• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2013-2014 Preview

socalgriz2344

Well-known member
Here is a link to the top 144 teams in college basketball and a preview of their season. Montana comes in at 92 and weber state is it at 85. Pretty interesting read, however they didn't account for Gelaun Wheelwright leaving Weber in their write up about weber. Let basketball season begin!!!

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/mens-basketball/top-144-previews?page=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


 
Who to Watch:
Even without Cherry, Montana boasts a dynamic and talented backcourt. Kareem Jamar was already a superstar after averaging 14.2 points, 4.0 assists and 5.9 rebounds, yet now he will be the main scoring option. The 6-5 wing can knock down the long ball with ease and finish around the basket. There is not much lacking in his game. Jordan Gregory should see a huge boost in his scoring numbers, as long as he can get over the separation from his guinea pig. Gregory is the most potent shooter on the squad and that is why Keron DeShields needs to be ready to run the show. Gregory, and Jamar for that matter, are both capable of handling the ball, but will be much more useful as a shooter off of the ball. DeShields has the experience and talent to earn a full-time starting job with Gregory backing him up as necessary. DeSheilds can knock down the long ball enough to keep the opposition honest and will make things happen attacking the basket. As long as he can keep the turnovers to a minimum, he can leave the perimeter scoring to Jamar and Gregory.
This immediately adds credibility to this publication. Snorted soda out of my nose when I read it.
 
Grizfan-24 said:
Who to Watch:
Even without Cherry, Montana boasts a dynamic and talented backcourt. Kareem Jamar was already a superstar after averaging 14.2 points, 4.0 assists and 5.9 rebounds, yet now he will be the main scoring option. The 6-5 wing can knock down the long ball with ease and finish around the basket. There is not much lacking in his game. Jordan Gregory should see a huge boost in his scoring numbers, as long as he can get over the separation from his guinea pig. Gregory is the most potent shooter on the squad and that is why Keron DeShields needs to be ready to run the show. Gregory, and Jamar for that matter, are both capable of handling the ball, but will be much more useful as a shooter off of the ball. DeShields has the experience and talent to earn a full-time starting job with Gregory backing him up as necessary. DeSheilds can knock down the long ball enough to keep the opposition honest and will make things happen attacking the basket. As long as he can keep the turnovers to a minimum, he can leave the perimeter scoring to Jamar and Gregory.
This immediately adds credibility to this publication. Snorted soda out of my nose when I read it.

Not to mention we now have a Mark Weisner on the team. Still, it was a decent write-up.
 
rosy assessment of our griz. my question: who scores up front--hutch? kemp? weisner? wiley? martin? i don't think this entire group combined for much more than 10 points a game last year. so somebody has to to step/leap w-a-y up, or it's going to be a long season for us.

but that's the fun of college hoops, no? that guy that makes dramatic improvement year to year. who ya bettin' on this year?
 
citay, I guess I would answer your question with another question...How much do they need to score?

Your right, not one of those guys is going to score the points that Ward did, but I think as a whole they can be much better than the post situation we had last year. Ward was a stud but he wasn't much of a rebounder and he struggled guarding the strong post guys he was asked to guard last year. Conversely, Kemp is said to be a beast on the glass and I would guess his physical strength will make him a better defender in the post. Even if he doesn't score a lot, he will give up far less points in the paint to equalize that.

Wiley is rumored to have improved a bunch but he is not a natural scorer either, but he is a freak athletically and that should lead to many hustle points around the the rim.

Hutch and Martin may not prove to be much better than last year, but they likely improved some and getting 4 to 6 more points out of the collectively seems reasonable.

Weisner is not going to score many points in the paint but being the lights-out shooter makes him a tough person for the other team to guard.

I think as a bunch they will better rebounders and better defenders than last year, and between them they should be able to make up the points we lost in losing Ward.
 
