• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2003 season

I would like to have some opinion from some of your die hard fans on their outlook for the 2003 season and do you see yourselves returning to the play-offs with the domination and power in years past.

Also did ya'll get a new coach?

Good luck on a succesful year.

Eagle-
It is hard to predict how we will do this year because some major question marks that need to be answered. #1. Quarterback- we have two legit contenders to replace Edwards and they are in a heated battle. Former Colorado University starter Craig Ochs has transfered as well as a Junior College guy named Jeff Disney who has shown great promise as well. #2. Running back- we lost our best returning back this year but signed a big 6-1 225 guy out of a JC who previously attended San Diego State. We have a proven back comin back in JR Waller and some talented but unproven young guys. #3. Our defensive backfield- that very well be our weakest point. We have a great senior leader in CB Vernon Smith who should be an All American this year. The rest of the secondary will just be young talent and it all depends on how they develop.

We will be in the playoffs like usuall but it depends on how well those problems are addressed to decide on wether or not were playing Georgia Southern in the National championship this year.

We did get a new coach in former University of Washington Assistant Bobby Hauck. He is a younger guy who is bringing a fresh new attitude to the program. He is much more demanding on the players in terms of physicall conditioning than our previous coach was. And look for us to look like the Griz of old with a spread out pass happy offense!!! Should be fun to watch.

It will be even tougher to beat us at home this year with the editon of 4,000 new seats being added bringing our crowd to a total of 23,000 people screaming their asses off. If we can get three home playoff games this year than we will dominate and see GSU in the National Championship. If not than it will be a more difficult journey but although I am biased in my opionion the Griz are looking as good as they have in a long time!!!!!

Baller1

P.S. I assume your a GSU fan? What are some of their needs and how are they looking for the upcoming year. Of course they will be a contender like always.

Does anyone know the status of Dave DeCoite? He's one of the best safeties in the Big Sky unless you're assuming he has been derailed by grades or otherwise.

Also, I wouldn't put RB as a concern. Gober didn't play all that much last year due to his injury. Waller improved a great deal during the season. IMO, we're in much better shape at RB this year than we were at this time last year.

GrizBear-
Waller is talented back I'll give him that but I didn't see him enough last year to be able to tell what kind of potential he has(was at school in L.A.). At 5-9 he seems to small to be an everydown type of back but I guess with us passing more this year that won't factor into the equation as much. The reason I put RB down as a concern is that nobody really know about this new guy. We all know that he is big and started his career at SDSU but until gametime comes we won't really know. I'm excited about our RB's and I'm not trying to call them a weakness I just don't know that much about them. Its almost like our recievers were last year.
As to your question about Dave Decoite I have no clue I havent' heard anything major about him not passing classes but I will ask around and scour the papers like I'm sure your doing. I hope he keeps it together because he provides that nastiness for our defense. He is tough as hell and a talented athelete on top of that. Lets hope to see him layin wood come fall and hope that he gets through his school work.

Baller1

That's what's so quirky about predicting college football. We have some question spots, but so does everyone else. Overall, we are about as solid as a team can be without returning every starter. Just look at the two-deep, and just about every player there is a familiar name from last season. Now just add two great quarterbacks into the fold and you got yourself a winner. RB isn't really a weakness for us. I do agree that we are better there than we were a year ago. Let's just face it: a Yohance Humphery is a special kind of player that only comes by once in a blue moon.

Jimus, I think I see another Blue Moon on the horizon. Justin Green may just have plowed that blue moon up from California. I also think Waller will really come into his own this season, he progressed nicely throughout last season, and was looking pretty tough. But the big ? is still there, but for only about 44 days 2 min. 16 seconds though.

The question marks that Baller raises are valid and ones that everyone was wondering as soon as last season ended.

In the case of 1, the qbs, the only question left is which one will start, because there is no question that we'll see qb production that we've not witnessed for two years.

2. Rbs, it seems clear that the coaches will have Green down as their starter. At this point they go by what they've seen on tape not having coached or recruited the players they've got. I don't blame them either.
(BTW Waller played HS ball in Portland, not that it matters.)
PErsonally, i think Engleman is a better rb than Waller, but without a legit chance to prove himself we won't know. Also, the big question is will Green stay healthy. He played a lot(i think started some) at SDSU as a frosh, then got hurt. While injured coaching changes meant the team would use smaller quicker backs, and by the time Green healed he was 3rd on the list so he transfered to Mesa State(i think is the name) had a season with well over 1000 yards. As a side, while still at SDSU the knock on him was that he was a tad to slow to be considered a standout quick back and a tad undersized to be a powerback in div 1-a(not my words, but from the sporting news or one of them). which sometimes means that he'd be just fine at 1-aa level.
-But i digress, at rb we'll be no worse than last year, and IMHO better.

