• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2013 Fall Camp

grizfan95

I figured we could condense all of the other random fall camp threads into one. If you find a video, article, tweet, etc., concerning fall camp, share it here. I'll start it off by posting some things that have already been shared and few of Speltz' tweets.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAslEZUu5F4[/youtube]

http://missoulian.com/sports/colleg...cle_58f27aba-ff0f-11e2-ae1a-001a4bcf887a.html

Bill Speltz ‏@billspeltz 22h
Griz practice Day One: Jordan Johnson comfortable and confident running the first team offense. Receiving corps has promising newcomers.

Bill Speltz ‏@billspeltz 3h
Junior running back Travon Van making his presence felt in Griz fall camp. He's going to have an impact in 2013.

http://www.kpax.com/news/griz-get-back-on-the-football-field/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MISSOULA - The University of Montana football team is back at work, and is ready to put all the distractions behind them.

The program doesn't have to fear an NCAA investigation anymore, and their quarterback is back under center - not in a courtroom.

You can't predict success from the first practice of the season. But first impressions can go a long way, and head coach Mick Delaney likes what he sees.

"You look at what our kids have done, every single one of them have gained anywhere - depending on the position - from eight to 27 pounds. Our strength numbers are way up. So you know, those things indicate you are getting better."

"We had a really successful summer program. [We] worked hard. A lot of guys stayed here. We're really happy with what we did as a team during the summer. We're coming in with a lot of confidence. But we're still coming in with a chip on our shoulder from last year. And we're ready to get to work," offensive lineman Danny Kistler observed.

Last year marked the first losing season for the Grizzlies since 1985, and it follows these players and coaches around wherever they go. Although there is plenty of reason to believe they will bounce back this fall, the questions will always be present until they provide the answers.

"I think anybody would be lieing if you say we don't talk about it or think about it. It's something that has kind of lit a fire underneath us this year. But at the same time, we're always looking forward," Kistler told us.

"The effort on focus all winter long have been on, you know, we've got to finish, we've got to play four quarters...so yeah, there's a whole different outlook on coming off a season like last year and going into this season," Delaney added

Big plays in skelly drills highlight UM's second practice of fall camp

http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080713aac.html

Aug. 7, 2013

Practice number two for the University of Montana Grizzlies in 2013 fall camp drills was in sweltering heat in Washington-Grizzly Stadium Wednesday (Aug. 7) afternoon. The temperature on the playing surface of the stadium was estimated to have reached 95-plus degrees.

Once again the Grizzlies donned just helmets, shorts and T-shirts, and will continue their one-a-day practice schedule Thursday, Friday and Saturday, August 8-10.

The team's first two-a-day session is slated for Sunday, August 11. The Griz will hold their first scrimmage on fall camp under the lights in conjunction with their second practice this Sunday, Aug. 11, with the action starting around 7:45 p.m.

There were a few big plays on offense during "skelly" drills. Early-on junior quarterback Shay Smithwick-Hann lofted a beautiful 55-yard touchdown pass to sophomore wide receiver Ellis Henderson.

In the next series junior quarterback Jordan Johnson connected on back-to-back 55-yard touchdown scoring bombs to sophomore wide-out Taylor Walcott and then another one to Henderson.

Junior halfback Jordan Canada also hauled in a couple of short passes and broke away for long gains on them. Canada is UM's third leading returning receiver (tied with senior wide-out Cam Warren) this season, as he had 15 receptions a year ago.

"I think we've got some guys (receivers) who run faster than people realize," said head coach Mick Delaney. "I am very happy with the way we completed some team balls today. Obviously in skelly you should get those because there's no pressure up front, but you've still got competition.

"I like the way our guys covered today," Delaney said. "We were in good position most of the time and the quarterbacks just put the ball in perfect position for the receivers to make those catches and go down the field like that. Overall I liked skelly today. The quarterbacks did a good job of stretching the field and a good job of checking down and hitting the underneath routes when they were there. I am very happy with the passing game at this point."

Smithwick-Hann and Johnson are two of three quarterbacks in fall camp with starting experience. Smithwick-Hann started the last three games a year ago, while sophomore signal-caller Trent McKinney started the first eight games in 2012. Johnson started in 12 games in 2011.

Also at quarterback is redshirt freshman Brady Gustafson and true freshman Makena Simis. Gustafson is a 6-7, 230-pounder from Billings West High School where he passed for a school-record 6,202 career yards. Simis racked up 5,085 total career yards and scored 51 touchdowns at Capital High School in Boise, Idaho.