I'm hoping that Andy Martin will have the opportunity to Redshirt this year. Perhaps become similar to the way Kelly Olynyk did for the Gonzaga Bulldogs. Well, not a Top Five All-American but at least improve enough to become a viable player for the Griz his next three seasons. Olynyk played his first two years for Gonzaga (2009-10 & 2010-11), then Redshirted after his sophomore year (2011-12) and became quite the player his junior year (2012-13). Can't say it wouldn't hurt Martin to do the same, either.
 
WyomingGrizFan said:
I'm hoping that Andy Martin will have the opportunity to Redshirt this year. Perhaps become similar to the way Kelly Olynyk did for the Gonzaga Bulldogs. Well, not a Top Five All-American but at least improve enough to become a viable player for the Griz his next three seasons. Olynyk played his first two years for Gonzaga (2009-10 & 2010-11), then Redshirted after his sophomore year (2011-12) and became quite the player his junior year (2012-13). Can't say it wouldn't hurt Martin to do the same, either.

I think he will be needed this year, much more likely to use a RS, if ever, after this season.
 
Martin won't be redshirting. We don't have that luxury, which would benefit him and the program. Next year, Breunig will be aboard. Speaking of Breunig, he will have an impact this season, even without playing a game. Martin and Hutchison get to match up against him every practice and scrimmage. That will help their development a lot.

Collectively our PF/C spots have to rebound, play defense, be tough, and add scoring when needed. Kemp will be a beast on the boards. Martin and Hutchison will be better than last season. As for scoring, there are many ways to score in the paint. Coach Tinkle will use Jamar and Kemp for post up scoring, if and when the bigger post players are struggling. He did well by using Steward in the post a few years ago as well. Our bigs do not have to put up a lot of points within the offense. Anything they do put up is icing on the cake.

I am hoping Andy Martin stays out of foul trouble this season and sees 20 plus minutes per game. I love his defensive potential in shutting down the paint. Not like Qvale did, but in having him shadow the post up players and use his length. Wiley is the biggest wildcard of the forwards. His athleticism is great. I hear he has dramatically improved every aspect of his game. He will be great on the boards and defense. I have no idea how much offense he will provide, but he will be a huge part of the rotation this season. I do expect him to be inconsistent though.

We know the true strength of this team will be the 1,2,3 positions. My biggest concern going into this season, how long will it take for the new faces to gel with the team? Wayne will play a lot of chess matches with lineups in out of conference play. He always has personnel figured out by the time conference play starts.

I really am not worried about our post players. Rebounding and Defense is not asking too much of them. Let's relax about the scoring.
 
yo, griz rule: love ya, love ya. but telling me to "relax about the scoring" seems a little like telling an aspiring chess grandmaster to "forget about the brains" or your teenage son when he asks for the family car to "forget about the safety rules." i mean, outscoring your opponent is what it's about. "relax about the scoring" seems like a terrible motto going into the season. here's my reasoning.

if there's one position you can tell to relax about the scoring, it's your point guard. i want my point to see the entire floor, to organize, distribute, first and foremost. scoring can come later. a scoring point guard can be a recipe for disaster, example to follow. but now you have three positions that can't score--four, five and one. that's asking an awful lot of your remaining two positions to make up the slack. and that's not good, for two reasons i can see.

first, bolomboy is at least as good a rebounder and defender as anybody we have in the paint. he scored seven per last year, but you can bet weber is exepcting him to score more. say, seventeen. say our guy averages seven. that's ten points you give away at one position, and have to make up elsewhere. if their four turns out to be pretty good, and he outscores us there as well, you go into any game against weber in a deep hole.

but my point guard example is one you should be familiar with, because it's steph curry of the warriors who torched your nuggets in the playoffs last year with back-slapping, jaw-dropping shots from downtown. he was quick and accurate, and with klay thomposon equally hot at the two, it looked like the warriors had a shot to go all the way--until they ran into greg popvich.

pop looked at the warriors roster and figured what we all knew: the warriors were crap down low. bogut was gasping and playing on weak knees. david lee was out hurt, festus ezilie is a bricklayer, carl landry was undersized and harrison barnes was a rookie. so popovich extended the defense way out past the three-point line, leaving the paint defense to essentially one man, tim duncan. he then hounded curry and thompson, forcing both to work hard to get their shots, from farther out than before. the warriors were still in it, but without scoring punch down low, the result became inevitable. san antonio won the series.

