• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

10 win season

cody45051

I don't think anyone goes through the BSC without two league losses this year. I can see us losing to Eastern but after that I have no idea because so many teams are competitive now: NAU, MSU, SUU (but don't know much about the birds in particular). Besides the Cats, the game I'm most looking forward to is App. St. It will indicate what we are going to do this year. I'm pumped for this season! What do you think?

I looking for us to not lose any games right up to and including the championship!

cody45051 said:
I don't think anyone goes through the BSC without two league losses this year. I can see us losing to Eastern but after that I have no idea because so many teams are competitive now: NAU, MSU, SUU (but don't know much about the birds in particular). Besides the Cats, the game I'm most looking forward to is App. St. It will indicate what we are going to do this year. I'm pumped for this season! What do you think?
As long as our offense can stay on the field and finish drives, we'll definitely be able to win 10 games.

Everyone is digging on our pass defense and probably expecting it to be horrible, but remember 2004? Our pass defense was arguably worse than it was last year, yet we made it to the chipper because of great QB play and the ability to finish drives. (In b4 "OMG 660!!")

I'll eat a plateful of crow if I'm wrong, but I bet our defense is much better this year, and I can see us winning at least 8 games. I think we'll all be astounded at how much better our team is when the offense doesn't go dead for two straight quarters.

That, IMO, was the biggest problem our team had, not the pass defense. :twocents:

Yes it is fun to talk about our next season right now. A few months ago it looked like we were in a suicide mode at best. We had just gone through a bad to horrid season last year, we had a old over the hill coach selected by the president with out one ounce of search etc, toss in some rape issues and a few other issues we looked like we had been knocked down in the first round about four times. Baad sick as a dog!

We have bounced back, I have predicted a 75% win season after we got JJ back. I tend to think I will up grade that later but for now I feel GOOD!!!!!

FWIW, I think the Griz D is a few Adjustments away from being a top tier FCS D. The D will keep the griz in alot of games. The O has alot of potential to be good to very good, they will keep the D off the field more than last year. But they will need some role players to step-up and help JJ. The weak link to me seems to be the kicking game, Lider has to play better if the Griz plan on going far. All this said, they could make a run at the NC game if they are on the other side of the bracket from NDSU. The Griz have to make alot of improvements and growth in season to even be considered in the same breath as the Bison at this point.
Pray for 10 wins, and home Playoff games. @NAU will test them, and @Sacstate is always a good game.
The first 2 games will check the Pass D.

Redonkuless1 said:
FWIW, I think the Griz D is a few Adjustments away from being a top tier FCS D. The D will keep the griz in alot of games. The O has alot of potential to be good to very good, they will keep the D off the field more than last year. But they will need some role players to step-up and help JJ. The weak link to me seems to be the kicking game, Lider has to play better if the Griz plan on going far. All this said, they could make a run at the NC game if they are on the other side of the bracket from NDSU. The Griz have to make alot of improvements and growth in season to even be considered in the same breath as the Bison at this point.

An efficient, proficient offense AUTOMATICALLY makes the defense about 10 points per game better...just by not having to spend so much time on the field after 3-outs....

AZGrizFan said:
Redonkuless1 said:

An efficient, proficient offense AUTOMATICALLY makes the defense about 10 points per game better...just by not having to spend so much time on the field after 3-outs....

Agreed! But to win the grinder games the O has to pull out a new weapon from the bag. And Lider has to make all his FG's and PAT's

AZGrizFan said:
Eastern isn't 1/2 the team they were last year. No way we lose to them.

Both EWU Qb's I beleive were freshman, and were damm impressive! I think they only lose one excellent WR and retain a few other good ones.

I would love to see the Griz end, D McGee's career with a losss at Bozo's Litterbox and push them right out of the playoffs!

I noticed where jj reclaimed his starting position ....I also know it is spring ball,,,how ever does anyone know what the final depth chart is for all the positions ? ....just wondering what the coaches think now that its over...

GlacierGrizX said:
Both EWU Qb's I beleive were freshman, and were damm impressive! I think they only lose one excellent WR and retain a few other good ones.

No, EWU lost their top 3 very talented receivers (Nicholas Edwards, Greg Herd, Brandon Kaufman - Junior going to NFL). Padron at QB will be a senior and Vernon Adams will be a sophomore QB. EWU also lost Zach Johnson, Paul Ena, and Jeff Minnerly off of their defense. The loss of the 3 receivers will be huge.

coyote said:
I looking for us to not lose any games right up to and including the championship!