"When I walked into coach Kefense's (Hynson, UM co-offensive coordinator and quarterback coach) office today and saw our quarterbacks sitting in there I was thinking I don't know if any team has five guys as talented as those guys that we have in that room," Delaney said. "Obviously there's one better than this one and that one, but as a combination of five guys I think that's a tremendous group of young men."

Today's practice ended on an up-and-down note in the kicking game. Sophomore kicker Chris Lider nailed a 37-yard field goal from the right hash mark in his first attempt, but was wide right on his next 37-yard try, this one from the left hash. Lider came back and connected on a 41-yard field goal to conclude practice.

Redshirt freshman Harrison Greenberg and true freshman Ben Worst each had one attempt at a 34-yard field goal, which were missed. UM's holders, Warren and junior free safety Matt Hermanson, struggled to control many errant snaps in the kicking game.

"I thought practice was great for the first couple of hours and then ended on a down note in the kicking game, and that's unacceptable," Delaney said. "It's got to be offense, defense, and the kicking game in special teams, because that will lose a game for you just like a (opponent) guy running for a touchdown or a fumble by one of our guys. It's critical and it's unacceptable not to execute at 100 percent in the kicking game."

Many of the players grabbed a bottle of Powerade after practice then made the short walk from the stadium for a quick swim in the Clark Fork River.

Tripp, Coyle, Kistler, and Johnson leading stretches:

650c3531c04b18f308ab3ccfcdff4642.jpg

"I thought practice was great for the first couple of hours and then ended on a down note in the kicking game, and that's unacceptable," Delaney said. "It's got to be offense, defense, and the kicking game in special teams, because that will lose a game for you just like a (opponent) guy running for a touchdown or a fumble by one of our guys. It's critical and it's unacceptable not to execute at 100 percent in the kicking game."

My favorite quote from Coach Delaney so far. You don't become the best team in the FCS by being complacent. Even the best team out there can improve.

Darksim said:

My favorite quote from Coach Delaney so far. You don't become the best team in the FCS by being complacent. Even the best team out there can improve.

Hauck proved how important special teams play is, during this time here. I would love to have consistent special teams play like that again. :thumb:

To me the a successful kicking game is mostly dependent upon having a center that can consistently make successful long snaps to the holder. I remember being in a coaches meeting with Don Read when he was talking about a center from an opposing team and he said "he's high, he's low, he's right, he's left and we are going to block a couple of field goal attempts" and that is exactly what happened. When a kicker has to guess when the ball is going to get there and where it is going to be he is a real disadvantage. Timing is a real issue for a kicker.

That being said I think it is imperative to find a long snapper that we can depend on. Without one we will take our lumps and more than likely the kicker will be the blame. I hope we can come up with one and do better than we did last year in that department.

mtgrizrule said:
Darksim said:

Hauck proved how important special teams play is, during this time here. I would love to have consistent special teams play like that again. :thumb:
Yes he did we had a lot of kick returns for TD's when he was around. It looks like Hauck might be getting fired if he doesnt turn UNLV into a winning program this year. I wonder if the U of M will offer him a job. He sure did have a good record while he was here. And I really liked the way he carried himself.

That said i would rather see Pflugrad at the HC spot, he was always so calm and collected. And i want someone like that calling the shots when the pressure is on. Plus i absolutely loved the offence he ran. That no-huddle read game was lovely to watch.

Grizzlies’ Canada ready for leadership role: Tweaked offense may mean more carries

http://missoulian.com/sports/colleg...cle_2ddf8434-ffc9-11e2-aed4-0019bb2963f4.html

By Bill Speltz

By his own admission, this whole college running back thing has taken a while to completely grasp for Jordan Canada.

At times the Montana junior has been outstanding. Other times he’s struggled with the demands placed upon him, whether they be physical or in the classroom.

“Not to make myself sound bad but when you come in as a young student athlete usually you tend to put football first and you tend to slack on the first aspect of school, which is going to school,” said Canada, who ranked second in rushing for the Griz last season with 586 yards.

“That was one of my shortcomings when I first got here. Then with football there’s more expected out of you so I even slacked in that area. I feel like I’m starting to understand now what’s expected of me as a leader and a player who wants to help this team. I’m finally making those sacrifices.”

Ask Montana coach Mick Delaney and he will tell you the light bulb clicked on for Canada in the spring. Maybe he realized his load was going to be heavier with the graduation of Montana’s leading ground gainer from 2012, Peter Nguyen. Perhaps he just decided it’s now or never as he chases his ultimate goal of a pro career.

