• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2013-14 starting 5 and depth

alabamagrizzly

PG Jordan Gregory Jr 6-2
Keron DeSheilds Jr 6-2
Mario Dunn Fr 6-0 (possible RS)
Morgan Young SoR 6-0

SG Kevin Henderson Jr 6-5 (SF also)
Riley Bradshaw FrR 6-2
Jack Lopez Fr 6-5
Brandon Gfeller Fr 6-4 (possible RS)

SF Kareem Jamar Sr 6-5
Nick Emerson SoR 6-5

PF Michael Weisner JrR 6-7
Chris Kemp Jr 6-7
Jake Wiley So 6-6
Martin Breunig Jr 6-8 (will RS)

C Erik Hutchison Sr 6-9
Andy Martin So 7-0

Some points at each position
1. The PG spot should be a good battle. Gregory has the upper hand but DeSheilds should challange him. Mario should RS with Young on the bench also and Gregory and DeSheilds still coming back for their Sr years when he'll be a FrR.
2. If Henderson reaches his potential he will lock down the SG slot. If not then I believe Riley and Lopez are both ready to step in. Henderson may move to the starting SF spot when Kareem graduates also and Lopez may also play there with all the depth at the SG.
3. SF. Kareem Jamar. Nuf said.
4. The PF spot is wide open. Weisner has an advantage because of his range but I think even Kemp will see floor time with Breunig sittin. In 14-15 the job will be Breunigs to lose.
5. With Kareem being the only one with more expierience then Hutchison, the C job will be his but Martin will deffenetly challange with his true frosh expierience and his height advantage. Kemp may even see some mins here against the less expierienced centers if the other bigs get in foul trouble.

Good post. I like the way this team sets up.

Kemp is a Junior, however. I doubt he starts the season, but I'm thinking he'll be a starter by conference time.

alabamagrizzly said:
PG Jordan Gregory Jr 6-2
Keron DeSheilds Jr 6-2
Morgan Young SoR 6-0

Riley Bradshaw FrR 6-2
Jack Lopez Fr 6-5

SF Kareem Jamar Sr 6-5
Nick Emerson SoR 6-5

Chris Kemp Jr 6-7
Jake Wiley So 6-6

C Erik Hutchison Sr 6-9
Andy Martin So 7-0

1. The PG spot should be a good battle. Gregory has the upper hand but DeSheilds should challange him. Mario should RS with Young on the bench also and Gregory and DeSheilds still coming back for their Sr years when he'll be a FrR.
2. If Henderson reaches his potential he will lock down the SG slot. If not then I believe Riley and Lopez are both ready to step in. Henderson may move to the starting SF spot when Kareem graduates also and Lopez may also play there with all the depth at the SG.
4. The PF spot is wide open. Weisner has an advantage because of his range but I think even Kemp will see floor time with Breunig sittin. In 14-15 the job will be Breunigs to lose.
5. With Kareem being the only one with more expierience then Hutchison, the C job will be his but Martin will deffenetly challange with his true frosh expierience and his height advantage. Kemp may even see some mins here against the less expierienced centers if the other bigs get in foul trouble.

I am not going to break to it down by position, being the majority of roster plays multiple positions. Wayne's depth also varies from opponent to opponent, depending on hot hand, gut feeling, and match ups. Also Riley Bradshaw is not eligible the 1st part of the season.

Starting 5 (come conference play, he experiments a lot in out of conference play).
DeShields
Gregory
Jamar
Kemp (better than anyone from last season on the boards)
Huthison

2nd 5
Dunn
Bradshaw
Henderson
Weisner (he is a SF in my opinion, and out of position in the paint)
Martin

I don't see Gregory running the offense very often. I see Deshields, Jamar, Bradshaw, and Dunn running the half court sets. Gregory is too damn good of a shooter and will be expected to score a lot more this season with Cherry and Ward departing. Defensively, I can see Gregory playing both PG and SG assignments. I see Bradshaw more of a SG defender. Deshields rotating on each. Dunn being a PG defender. Jamar will likely be a point forward offensively, I see him defensively playing mostly SF's. Henderson will often be asked to defend opponents best backcourt scorer (1's,2's, and 3's). I pray Henderson is ready to press more too. Dunn, Gregory, Henderson applying traps and pressure can be damn scary as the season progresses.

Front court defense and assignments will depend on how much more physically Andy Martin can do. His strength is shadowing the paint and help defense. His weakness is denying the low post man. Kemp and Hutchison will likely be expected to be our primary post defenders. Weisner is a shorter version of Martin. I hope he has added some bulk too. Athletically he is capable of being a post and perimeter defender.

I wish Breunig could play this season, he would a big help offensively and defensively. I don't know what to expect of Gfeller, and Jack Lopez. It sounds like each can play SG and SF.

Wiley really impressed me against Syracuse, and he is the biggest wildcard on the team. It is hard to keep his kind of athleticism off the court. I have no idea where or how he fits in. He has the most upside between him, Weisner, and Henderson. I do see minutes available for him at PF, and maybe SF, depending on how what he has worked on in the off season.

