with Max. Several years ago, Eagle Communications picked up a few Griz games and they weren't available to FTA because that organization used microwave towers.
There are parts of Montana where you can't get Max Media.

Hi Guys,

Got DirectTV here. Expensive for just Roots games. $80+/- per month. Note: I don't have DirectTV now. Nothing for Max Media.

For those more knowledgeable tell us less educated what needs to be done to have/set up a FTA system.

SoCal Surfer said:
Hi Guys,

Got DirectTV here. Expensive for just Roots games. $80+/- per month. Note: I don't have DirectTV now. Nothing for Max Media.

For those more knowledgeable tell us less educated what needs to be done to have/set up a FTA system.
You can get an FTA system complete for about $200. I would go with at least a 30 inch dish if you have a place for it. You need to have an unobstructed view of the southeast sky since MaxMedia tends to to use an eastern satellite. You need to have a mast to mount the dish on and are technical enough to connect television wires and understand Chinenglish manuals. You need to be able to get the mast plumb, secure it with wires or braces, mount the antenna, run the wire to where your receiver is. You then need to point the dish at the right satellite. That is by far the toughest part but there are some pretty good satellite finding apps for mobile devices which helps. You then need to set up the satellite receiver which is the second toughest part. There is a lot on the web about this but there are also a few very knowledgeable people on this forum who are glad to help. I've been at this over ten years and have learned a lot and will help however I can. The last and most important step provided that you get your system set up properly is to check your system the day before the game to ensure everything is set. There is nothing worse that having to try to mess with a satellite system at the last moment. I think they can sense fear...

Grisly Fan said:
SoCal Surfer said:
Hi Guys,

You can get an FTA system complete for about $200. I would go with at least a 30 inch dish if you have a place for it. You need to have an unobstructed view of the southeast sky since MaxMedia tends to to use an eastern satellite. You need to have a mast to mount the dish on and are technical enough to connect television wires and understand Chinenglish manuals. You need to be able to get the mast plumb, secure it with wires or braces, mount the antenna, run the wire to where your receiver is. You then need to point the dish at the right satellite. That is by far the toughest part but there are some pretty good satellite finding apps for mobile devices which helps. You then need to set up the satellite receiver which is the second toughest part. There is a lot on the web about this but there are also a few very knowledgeable people on this forum who are glad to help. I've been at this over ten years and have learned a lot and will help however I can. The last and most important step provided that you get your system set up properly is to check your system the day before the game to ensure everything is set. There is nothing worse that having to try to mess with a satellite system at the last moment. I think they can sense fear...

This sounds like a two six-pack job.

Grisly Fan said:
SoCal Surfer said:
Hi Guys,

I believe what they really sense is desperation....;)

Otherwise, quite accurate. :)

I have a long post here somewhere that summarizes the requirements, should anyone be truly interested.

Well, I couldn't find my earlier post or message on this topic, so I recreated it. Here you go:

Creating Your Own Griz Dish (tm)

Necessary Equipment

1. KU Band Receiver - This should be a FTA (DVB), HD receiver (HD is important because all Griz broadcasts these days, no matter who is producing it, are in HD; a standard def receiver will not be able to bring in these signals). This receiver gets a lot more than Griz games, but the vast majority of it is pretty esoteric stuff - religious programming, ethic programming from all over the world, and offbeat crap, frankly. You can, however, often find other games on it, including other FCS games of note.

2. KU Dish - This should be between 30 and 39 inches (36 is a very good size); this will come with a pole with an adjustable foot you can mount to something solid.

3. HH Mount Motor - This is an horizon-to-horizon motor to move the dish (for when they decide to change the satellite they're putting the game up on; this is unlike Dish and DirecTV, which uses a fixed satellite install, always pointing at the same satellite, so no motor is needed for these commercial satellite services).

4. LNBF (Low Noise Block Feedhorn) - This is the little usually circular thing on the end of the arm in front of the dish that actually gathers the signal captured by the dish.

5. Cat 6 Cable - Long enough to reach from your dish location to wherever you put your receiver, usually in your stereo rack under your TV.

6. Installation Tools - Wrenches or sockets, screwdrivers, drill and screw bits, compass, level with degree measurement, cable crimping tool.

Numbers 1-4 are usually easily purchased in a package through a satellite company. Sadoun seems to be a pretty good one online, with good prices (FYI, I have no involvement with this company whatsoever). Number 5 can be found in any home improvement store, and most of number 6 can also be found there, with the possible exception of the level with degree measurement, which you can get at whatever satellite store from which you purchase the main setup.

Setup and Tuning

The following setup directions (other than #1) assume that you have already set your dish up (i.e., found a location for it and set up the pole by screwing its base into something solid and permanent--a roof, a deck, a wall…whatever, as long as it has a clear, unobstructed view of the southern sky).

