• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2 future Griz Badland Bowl MVP's

Tucker Schye is going to be a stud, big guy that can cover a lot of ground - https://twitter.com/SlimKimmel/status/346100030203121665" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was standing Next to a guy from Seattle who was just passing through Montana and was spending the night I'm Miles City he was impressed with Tucker Schey and made an comparison to him with Brian Urlacher when he was in HS. He suggested I google his HS videos and see if I could see the similarities

Richard Cranium said:
I was standing Next to a guy from Seattle who was just passing through Montana and was spending the night I'm Miles City he was impressed with Tucker Schey and made an comparison to him with Brian Urlacher when he was in HS. He suggested I google his HS videos and see if I could see the similarities

I watched the news highlights after the game. Tucker Schey had an awesome tackle on kickoff cover, he just swallowed up/enveloped the returner, Schey took him down to the ground hard. He then got up and was pumped. If he was that excited for a Badlands Bowl game, I can't wait to see how excited he plays in front of 26,000 maniacs in Missoula. No doubt in my mind, future All-American if he reaches his potential. And by the way, I totally see the high school Urlacher comparison.

Josh Horner had a nice touchdown. The camera angle wasn't that great (up-field and ground level), but it appeared as though he was in the slot and he ran a fast wheel route. The QB got him the ball quickly with the lateral throw, and the other WRs blocked well, and Horner slithered to daylight and wasn't touched or tackled until he ran just into the endzone by the deep free safety. Couldn't tell where the line of scrimmage was, but it was probably around a 15-20 yard play. Horner should be a real problem for linebackers and safeties in the BSC. A real fluid athlete.

Griz WR signee Josh Janssen had a nice touchdown grab on a slant pattern. He had gotten past the CB, caught the ball, and was not tackled. It was a real nice route, showed good speed. He looks like a gamer.

The highlights showed MSU QB commit McQueery, but his throws (that they showed) were all laterals to WRs. Difficult to say much about him.

But I am really high on Helena High QB Reardon. Man he rifled some nice accurate strikes (touchdowns). Especially the TD to Janssen. Montana Tech got a gem in him!

Looking forward to the Shrine game on July 20th.

Sorry if I misspelled names, it's late, goodnight.

Montana starts fast for 43-29 Badlands Bowl victory
GREG RACHAC [email protected] The Billings Gazette
By Greg Rachac
Greg Rachac [email protected]

(0) CommentsMILES CITY — Butte High coach Arie Grey didn’t have much time — five days precisely — to install his up-tempo, spread-’em-out offense for the 20th annual Knights of Columbus Badlands Bowl.

But you wouldn’t have known it by the early performance.

Points came fast and easy for Montana in the first quarter against North Dakota in a 43-29 victory on a sun-soaked Saturday at Connors Stadium. The fast-paced victory extended Montana’s all-time series advantage to 15-5 over North Dakota.

And though they had to atone for a few costly turnovers in the second half, the Montana stars extended their home-field dominance to a 9-2 mark in games played at Connors Stadium.

“We were just pumped up and excited to play,” said Great Falls CMR tight end Josh Horner, who was named his team’s offensive MVP. “It wasn’t their defense necessarily; it was just the way we worked as a unit.”

Under Grey’s watchful eye, quarterbacks Quinn McQueary and Dawson Reardon ran the offense with precision in the first quarter. Manhattan’s McQueary and Helena High’s Reardon each threw two first-quarter touchdowns to build a 29-point lead.

McQueary and Reardon started the game 7 for 7 for 42 yards. Horner was their favorite target, catching 10 passes in the first half, including an 11-yard touchdown on a quick swing pass from McQueary on the first drive of the game.

Billings Central’s Jacob Stanton, Kalispell Glacier’s Kyle Griffith, and Missoula Loyola’s Josh Janssen also caught TD passes in the first half to help Montana build its lead.

