• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2013-14 Men's Roster

Mslacat

So what does the 2013-14 Roster look like? With all due respect to Mr. Emerson I thought his scholarship for 2013 was given to Bradsaw the minute he was signed. Once though I get past him I think it is difficult to figure out who will have to leave the program to get below the 13 scholarship limit. Now there is always the possibility that a player will stay with the program once his scholarship is cut but that rarely happens. There is also the possibility a player may be home sick and wants to leave the program. Jamar and Gregory seem like a lock to be returning. The 5 players who signed LOI are guaranteed a scholarship for 2013-14 (unless they do not make grades). That is 7 scholarships. Wiley, Martin and Hutchisons also seem like locks to return (anyone disagree). I think that leaves 5 players two of whom will need to have their scholarship cut when the Griz report their official 2013-14 scholarship players to the NCAA.

Back for sure
1. Kareem Jamar - League MVP (Lock)
2. Jordan Gregory - Potential star (Lock)
3. Jake Wiley - Tinkle keeps mentioning his great potenial (Seems like a lock)
4. Andy Martin - Solid freshman year and did I mention he is 7'-0" (Seem like a lock)
5. Eric Hutchison - Senior to be, solid journeyman, 1 of few expericanced big men returning (Seems like a Lock)
6. Riley Bradshaw - Guaranteed a scholarship
7. Brandon Gfeller - Guaranteed a scholarship
8. Mario Dunn - Guaranteed a scholarship
9. Chris Kemp - Guaranteed a scholarship
10. Martin Breunig - Guaranteed a scholarship

Possible Leaving (by their or Tinkle's choice)
11. Kevin Henderson - A lot of potential, could be counted on for major minutes in 2013-14 but legal problems
12. Keron DeShields - Potential starter, but legal problems
13. Spencer Coleman - Solid journeyman 1st season, had some really nice games, returner at a position that does not have a lot experienced depth, but a little bit of a disappointment. Some legal issues.
14. Nick Emerson - expendable when Bradley signed
15. Mike Weisner - I liked him, thought he had a pretty decent sophomore season and brought something the Griz don't have a lot of deep three point range. Little bit of a tweener no natural position Minor legal problems

Walk-ons (there is always the possiblity of walk-ons moving on)
Morgan Young
Daine Mueller

This sucks, but if I had to guess based on needs, it would be Emerson and DeShields. But I suppose Coleman's goose may be cooked based on recent events.

I don't believe Weisner or DeShields are going anywhere.

If I had to pick I would think Emerson and Coleman would be the odd men out. Bradshaw replaces Emerson and Kemp replaces Coleman.

BDizzle said:

If I had to pick I would think Emerson and Coleman would be the odd men out. Bradshaw replaces Emerson and Kemp replaces Coleman.

Agreed. Emerson & Coleman.

No matter who they are, it is not good for whoever it is.

My guess, Emerson, and Henderson. Unless there is more to Weisner's and Coleman's legal situations than we know. They fill much bigger needs for the GRIZ, than Henderson. Plus they can be relied to be prompt for practices, workouts, etc. I would hate to see either go though. The decision will be interesting, and I hope we hear soon. This kind of speculation is not good to keep lingering.

If not Henderson, Coleman being the others can be developed further. They have more eligibility left. Weisner and DeShields are pretty safe, in my opinion.

AZGrizFan said:
BDizzle said:

Agreed. Emerson & Coleman.

+2

Its funny that you guys all assume Bradshaw is getting a scholly, when in fact, the gave him a half year scholarship last year only because Marko left and it wasn't being used. They told him at that point, he would be a walk on the next year. Bradshaw is fully prepared for that and knows that is what is coming. Emerson is not getting axed, despite what people think (or wish for). Tinkle is going to make an example of someone who has screwed up and pull a scholly from Henderson or Coleman.

monteandmofan said:
Its funny that you guys all assume Bradshaw is getting a scholly, when in fact, the gave him a half year scholarship last year only because Marko left and it wasn't being used. They told him at that point, he would be a walk on the next year. Bradshaw is fully prepared for that and knows that is what is coming. Emerson is not getting axed, despite what people think (or wish for). Tinkle is going to make an example of someone who has screwed up and pull a scholly from Henderson or Coleman.

Hope you are right. It is always good to have Montana kids on the roster. :thumb:

I suspect monte/mo is correct that Emerson is not getting "axed." However, sometimes kids get told in no uncertain terms that will never see any meaningful minutes, and it's hard to justify all the hard work and commitment to basketball when that's the reality you face.

Desheilds is working harder this off-season than anyone and often spends time with the tinkle family. He will be back and start and be good. Wiesner will be back 100%. If you idiots think these 2 go anywhere then you know nothing about the team. Ps charges are being dropped on desheilds.