can you see weber doing that to us? bobomboy playing a one-man zone down low, knowing our guys can't score, while they double jamar on the wing? or trap out point guard coming up court?

i think you need capable scorers at every position except the point, else you're writing yourself a ticket for a long season. i also think you missed your calling as an attorney. if i were arrested for defacing signs at fort missoula, you'd tell the judge about my character, boy scout record, love for dogs, sunday school attendance--why, when you got done, the judge would have forgotten what i was there for in the first place.

in fact, the only thing that let me relax last night was awf-ul's inside info that wiley is now 7'2" and 250. we know awf is never given to irony, hyperbole or deliberate humor, so last night in my dreams wiley was soaring through the air, jamming over dwight howard. how sweet it was!
 
citay said:
yo, griz rule: love ya, love ya. but telling me to "relax about the scoring" seems a little like telling an aspiring chess grandmaster to "forget about the brains" or your teenage son when he asks for the family car to "forget about the safety rules." i mean, outscoring your opponent is what it's about. "relax about the scoring" seems like a terrible motto going into the season. here's my reasoning.

if there's one position you can tell to relax about the scoring, it's your point guard. i want my point to see the entire floor, to organize, distribute, first and foremost. scoring can come later. a scoring point guard can be a recipe for disaster, example to follow. but now you have three positions that can't score--four, five and one. that's asking an awful lot of your remaining two positions to make up the slack. and that's not good, for two reasons i can see.

first, bolomboy is at least as good a rebounder and defender as anybody we have in the paint. he scored seven per last year, but you can bet weber is exepcting him to score more. say, seventeen. say our guy averages seven. that's ten points you give away at one position, and have to make up elsewhere. if their four turns out to be pretty good, and he outscores us there as well, you go into any game against weber in a deep hole.

but my point guard example is one you should be familiar with, because it's steph curry of the warriors who torched your nuggets in the playoffs last year with back-slapping, jaw-dropping shots from downtown. he was quick and accurate, and with klay thomposon equally hot at the two, it looked like the warriors had a shot to go all the way--until they ran into greg popvich.

pop looked at the warriors roster and figured what we all knew: the warriors were crap down low. bogut was gasping and playing on weak knees. david lee was out hurt, festus ezilie is a bricklayer, carl landry was undersized and harrison barnes was a rookie. so popovich extended the defense way out past the three-point line, leaving the paint defense to essentially one man, tim duncan. he then hounded curry and thompson, forcing both to work hard to get their shots, from farther out than before. the warriors were still in it, but without scoring punch down low, the result became inevitable. san antonio won the series.

can you see weber doing that to us? bobomboy playing a one-man zone down low, knowing our guys can't score, while they double jamar on the wing? or trap out point guard coming up court?

i think you need capable scorers at every position except the point, else you're writing yourself a ticket for a long season. i also think you missed your calling as an attorney. if i were arrested for defacing signs at fort missoula, you'd tell the judge about my character, boy scout record, love for dogs, sunday school attendance--why, when you got done, the judge would have forgotten what i was there for in the first place.

in fact, the only thing that let me relax last night was awf-ul's inside info that wiley is now 7'2" and 250. we know awf is never given to irony, hyperbole or deliberate humor, so last night in my dreams wiley was soaring through the air, jamming over dwight howard. how sweet it was!

Citay, I was not telling your personally :thumb:
With that said, I have the same feeling where this program has risen to as I did when Hauck was the GRIZ football coach the last few years he was here. I just knew no matter what, the program, and his teams would kick ass in the BSC no matter who was on the field. I just knew they would win.

After the last 2 seasons, I am at that peace of mind with the GRIZ as long as Wayne Tinkle is the coach here. Granted, are there a few games I sweat? Hell yes. But overall, I'm not one bit worried about this program under his direction. That is why I am not sweating post scoring. Granted, if Jamar goes down like Cherry and Ward did, then I will be a little worried this season.