3. corners....still a question. but if i had to venture an answer i'd say that a team that provides good pass-protection and has an accurate qb will do well against our corners as a group.
Luckily, most teams dont have o-lines that match up well against the Griz d-line.

I'll add a fourth question, and that's "what will the new DC do with a great d-line and good LBs?" I know he likes to run the Flex D but will he use that or go with what has worked best with the players he's got....will he be patient enough to wait until he can work him his scheme over a period of time?
We'll see what happens, and i'm optimistic. We saw the D do pretty well this spring, especially in the 3rd scrum, however the O did move the ball fairly well the first 2,,but mostly because we've got qbs that will pick apart any D.

Rumor alert....Look for two possible cornerback transfers from the SEC/ACC in the near future....

info said:
Rumor alert....Look for two possible cornerback transfers from the SEC/ACC in the near future....

Good first post! :roll:

I would crap if we could get any SEC DB transfers.....they are the creme de la creme down here at that postion. And they have about 500 other, closer 1-AAs to chose from if they want to transfer.

info, i'm a bit suspicious of your post. Do you have any further info or are you bound by confidentiallity. Hope its true, but you'll understand if I don't fall for it just yet. We've seen some rumor bomb dropped here before that turned out to be someone trying to stir s#!t up.

I'll wait for post number 2.

I am bound a bit by confidentiality...I even have the SEC/ACC school names but I would rather not reveal them or my source, it still is a rumor and that's why I posted it as such....I post a lot on other Boards and have read this one since it's inception but this was my first post. I have two degrees from UM and I am a long-time football season ticket holder. My oldest son is currently attending UM and is as big a Griz fan as his old man...

info said:
I am bound a bit by confidentiality...I even have the SEC/ACC school names but I would rather not reveal them or my source, it still is a rumor and that's why I posted it as such....I post a lot on other Boards and have read this one since it's inception but this was my first post. I have two degrees from UM and I am a long-time football season ticket holder. My oldest son is currently attending UM and is as big a Griz fan as his old man...

Hmmm... I think all of us have the same credentials as you do..

Still, I appreciate this still being held at the rumor level until something is said by Todd Reed or Tom Katz. Then, and only then, will it be true! :roll:

I wasn't trying to present myself as anything more or less than any other poster...just attempting to respond to your concern about someone potentially coming on board and posting drivel just to create a stir...I wasn't doing that. Sorry my small mention of my background was misconstrued as bragging... :-?

IMHO all the concern over the CB, RB and DB positions is blown out of poroprtion. The Griz have always been somewhat weak at the corner postion most often only having one standout at that position. Vernon Smith is as good a corner as a I-AA program can get and as long as he is healthy the Griz will be fine at corner. Additionally, I feel that between Nathan Adkins, Michael Rubie, and Tuff Harris the Griz will fill the other side just fine. I watched Adkins in spring scrimmages. He's stout, athletic and a burner. Waller, in spite of competing with two other rb's last season finished with over 800 yards rushing. I don't think Yo even had numbers like that as a frosh. At safety, Kevin Edwards showed a lot of promise last year as did Kyle Scholle and another youngster no one has seen is redshirt Jelani Gamba. DeCoite is a tremendous athlete, tough, hard nosed and proven. Relax guys, the Griz weaknesses are not as glaring as a first glance might suggest. I think this years squad will prove as good or better than ever.

Well info, glad you jumped over to the poster side. And good to hear that you aren't kotobuki_ran under another alias...or HORNET.

Sorry to bring it up baller. We shouldn't see much of him around...unless by some miracle the cats beat the mighty Griz (whew, the lightning just missed me after that remark) then well see him everywhere. WEEZLE. PIP SQUEEK. ETC. ETC.

JahGriz said:
Well info, glad you jumped over to the poster side. And good to hear that you aren't kotobuki_ran under another alias...or HORNET.

If you ever go to www.anygivensaturday.com I would bet you anything that ~Hariko~ Or what ever the hell his name is there...is in fact Kobuki-ran! :roll:

It's true. He said so. He's also signed up here as Hachiko the Observer. I personally don't ever want to see him around here again, especially after using an alias after Bobby Hauck was hired, and then bashing the move and saying we could look forward to losing to Weber State every year. Grizzly fan my ass. What a punk.

Latest posts

Back