If I was Bradshaw, and I wasn't getting a scholarship, I'd leave. Tinkle isn't an idiot. Bradshaw is on scholarship.

Bradshaw was one of the top recruits for USU last year. He was being billed as being on par with Marcel Davis (USU fans like to evoke the image of Damian Lillard when talking about Davis, but he isn't anywhere near as good, but he is a definite talent) when they both signed. I was told by a good friend at USU that Bradshaw could have started at USU last year, and that Stew was disappointed when Bradshaw left. He has a lot of upside and has the potential of being a really great player. He isn't Mario Dunn, but after Dunn he might be your best guard on your roster.

WSUWALDO said:
If I was Bradshaw, and I wasn't getting a scholarship, I'd leave. Tinkle isn't an idiot. Bradshaw is on scholarship.

Bradshaw was one of the top recruits for USU last year. He was being billed as being on par with Marcel Davis (USU fans like to evoke the image of Damian Lillard when talking about Davis, but he isn't anywhere near as good, but he is a definite talent) when they both signed. I was told by a good friend at USU that Bradshaw could have started at USU last year, and that Stew was disappointed when Bradshaw left. He has a lot of upside and has the potential of being a really great player. He isn't Mario Dunn, but after Dunn he might be your best guard on your roster.

I know Bradshaw was offered a scholarship after he announced he was leaving Utah State by at least Idaho State and Montana State. There might have been more (Wash. St. was after him pretty hard his senior year) Tinkle must have been feeling pretty confident about Bradshaw's wanting to be closer to Corvallis to roll the dice and not not offer him a scholarship for 2013-14, if that is indeed what happened.

grizindabox said:
There is no way Tinks has Emerson on scholly and Bradshaw not on scholly. Just do not see it.

I wonder if Wayne is still trying to decide who is here and who is not next season? I too think, Deshields and Weisner's minor issues are just that, and don't justify either being gone. Emerson, certainly has done his part in staying out of trouble, and worked on his game. Hard to fathom getting Bradshaw w/out a scholarship.

Could it be Coleman and Henderson? Before I get hung out to dry here, let me say "I don't know, and have not heard anything about any of the players". I am trying to speculate and take an educated guess.
If Wayne wants to make a loud statement to his players, I think choosing to release those 2 would be the biggest statement possible. Choosing to release one slotted starter that can do a little of everything (Coleman), and a very talented key potential rotational player (Henderson), would really be surprising. I do think Wayne needs to make a very strong statement to his team.

I have no idea who will be where next season, and would not want to be Wayne making this decision. The series of circumstances and adding new players, make for the most difficult decision Wayne has had since being head coach.

I cannot wait for football and basketball seasons to get here. :thumb:

It might seem like a difficult decision, but cutting some guys loose for issues like DUIs may actually benefit the team in the long run. It just makes the program look better to future recruits and their parents. Makes it look like a no nonsense program committed to doing things right.

And in a selfish way, if we don't win the sky next season because of this, then maybe we get to keep Tinkle around longer.

Why do folks keep on bringing up Henderson when like ten posts ago there was this quote?:

maroonandsilver said:
Kevin Henderson was awarded one of the named scholarships at the recent awards banquet, so I doubt he is leaving.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
Why do folks keep on bringing up Henderson when like ten posts ago there was this quote?:

maroonandsilver said:
Kevin Henderson was awarded one of the named scholarships at the recent awards banquet, so I doubt he is leaving.

It is because nobody is sure who is leaving or not. There are reasons to keep each player. The decision is a tough one for Wayne. Unless some guys are willing to be extremely loyal, there is no way the GRIZ can keep everyone. Somebody has to go.

Henderson does have some minor issues with being on time for certain things. I think that is the main reason why some people rationalize him maybe going elsewhere. Rather than wonder why people are thinking he might be gone, why not expand on who you think will be gone, and why? Right now there are legit reasons listed for each mentioned player to be let go and legit reasons to keep each. What do you think?

Barring any drastic surprises, the most likely to be elsewhere are Henderson, Coleman, Deshields, Emerson, and Weisner. Yet, with each one we have seen/heard good reasons to keep each too.

PeauxRouge said:
It might seem like a difficult decision, but cutting some guys loose for issues like DUIs may actually benefit the team in the long run. It just makes the program look better to future recruits and their parents. Makes it look like a no nonsense program committed to doing things right.

And in a selfish way, if we don't win the sky next season because of this, then maybe we get to keep Tinkle around longer.
The only thing I don't agree with you on is the part about it being difficult to let them go. You drag the university and the program through the mud repeatedly then you need to go. I would have no hesitation or regrets about dropping dudes like that.

Back