For the game, McQueary and Reardon combined to throw for 289 yards, and guided the offense to 505 total yards. McQueary also rushed for 67 yards.

But Montana had to bear down in the second half to stave off a dramatic shift in momentum. North Dakota clawed its way back in the game, beginning with a big play by Bismarck High defensive back Josh Seibel to take away a would-be touchdown.

As Montana running Zach Bunney broke free down the right sideline in the third quarter, he appeared destined for the end zone. But Butte High’s Bunney, after scurrying 62 yards, was caught from behind by Seibel at the 2-yard line. Seibel stripped the ball and recovered it in the end zone for a touchback and a big takeaway.

Later, Seibel and Bismarck teammate Nick Goulet each returned interceptions for touchdowns to pull the North Dakotans within seven points — 29-22 — with 2:30 remaining in the third quarter.

“They started pressing our receivers a little bit, and it was harder for us to get open,” Horner said. “I think that was probably why we had a little slow spell.”

North Dakota’s defense had four interceptions in all. But its fifth, a deflected ball that was also returned for a third-quarter touchdown by Goulet, was called back on a defensive holding penalty that nullified the points — and a potential tie on the scoreboard.

It was a huge play that went for naught.

“We’re going to look back at that, and it’s going to be a big part of the game,” said North Dakota quarterback Ben Jolliffe, a product of Bismarck High. “Half our team was on the field jumping around, and then we saw the flag. That was totally deflating.”

Facing adversity in the second half, Montana made plays when it counted. Helena Capital’s Gunnar Brekke ran for a pair of touchdowns in the fourth quarter to help put the game away.

On one key sequence, McQueary connected with Janssen on a fourth-down conversion that eventually led to a 1-yard TD run by Brekke and a 36-21 lead.

Brekke, the state’s Gatorade player of the year, rushed for 37 yards, but Bunney led the way on the ground with 110 yards on just 12 carries. Cody Vitt, from 8-Man Fairview, had 52 yards rushing.

Horner, who played quarterback for CMR last fall, finished with a game-high 12 catches for 87 yards. Malta linebacker Tucker Schye was named Montana’s defensive MVP.

“Our front seven was pretty tough, and we were able to stop the run,” Schye said. “We’ve got a great D-line and a great set of linebackers. It’s going to be tough to run against a group like that.”

North Dakota’s offensive MVP was Jolliffe, who scrambled for an 11-yard touchdown on the first drive of the third quarter to get his team on the scoreboard. Jolliffe threw for 101 yards and rushed for 41 more.

The North Dakota All-Stars predicated their offense on running the ball, but they averaged just 3.4 yards per carry (140 yards on 41 attempts).

Montana posted its 15th Badlands Bowl victory.

ND 0 0 21 8

Montana 29 0 0 14

First quarter

M: Josh Horner 11 pass from Quinn McQueary (2-point attempt successful)

M: Jacob Stanton 10 pass from Dawson Reardon (Kyle Griffith kick)

M: Griffith 26 pass from McQueary (Griffith kick)

M: Josh Janssen 15 pass from Reardon (Griffith kick)

Second quarter

No scoring

Third quarter

ND: Ben Jolliffe 7 run (run failed)

ND: Nick Goulet 39 interception return (Dustin Iverson pass from Jolliffe)

ND: Josh Seibel 27 interception return (Seibel kick)

Fourth quarter

M: Gunnar Brekke 1 run (Griffith kick)

M: Brekke 5 run (Griffith kick)

ND: Layne Johs 3 run (Dan Arnold pass from Trevor Zacher)

Individual statistics

Rushing: ND — Layne Johs 13-45, Zach Reich 13-39, Ben Jolliffe 8-36, Seth Ewoniuk 2-14, Preston Lehman 4-6, Christian Lunde 1-4, Trevor Zacher 1-(-)6. M — Zach Bunney 14-116, Quinn McQueary 11-60, Cody Vitt 14-65, Gunnar Brekke 10-36, Dawson Reardon 2-(-)4.