1. Make sure the pole your dish is set up on is perfectly perpendicular (absolutely essential).

2. Set your dish so it's pointing to the satellite that's closest to due south of your location.

3. Check the altitude settings on both your dish and your motor (they'll both have them; the dish's will likely be only an approximation and the motor's will be more accurate); Use the instructions that came with your motor and dish to make your initial setup.

4. Find a transponder (station, more or less) on the satellite that's closest to due south of you, and then make micro adjustments to your dish's altitude adjustment bolts/nuts, with someone watching the screen of the television with the signal and quality setting screen up so you can see how the adjustments are working.

5. Once you get this dialed in with the best signal you can get, tighten up your dish adjustment bolts/nuts.

6. Have your receiver track to the satellite you want to bring in.

7. Well before game time, blind scan (my receiver calls this "power scan") the satellite to find what transponders are available; you can find the entire list of available transponders on lyngsat.com (list of satellites is at http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html; just click on a satellite name on this page to view the transponders available).

8. Check the transponders the blind scan has found. If you don't come up with a few that are on the lyngsat listing for the particular satellite (the free ones have an "F" in a box), you're pointing at the wrong satellite and you need to go back to your initial setup for a check.

9. Just before game time, either blind scan the satellite again, or enter a range of frequencies around the one you want in your search area (if your receiver will do that), or enter the particular frequency, polarity, and symbol rate (SR) for the game's broadcast into the single frequency search area of your receiver.

With luck and good weather (rain, in particular, can degrade a signal significantly with a smaller dish), you'll have the game!

Steps 1-5 above are a condensation of a full install, instructions for which you can see at:
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/HH-mount-installation.htm

You'll want to become familiar with the website http://www.lyngsat.com, which lists all the satellites up there, and all the transponders currently (or recently, anyway) broadcasting. This is a great resource for finding an elusive satellite, as it gives you all the necessary information for finding a live transponder to hone in on when you're fine-tuning your setup, and later when you are trying to find satellites with games on them.

This info is pretty general, but it is a decent bare-bones list to get you started. There's a ton of info out there on the Inter-webs about all of this, and I'd be more than happy to help any Griz fans out there who are contemplating this type of setup. As Grisly Fan notes above, entire setups like this are not really that expensive; it does take a little patience and persistence, though, to get them set up right. I've gone through some headaches over the years to install and tune my setup, but I'm damn glad I've had it, as I've missed very few Griz games in the last few years despite living in Oregon.

I'm sure GF will correct all my little errors and omissions above; at least I hope he will!

Crunch, when I buy one of these thing -- and I'm damn close -- what exactly are your hourly rates to come to my house, order the shit I need, install it, and get it pointed at the right floating comet-thingy?

Mind you, I'm not big on esthetics (my wife may differ); I don't care if there's wires running through the middle of my master bath, as long as I can see a Griz game. Note, I'm happy to pay all travel expenses and a very generous per diem. And, of course, all beer (which, as Ursa pointed out above appears to be significant) is on me.

In other words: Damn you're good.

Are the Max Media games carried on Big Sky TV? Is there a charge for this service if available?

Does ESPN2 carry Max Media? Will ESPN2 carry the App game?

EverettGriz said:
Crunch, when I buy one of these thing -- and I'm damn close -- what exactly are your hourly rates to come to my house, order the shit I need, install it, and get it pointed at the right floating comet-thingy?

Mind you, I'm not big on esthetics (my wife may differ); I don't care if there's wires running through the middle of my master bath, as long as I can see a Griz game. Note, I'm happy to pay all travel expenses and a very generous per diem. And, of course, all beer (which, as Ursa pointed out above appears to be significant) is on me.

In other words: Damn you're good.
:lol:

CrunchGriz nailed it. The single biggest headache I have had is finding a receiver that is easy to setup. I have owned 6 different ones and not a single one makes sense to me. Beware that some receivers (the ones used for pirating pay tv) can only add satellites via firmware upgrade which is really ridiculous. I am going to buy yet another when I am sure it is easier than all the rest.

This thread really makes me glad that USU is in the Mountain West now. I got CBS Sports Network as part of my cable package and I will be watching more USU games here in the midwest than I have ever been able to see before.

I wish it was the Griz instead of San Jose State that came with us to the MWC. But most Griz fans wouldn't want that anyway I guess.

NavyBlue said:
This thread really makes me glad that USU is in the Mountain West now. I got CBS Sports Network as part of my cable package and I will be watching more USU games here in the midwest than I have ever been able to see before.

I wish it was the Griz instead of San Jose State that came with us to the MWC. But most Griz fans wouldn't want that anyway I guess.
:cry:

This one would. :|

Back