“You just look at him physically and he’s 10 or 11 pounds heavier,” Delaney said after Wednesday’s practice. “He’s worked really hard in the weight room. He looks more physical.

“He never missed a practice in the spring. He never missed anything in the summer. His problem in the past has been a tweak here, an injury and this here, that there. I really believe he’s worked hard enough now that it’s going to enable him to stay healthy.”

For the record, Canada reached 195 pounds at one point but with the loss of water weight he’s currently around 190. That’s about seven pounds heavier than his playing weight in 2012.

Canada is excited to put his new physique to the test in Montana’s new pro-set offense.

“It’s a running scheme,” explained the California product, who is also a highly dependable receiver out of the backfield. “It’s on the shoulders of the running backs so I feel me and (backup running back) Tra (Van) are going to have outstanding years.

“We have a new fullback who is going to help us out,” he added, referring to Boise State transfer Jamal Wilson. “I think it’s beautiful. As a running back you can’t ask for more.”

From Delaney’s perspective, Day 2 of Montana’s fall camp was not exactly a thing of beauty amid temperatures that reached the mid-90s at Washington-Grizzly Stadium.

There were moments when the passing game clicked with Jordan Johnson at the helm, including one sequence when he hit Taylor Walcott and Ellis Henderson for back-to-back touchdown bombs in 7-on-7 competition. There were also positives defensively, including strong safety Bo Tully’s pickoff of a Johnson pass in a 1-on-1 drill.

But field goal personnel struggled, resulting in extra calisthenics for the Grizzlies. Redshirt freshman Harrison Greenberg and true freshman Ben Worst each missed 34-yard field goals. Montana’s holders, Cam Warren and junior free safety Matt Hermanson, struggled to control errant snaps.

“It’s got to be offense, defense and the kicking game,” lamented Delaney. “(The kicking game) will lose for you just as well as a guy running for a touchdown or fumbling the ball.

“It’s unacceptable not to execute at 100 percent in the kicking game. That’s why we started today with competition. It was high competition as far as mental pressure. We have to get better at it.”

Two positives in the area of special teams were Chris Lider’s field goal from 41 yards out and the punting of Stephen Shaw. He has picked up where he left off in the spring, hitting 55-yarders with consistency.

As for the vaunted Griz defense, which returns 10 starters from 2012, defensive coordinator Ty Gregorak says the true test will come Thursday when they break out the pads.

“We’re doing some stuff with our cornerbacks, you can see we’re trying to be pretty aggressive with them at the line of scrimmage,” he explained.

“They just need to keep working their techniques. It’s a very technique-oriented position and I want to be aggressive out there. Minus pressure aggressiveness, I want to be aggressive in 4-man rushes and we just have to be technicians in our secondary.”

QUICK KICKS: Many of the players grabbed a bottle of Powerade after practice and made the short walk from the stadium for a quick swim in the Clark Fork River ... Trent McKinney got a lot of reps as second team quarterback ... Montana will continue its one-a-day practice schedule Thursday, Friday and Saturday ... The Grizzlies’ first two-a-day is Sunday. They will hold their first scrimmage of fall camp under the lights in conjunction with their second practice Sunday, with the action starting around 7:45 p.m.

Sundown said:
Here's the Missoulian link for the first day of practice (repost): "Fast out of the blocks"

52018719e7bb3.preview-620.jpg

Here's the story, just to have it here.

By Bill Speltz

Grizzly football opens fall camp

Griz football is back: Montana begins fall drills

Ryan McKinley, a freshman with the University of Montana Grizzlies, cools down during the first day of football practice on Tuesday at Washing… Read more

Bobcats ranked No. 2 in coaches' poll
Five Big Sky Conference teams will begin the 2013 football season ranked in the FCS Coaches’ Poll Top 25. Read more

Championship football teams are not built in a day, but Montana appears headed the right way.

That according to second-year coach Mick Delaney, who watched his troops work through a spirited session Tuesday under brilliant sunshine at Washington-Grizzly Stadium. One thing became apparent as the afternoon wore on: These Grizzlies are sure of themselves on both sides of the football.

“There’s some good stuff all the way around,” said Delaney, whose team was listed at No. 22 in the first Football Championship Subdivision coaches’ poll released Tuesday. “But we can’t be complacent and think we’re there after one day by any stretch.”

“... Like I told the guys afterwards, it was probably like an 8-4 practice, which is OK but not good enough. I thought our energy was pretty darn good. I thought our mental, you know our attention was pretty darn good ... It’s an 8-4 practice but nobody is happy with an 8-4 (record). We’ve got to get better.”