Passing: ND — Jolliffe 6-13-1, 103 yards; Zacher 4-10-1, 71 yards. M — McQueary 24-30-3, 184 yards; Reardon 15-24-1, 129 yards.

Receiving: ND — Dustin Iverson 3-37, Dan Arnold 2-73, Jeff Illies 2-39, Lunde 2-28, Ewoniuk 1-7. M — Josh Horner 12-87, Josh Janssen 6-65, Kyle Griffith 5-44, Jacob Stanton 5-25, Gunnar Brekke 4-28, Austin Carver 3-34, Bunney 2-21, Bryce Armstrong 2-9.

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/sports/high-school/football/montana-starts-fast-for---badlands-bowl-victory/article_a6d2d510-cc31-5902-ae9d-61ebc07cc3b7.html#ixzz2WOHLj7Su" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was not impressed with Gunner Brekke. He got hit pretty damn hard and that may have taken the wind out of his sails. The Griz recruits were by far the best players on the field. The Mahony kid is very slight and not very aggressive on the line of schrommage. The AA defensive MVP from Glacier is totally lazy.

Glad to see state champion Zach Bunney being the games leading rusher. Bodes well for MT Tech.
Glaciers Kyle Griffith's 26 yard touchdown reception started with a tremendous juke move. Very well done.
Griz signee Janssen had a "key sequence" 4th down catch, was MT 2nd leading WR behind Horner (two Griz).
Good to see Griz signee from Dillon, Austin Carver, catch a few balls for over an 11 yard average.
msu recruit McQueary had 3 interceptions, ouch.

I watched Schey carefully at the State B Bball tournament. He has the frame and mobility of Jordan Tripp. He has quick feet and very, very good court vision, the latter essential to good linebacker play. He's a good, not great Bball player, but looks to be an outstanding linebacker prospect. He is already a very strong kid; he will get much stronger. I laugh at posters who dissed this selection by the Griz because he's from class B.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Glad to see state champion Zach Bunney being the games leading rusher. Bodes well for MT Tech.
Glaciers Kyle Griffith's 26 yard touchdown reception started with a tremendous juke move. Very well done.
Griz signee Janssen had a "key sequence" 4th down catch, was MT 2nd leading WR behind Horner (two Griz).
Good to see Griz signee from Dillon, Austin Carver, catch a few balls for over an 11 yard average.
So...did mcQueary throw BOTH oskies? (int. for t.d.) :egriz:

rimrockgriz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
So...did mcQueary throw BOTH oskies? (int. for t.d.) :egriz:
yes and he threw 4 ints not 3. he threw five against loyola in a playoff game last year.

Montana Tech's Reardon had the better game passing than Montana State's McQueary:

Dawson Reardon 18-26-0 Int-147, Quinn McQueary 19-27-four int-142. Both had 2 TD throws.

Montana Tech's Bunney had the better game rushing than Montana State's Brekke:

Zach Bunney 15-110 (leading rusher), Gunnar Brekke 10-37 (team 4th leading rusher).

INTERESTING

*****RECORD SETTER*****

Josh Horner (Griz) caught 12 passes...I looked that up and that ties the Badlands Bowl MonDak record for most receptions in the game, set by Matt Miller (former Helena Capital, current Boise State WR).

IntuitiveGriz said:
Montana Tech's Reardon had the better game passing than Montana State's McQueary:

Dawson Reardon 18-26-0 Int-147, Quinn McQueary 19-27-four int-142. Both had 2 TD throws.

Zach Bunney 15-110 (leading rusher), Gunnar Brekke 10-37 (team 4th leading rusher).

INTERESTING
I laughed when he committed to MSU right after that Loyola game...looks like he might be color blind. :shock:

AZGrizFan said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

INTERESTING
I laughed when he committed to MSU right after that Loyola game...looks like he might be color blind. :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :egriz:

Back