• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2004 and Big sky tidbits

silvertipgriz

From the pages of the GF Tribune today.....take your blood pressure meds before reading all of the article......

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/news/stories/20031113/localsports/633437.html

I like that schedule for next year...

Hofstra and Maine at home...

Cal Poly and Sam Houston State on the road.

I like that there are no Division 1-A teams and I especially like that there are no Division II teams. Just good solid 1-AA teams. Ya can't argue with that.

I agree, I like the schedule too.

As for Mooshagian's comment.....are we all supposed to show up in boots so we can shake in them? That fella is in for alot of disappointment.

A nice schedule, no DII and no 1A games. Now we just need to get our AD's to talk and work out a home and home between GSU and Montana.

It's a good schedule, though I don't much like the Hofstra repeat. We already had a home-home with them...let's mix it up a bit! Also, Sam Houston and Hofstra both appear to be in rebuilding mode right now, though that's hard to predict. I'm sure when SH was originally scheduled they were a recent playoff-caliber team.

I would have rather seen a SoCon or Gateway team than Hofstra. All in all though it is very good...no true patsies and no D2. Would have liked to have seen 4 straight wins against Idaho, but I realize that is going to have to wait awhile due to NCAA 1-A rules.

I'd like to see a stern test against one of 1-AA's elite early in the year. Maine's not too far off right now, but how about GSU, McNeese, or Delaware? We know that these teams are likely among the top 20 teams every year so wouldn't have to worry much about rebuilding, etc. What can we do to make this happen?

etufarris said:
Would have liked to have seen 4 straight wins against Idaho, but I realize that is going to have to wait awhile due to NCAA 1-A rules.

The Griz had four straight wins against Idaho: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003.

Or are you saying that you just didn't see them all?

I also would have liked to see a GSU, McNeese, W. Kentucky, etc. on the schedule for a home & home. I know the AD was working on that. Maybe a couple of years down the road.

I don't understand scheduling Hofstra either. They're not the same team as they were in 2000. They suck now. If we play them at all, it should just be a one-and-done in Missoula like other cupcake games.

My take is that it is difficult for Hogan to get teams to agree on a home and home deal. I am sure every AD wants to play the Griz, but not in Missoula.

This is arguable of course, but I don't think even Kramer would say something that dumb. Since when is 26 points running up the score... and I haven't seen the Sac RB play but IMO it's fairly safe to say that Ochs is the best QB in the Big Sky and C Moore is the best WR, not Leadingham or Amey.

Side note about the MSU schedule, from what I hear the 1-A money opponent they're looking at is a certain team that has the same colors and nickname as Weber and has a well-known reputation for playing...umm... less than challenging non-conference schedules.

Hogan mentioned on the pre-game last week that he has tried to get Villanova on the schedule and they haven't been interested. I'm sure that is the case more than not with the Eastern teams. Sad, but true. It is a big financial committment to make the trip out here......to hopefully get spanked.

MSU01 said:
Side note about the MSU schedule, from what I hear the 1-A money opponent they're looking at is a certain team that has the same colors and nickname as Weber and has a well-known reputation for playing...umm... less than challenging non-conference schedules.

That sounds to me like Kansas State, but it could be Northwestern. Like Weber State, they're all Wildcats. Go figure.

It ain't Northwestern... of course this is just a "heard it from someone who heard it from someone who heard it from someone else" rumor... I'd prefer to see MSU stick to the Idaho's and Wyoming's of the 1-A world but I guess it's a good way for MSU to help its financial problems.

Why do some think Hofstra sucks? Because they have a poor record this year? Like the BSC, the A-10 is considered one of the best conferences in all of 1-AA. Top to bottom. I, for one, would be damn sure to argue with anybody from another conference if they got to bitching about having scheduled Weber St.(for example) and saying how they suck. We know different. Weber and Hoftsra have records such as they do because they play the Montanas and Delawares of 1-AA.

Grizdominate said:
My take is that it is difficult for Hogan to get teams to agree on a home and home deal. I am sure every AD wants to play the Griz, but not in Missoula.

I like what Hogan is doing with the schedule.

Its great that Hogan is negotiating home-and-aways with top tier 1-AA teams, as it is a no-win situation to play D-2 teams and the BCS formula discourages 1-A's from playing us (1-AA). It looks like Hogan is actively working (and having success) to get us top quality opponents and get the Griz some exposure in other regions of the country.

From the money side, I sense that Hogan will not "give up a profitable home game". Hogan will have some success because other 1-AA's want to play us and enjoy the 1,000 to 2,000 Griz fans that travel to see the game (tourist dollars).

Distance works against us, and some ADs choose to schedule another eastern team versus us. I suspect that Hogan has talked to counterparts at Northern Iowa, Delaware, U-Mass, McNeese, GA Southern, etc already. Cal Poly, Northern Colorado, Maine, Hofstra, and Sam Houston are quality opponents with some experiencing disappointing years.

Go Griz!

In 2005 we'll probably have to have two cupcakes on the schedule because we'll only have three home conference games again. In order to get six home games that year, expect three non-conference games at home and one on the road, that being Hofstra.

Ducharm-- Right on, the A10 beats each other up just like the Sky. Hofstra will be a very worthy opponent for the Griz as well as Maine will be. Both give us Eastern exposure and one of them will probably be the TFN game because of the two strong conference rivalary. Great schedule Wayne!!

DuCharme said:
Weber and Hoftsra have records such as they do because they play the Montanas and Delawares of 1-AA.

WSU has a good chance of having an 8-4 record this year, with the only "bad" loss being to MSU. If they had played, say, UNC and Sam Houston instead of Western State and Mt Tech they might be seriously considered for a 3rd BSC playoff spot given this years field. This schedule change and a win over MSU and they would be almost a lock to be in. I'm not trying to do a woulda/coulda/shoulda for WSU, but it does point out the importance of scheduling I-AA teams, even if they are mid-level.

Back