Emerson is another player I have not seen enough or heard enough to really evaluate his role. I do believe his best position is SF though. I just don't see how he plays into the numbers game. Then again, I have heard many good things about him, so it is hard for me to count him out.

No doubt the GRIZ are loaded at PG, SG, and SF. I cannot think of anytime the GRIZ have been this deep at these positions. The likes of Henderson, Weisner, Emerson, and Wiley could all likely be major minute contributors on any other program in the conference, except maybe Weber State.

With all this depth, will this be the year when Wayne goes with more balls to the wall pressure defense and more running? I really see a great transition team with this personnel. I don't see us as a run and gun team though. We don't have the rebounding depth to do it. We are an eligible Martin Breunig away from that style.

mtgrizrule said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PG Jordan Gregory Jr 6-2
Keron DeSheilds Jr 6-2
Morgan Young SoR 6-0

Riley Bradshaw FrR 6-2
Jack Lopez Fr 6-5

SF Kareem Jamar Sr 6-5
Nick Emerson SoR 6-5

Chris Kemp Jr 6-7
Jake Wiley So 6-6

C Erik Hutchison Sr 6-9
Andy Martin So 7-0

I am not going to break to it down by position, being the majority of roster plays multiple positions. Wayne's depth also varies from opponent to opponent, depending on hot hand, gut feeling, and match ups. Also Riley Bradshaw is not eligible the 1st part of the season.

Starting 5 (come conference play, he experiments a lot in out of conference play).
DeShields
Gregory
Jamar
Kemp (better than anyone from last season on the boards)
Huthison

2nd 5
Dunn
Bradshaw
Henderson
Weisner (he is a SF in my opinion, and out of position in the paint)
Martin

I don't see Gregory running the offense very often. I see Deshields, Jamar, Bradshaw, and Dunn running the half court sets. Gregory is too damn good of a shooter and will be expected to score a lot more this season with Cherry and Ward departing. Defensively, I can see Gregory playing both PG and SG assignments. I see Bradshaw more of a SG defender. Deshields rotating on each. Dunn being a PG defender. Jamar will likely be a point forward offensively, I see him defensively playing mostly SF's. Henderson will often be asked to defend opponents best backcourt scorer (1's,2's, and 3's). I pray Henderson is ready to press more too. Dunn, Gregory, Henderson applying traps and pressure can be damn scary as the season progresses.

Front court defense and assignments will depend on how much more physically Andy Martin can do. His strength is shadowing the paint and help defense. His weakness is denying the low post man. Kemp and Hutchison will likely be expected to be our primary post defenders. Weisner is a shorter version of Martin. I hope he has added some bulk too. Athletically he is capable of being a post and perimeter defender.

I wish Breunig could play this season, he would a big help offensively and defensively. I don't know what to expect of Gfeller, and Jack Lopez. It sounds like each can play SG and SF.

Wiley really impressed me against Syracuse, and he is the biggest wildcard on the team. It is hard to keep his kind of athleticism off the court. I have no idea where or how he fits in. He has the most upside between him, Weisner, and Henderson. I do see minutes available for him at PF, and maybe SF, depending on how what he has worked on in the off season.

Emerson is another player I have not seen enough or heard enough to really evaluate his role. I do believe his best position is SF though. I just don't see how he plays into the numbers game. Then again, I have heard many good things about him, so it is hard for me to count him out.

No doubt the GRIZ are loaded at PG, SG, and SF. I cannot think of anytime the GRIZ have been this deep at these positions. The likes of Henderson, Weisner, Emerson, and Wiley could all likely be major minute contributors on any other program in the conference, except maybe Weber State.

With all this depth, will this be the year when Wayne goes with more balls to the wall pressure defense and more running? I really see a great transition team with this personnel. I don't see us as a run and gun team though. We don't have the rebounding depth to do it. We are an eligible Martin Breunig away from that style.
Excellent analysis and obviously much deeper then mine. Mine was kinda shot from the hip. I agree DeSheilds is far better at running the floor then Gregory and In turn Gregory is a much better shooter then DeSheilds. I'm really hoping Tinkle will sit Dunn for the year. It will be nice to have him as a three year starter at the point. At the same time I relize that if he can contribute and make us a better team then Tinkle will use him now.
I think with Lopez's international expierience, he may be ready to step in and contribute valuable mins. Bradshaw can run the floor but he'll be a dangerous scorer also. I think with the depth in the backcourt, if anybody is going to RS it's Gfeller. It's not a knock on him, he's just the odd man out.
I think your right about Weisner being more of a SF but last year Kareem played 35 mins a game and you got to have Weisners shooting out there as much as you can. He led the team in 3pt% and FT% and will help spread the defenses. Kemp and Wiley are much more suited to play PF and Kemp is probably the most rounded PF. It's deffenetly a good thing to have to many quality players and not enough space for em all.

Latest posts

Back