There is still the "Delaney Factor". That is still the biggest unknown at this point.

go96griz said:
GlacierGrizX said:

No, EWU lost their top 3 very talented receivers (Nicholas Edwards, Greg Herd, Brandon Kaufman - Junior going to NFL). Padron at QB will be a senior and Vernon Adams will be a sophomore QB. EWU also lost Zach Johnson, Paul Ena, and Jeff Minnerly off of their defense. The loss of the 3 receivers will be huge.

Padron declared for the draft, I believe. They lost a LOT.

coyote said:

I agree! I think we have the makings of an excellent team that has a legitimate chance at a title. So many bright spots and so much speed, talent, and depth across the board.

Need to improve the kicking game/snaps and safety play. The rest of the team is anywhere from very good to excellent. The team appears to have come together and re-dedicated itself over last year's poor season, the trial of JJ, and the coaching shakeup with Pflu. One of the biggest spring improvements has been the changes to this year's coaching staff.

We've got the caddy back, now we just need Mick to keep it on the road. This could be a special year!

10-2 is a tall order. Before the return of JJ I looked at the schedule and figured favored/toss-up/underdog games. giving a 75%/50%/25% win chance to each. That resulted in a probable 6-6 season looking at what I considered games where the Griz were favored (vsOKP, vsPSU, @UCD, @USD, vsWSU), games where it was a toss-up (@UND, @NAU) and games where they'd be underdogs (vsApp, vsCPSLO, vsEWU, @Sac, @MSU).

I think the improvement on defense, the arrival of Tavon Van, and the return of JJ has been a big help. I think it takes many games where the Griz may have been underdogs and tips it in their favor. I'd probably tip the three home games to toss-ups and move the current toss-ups to favored. That then takes the win probability to

Favored: 7 games
Toss-up: 3 games
Underdogs: 2 games

Going by the 75%/50%/25% margin you're looking at between 7 and 8 wins. The three toss-ups all being in Wa-Griz help so I'd probably say this is more likely an 8 or 9 win team. I like that the majority of the games they may not initially be favored in they've got at home. (EWU, App, CPSLO)

AZGrizFan said:

:lol:

I guess everything IS bigger in Texas, including delusion. ;)

I notice you didn't wager a buck-naked walk down main street this time. By the way, did you ever make good on that? :lol:

Screamin_Eagle174 said:
AZGrizFan said:

:lol:

I guess everything IS bigger in Texas, including delusion. ;)

I notice you didn't wager a buck-naked walk down main street this time. By the way, did you ever make good on that? :lol:
Granted..."your not half the team is six pack talk", but without Kaufman and Co. it will be a tall order to replace. On the road versus at home is another factor.The q.b. situation last year here was on and off like a water valve. I look forward to this game for sure. :thumb:

AZGrizFan said:
go96griz said:
GlacierGrizX said:

Padron declared for the draft, I believe. They lost a LOT.

Considering how good Adams is, we'll be fine. We also return 4/5 starters on the OL. Kaufman will be missed to be sure, but we always reload at WR. I mean think back the last 10 years... when have we NOT had an AA stud wideout? Kimble, Boyce, Edwards, Kaufman. We do lose some height at the position, as I think only RS Fr Keylin Huddleston is over 6'2 (he's 6'6), but what we lack in height we make up in speed. Shaq Hill is a shifty burner, like a smaller Taiwan at WR, but the name you'll be hearing a lot is Cooper Kupp. He's the next EWU AA WR.

Defense, we might be better than last year. Only starter in the secondary we lost was Minnerly, but the RS Fr who stepped in for him last year, Jordan Tonani, was just as good, if not better than him LAST year. Not to mention we have Tevin McDonald back there too (granted he doesn't fuck up with the pot). He's already returning punts and pick-sixing balls like a mofugga. We return our top tackler in LB Ronnie Hamlin, who had a JC Sherritt type year in 2012, and is already showing signs he'll be even better. He had 11 tackles, a sack, and a pick 6 yesterday in the second scrimmage. Cody McCarthy will fill in nicely at Sam LB. We also have 2011's leading Tackler For Loss in DE Anthony Larry back who was ineligible last year because of grades (yeah, yuck it up :lol: ). We'll be fine. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back