Plus Hutchison and Martin can only be better than last year. Actually that combination was pretty solid the last quarter of last season. :thumb:
 
I heard from one of the coaches that Martin had a great summer and should be much improved. Showed some good feet and decent ball skills last year. If he's added much strength I think he will be effective.
 
mtgrizrule said:
citay said:
yo, griz rule: love ya, love ya. but telling me to "relax about the scoring" seems a little like telling an aspiring chess grandmaster to "forget about the brains" or your teenage son when he asks for the family car to "forget about the safety rules." i mean, outscoring your opponent is what it's about. "relax about the scoring" seems like a terrible motto going into the season. here's my reasoning.

if there's one position you can tell to relax about the scoring, it's your point guard. i want my point to see the entire floor, to organize, distribute, first and foremost. scoring can come later. a scoring point guard can be a recipe for disaster, example to follow. but now you have three positions that can't score--four, five and one. that's asking an awful lot of your remaining two positions to make up the slack. and that's not good, for two reasons i can see.

first, bolomboy is at least as good a rebounder and defender as anybody we have in the paint. he scored seven per last year, but you can bet weber is exepcting him to score more. say, seventeen. say our guy averages seven. that's ten points you give away at one position, and have to make up elsewhere. if their four turns out to be pretty good, and he outscores us there as well, you go into any game against weber in a deep hole.

but my point guard example is one you should be familiar with, because it's steph curry of the warriors who torched your nuggets in the playoffs last year with back-slapping, jaw-dropping shots from downtown. he was quick and accurate, and with klay thomposon equally hot at the two, it looked like the warriors had a shot to go all the way--until they ran into greg popvich.

pop looked at the warriors roster and figured what we all knew: the warriors were crap down low. bogut was gasping and playing on weak knees. david lee was out hurt, festus ezilie is a bricklayer, carl landry was undersized and harrison barnes was a rookie. so popovich extended the defense way out past the three-point line, leaving the paint defense to essentially one man, tim duncan. he then hounded curry and thompson, forcing both to work hard to get their shots, from farther out than before. the warriors were still in it, but without scoring punch down low, the result became inevitable. san antonio won the series.

can you see weber doing that to us? bobomboy playing a one-man zone down low, knowing our guys can't score, while they double jamar on the wing? or trap out point guard coming up court?

i think you need capable scorers at every position except the point, else you're writing yourself a ticket for a long season. i also think you missed your calling as an attorney. if i were arrested for defacing signs at fort missoula, you'd tell the judge about my character, boy scout record, love for dogs, sunday school attendance--why, when you got done, the judge would have forgotten what i was there for in the first place.

in fact, the only thing that let me relax last night was awf-ul's inside info that wiley is now 7'2" and 250. we know awf is never given to irony, hyperbole or deliberate humor, so last night in my dreams wiley was soaring through the air, jamming over dwight howard. how sweet it was!

Citay, I was not telling your personally :thumb:
With that said, I have the same feeling where this program has risen to as I did when Hauck was the GRIZ football coach the last few years he was here. I just knew no matter what, the program, and his teams would kick ass in the BSC no matter who was on the field. I just knew they would win.

After the last 2 seasons, I am at that peace of mind with the GRIZ as long as Wayne Tinkle is the coach here. Granted, are there a few games I sweat? Hell yes. But overall, I'm not one bit worried about this program under his direction. That is why I am not sweating post scoring. Granted, if Jamar goes down like Cherry and Ward did, then I will be a little worried this season.

Plus Hutchison and Martin can only be better than last year. Actually that combination was pretty solid the last quarter of last season. :thumb:


awf has requested cliff notes.
 
1Brevity.jpg
 
AllWeatherFan said:

winners of the webby award--best of the web--must give their acceptance speeches in five words or less.

the guy who invented cell phones was given a lifetime achievement award. his speech:

"can you hear me NOW?"

as the 2013 winner of awf's annual "windy" award for "verbosity, redundancy and general overall excellence in overstating the simplest of concepts," i accept thusly:

"too many term papers."
 
Back
Top