Junior quarterback Jordan Johnson is the most notable addition after sitting out last year’s 5-6 campaign with legal issues. He showed Tuesday that he can be a game-changer with his level of comfort and confidence directing the offense and his accuracy throwing the football.

Still, if Johnson is to be successful, he’s going to need help from a bolstered receiving corps. Projected starters Ellis Henderson and Taylor Walcott made some sparkling catches Tuesday, but their back-ups grabbed almost as much attention.

Sophomore Jamaal Jones, a 6-foot-1, 188-pound transfer from the University of Washington, brings to the receiving corps a physical presence it hasn’t had in a while. He ran a lot of plays with Johnson under center Tuesday, which leads you to believe he’ll get his chance when they line up for real.

“He’s got some experience. He’s played. He’s fast,” Delaney said of Jones. “He knows how to use his body and he did some good things today.

“We’ve also got a little ol’ freshman, Dominique Bobo, who ran a 46.8 (400) last year in the state of Texas. He ran by a few guys today let me tell you and it looks like he can catch the ball.”

Jones put in a lot of work prior to last season but it didn’t result in a spike in playing time for the Huskies. That, more than anything, is the reason he’s in Missoula.

“I thought today was great,” he said of his first practice at UM. “I’m understanding the offense a lot coming out of U-dub, pretty similar offense.

“I think the receivers, all the way around, we did really well today. The potential is there. That’s a good practice to see how far we can go.”

Just as promising was the play of Montana’s defense backs in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 situations. It’s an area where the Griz hope to make marked improvement. Corners Anthony Goodwin, Joshua Dennard and Nate Harris, in particular, experienced baptism under fire in 2012.

All three, along with safety Matt Hermanson, made slick pass breakups in helmet-only drills.

“I think we’ve got a lot of experience coming back so that’s going to make it extra fun because we’re like a band of brothers,” said Goodwin, a senior who transferred in from Mt. San Antonio Junior College in California in 2012. “I know from my personal experience coming in as a newcomer I didn’t really know the defense as well.

“This year I think all of us are coming together and everything is jelling. I think we’ve got it figured out. And the chemistry, it feels so much better. I’m not talking down on last year’s team. But this year, I just feel like we have a great chemistry and it’s going to help us win.”

Notes: Kalispell native Shay Smithwick-Hann took a lot of snaps as quarterback of the second team offense ... Projected backup Steven Rominger (free safety) made a nice pass breakup and sophomore transfer Jamaal Anderson (corner) jumped a short route to make an interception in 11-on-11 action ... The Griz go again at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Washington-Grizzly Stadium. Practices are not open to the public ... The first two-a-day practice day is Sunday and the first scrimmage is that evening at about 7:45.

mtgrizrule said:
grizcountry420 said:
Henderson and Walcott.........

LOOK OUT!!

Or on the other hand, are our DB's and pass coverage that bad again? :thumb:
I know there is some humor in your comment....

If the offense isn't winning in 7v7 then you have problems. QB gets clean reads, no face pressure and the receivers get in and out of their breaks easier. Great place for the secondary to get better to see things develop. You make throws in skelly, that you might not get in a game. Just the tone and tenor of the drill.

mtgrizrule said:
grizcountry420 said:
Henderson and Walcott.........

LOOK OUT!!

Or on the other hand, are our DB's and pass coverage that bad again? :thumb:
what came first the chicken or the egg? Coach did say he was happy with the DB's play, so im going with that.

what i saw today
gamboa had the best reads on 11 on 11..broke up a beautifully thrown jj pass to henderson out in the flat about 15yds.......got high fives from several players....from what i could tell from spring scrimmage and one fall practice this guy is going to be all what is expected from the safety position....great cover guy....really hope to see a lot of him this year
jamaal jones and travon van were also money today.......looking forward to their receptions and speed downfield... they were impressive today even tho they didn't make the papers in the reports but these guys are good and you are gonna like what they can do
fyi...naccarato and henderson were fielding punt returns
jj looked good....he has improved in my eyes...even tho it is only a couple of days into fall camp he appears to really be in sync with his throws....dude is going to be excellent this year
overall the d looked good....a lot of passing drills today....you can tell that the focus is on timing, accuracy, coverage, positioning all good stuff that you like to see them working on....if this is a sign of what is to come....this will be a great year for offense which in turn will be a good year for defense because of the skill level they are defending.

Back