• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

#10. Shotgun/Under Center

NLGrizFan

Well-known member
Just wondering what everyone thought about JJ under center this weekend. It just seemed to me that when he was in the shotgun there was bigger plays happening. I know that's what he is used to and how he has always played but, maybe it was just me, but as a couple friends and I watched the game we were talking about this and just wondering what the opinion was/is from some of you eGrizzers.
 
Just my opinion, but I thought the passing game opened up more out of the gun, while the running game seemed more effective under center.
Last season (with the exception of when we had a healthy Dan Moore) it seemed like the running game out of the gun suffered in short yardage situations most often when needing to convert on 3rd down.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 4
 
While JJ may be able to pass better out of the gun (although I thought he did great both under center and out of the gun), I have no doubt that the offense, and the team as a whole, will be much better off this season by being multi-faceted and running a multitude of formations both under center and from the gun. I suspect that the mix we see of both will change from week to week as they look to exploit weaknesses of each given team. I really like this offense. I said back before spring ball that it would be akin to the 49ers offense (as opposed to be a reincarnation of Bobby Ball),and I think that is what we are seeing play out so far. This team has so many weapons and can excel at either a speed or power game. There is no reason they should limit themselves to one or the other.

Go Griz!
 
I've always thought the running game was better with the QB under center. Gives the RB forward momentum at the hand off. But that's just me, never played, so whadda I know?
 
I guess I shoulda mentioned that too is what we were noticing that when he was under center the running game exploded. Plus with the talent of Van & Canada things really took off. Counts had a nice run too. Not a huge pick up but lots of power rolling thru that hole.
I would imagine we're all pretty fired up to see what's gonna happen in Grand Forks. Seems to be two totally different teams between App State and UND. Gonna be a very interesting season!!
 
Does anyone have any stats on this? I would do it but my laptop took a crap and still in the shop and my phone costs me to much data to watch the game for the 3rd time. I'm just really curious on how the under center is thing is workin out. Don't get me wrong, I really like it but I'd really like to see some numbers.
 
NLGrizFan said:
Does anyone have any stats on this? I would do it but my laptop took a crap and still in the shop and my phone costs me to much data to watch the game for the 3rd time. I'm just really curious on how the under center is thing is workin out. Don't get me wrong, I really like it but I'd really like to see some numbers.
What kind of numbers?

Plus, I wouldn't really be able to tell you whether it's for sure working or not after only one game.

On the interest of the past offenses (Pflu's vs. Bobby's), I did some analysis a few months ago on 3rd down conversion and red zone conversion, and, not surprisingly, Pflu's last season had higher conversion rates than many of Bobby's offenses (I think only 2008 and 2009 had higher rates), despite never running under center. (You could argue 2010 and 2012 were pretty bad, but one was his first season, which was still better than some of Hauck's offenses, and 2012 was, as far as we know, a statistical anomaly)

But let's wait to compare this season until we play a few more games.
 
uofmman1122 said:
NLGrizFan said:
Does anyone have any stats on this? I would do it but my laptop took a crap and still in the shop and my phone costs me to much data to watch the game for the 3rd time. I'm just really curious on how the under center is thing is workin out. Don't get me wrong, I really like it but I'd really like to see some numbers.
What kind of numbers?

Plus, I wouldn't really be able to tell you whether it's for sure working or not after only one game.

On the interest of the past offenses (Pflu's vs. Bobby's), I did some analysis a few months ago on 3rd down conversion and red zone conversion, and, not surprisingly, Pflu's last season had higher conversion rates than many of Bobby's offenses (I think only 2008 and 2009 had higher rates), despite never running under center. (You could argue 2010 and 2012 were pretty bad, but one was his first season, which was still better than some of Hauck's offenses, and 2012 was, as far as we know, a statistical anomaly)

But let's wait to compare this season until we play a few more games.
I just meant the numbers from Saturday. Comp/Att from under center Vs in The Gun. I'm tryin to completely forget about 2012 :lol:
 
Its good to discuss these things, but it appears that the coaches and JJ have this figured out. The game,in my view, was played to near perfection by the Griz.
 
NLGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
NLGrizFan said:
Does anyone have any stats on this? I would do it but my laptop took a crap and still in the shop and my phone costs me to much data to watch the game for the 3rd time. I'm just really curious on how the under center is thing is workin out. Don't get me wrong, I really like it but I'd really like to see some numbers.
What kind of numbers?

Plus, I wouldn't really be able to tell you whether it's for sure working or not after only one game.

On the interest of the past offenses (Pflu's vs. Bobby's), I did some analysis a few months ago on 3rd down conversion and red zone conversion, and, not surprisingly, Pflu's last season had higher conversion rates than many of Bobby's offenses (I think only 2008 and 2009 had higher rates), despite never running under center. (You could argue 2010 and 2012 were pretty bad, but one was his first season, which was still better than some of Hauck's offenses, and 2012 was, as far as we know, a statistical anomaly)

But let's wait to compare this season until we play a few more games.
I just meant the numbers from Saturday. Comp/Att from under center Vs in The Gun. I'm tryin to completely forget about 2012 :lol:

Well sat there were only 3or4 incomplete passes and 2 were throw aways....so either way it was productive
 
Spanky said:
Its good to discuss these things, but it appears that the coaches and JJ have this figured out. The game,in my view, was played to near perfection by the Griz.
Yep.

With the exception of a handful of plays, ASU was putty in the Griz hands....
 
Spanky said:
Its good to discuss these things, but it appears that the coaches and JJ have this figured out. The game,in my view, was played to near perfection by the Griz.
I'm sure they do. I'm just curious is all.
AZGrizFan said:
Spanky said:
Its good to discuss these things, but it appears that the coaches and JJ have this figured out. The game,in my view, was played to near perfection by the Griz.
Yep.

With the exception of a handful of plays, ASU was putty in the Griz hands....
Totally agree with you guys. I'm not worried or anything like that. I just thought this could be an interesting batch of numbers to look at just to see them since this is all new compared to 2011. The Griz manhandled App with style and confidence! (All due respect to App St).
 
Early in the game we were backed up on our own 20-25 yard line. We had 3rd and 1 and were in the shotgun. Asked my buddy if Phen-Phen was back calling plays. It worked out, pass for 7-8 yards...

Also, I seen more I-formation last weekend than I have in 5 years. Love it. :clap:

One more thing, I know it's just 1 game, but our D looked like the D from the days of Hauck. Bend but don't break. Love it. :clap:
 
this is the old apples and oranges....depends on game situations, ie. down and distance, type of game we are in, what is in the game plan, where we are stronger at o/l or they have a weak secondary....the key is for us to exploit the other team (adjustments) and we can do that by having the athletes we have...imo...
 
I was kinda concerned about JJ taking the ball under center because he did little or none of it in either HS or College. That being said, he looked like an old pro out there. No mishandled snaps that I recall, dropped back and stood in the pocket and delivered the ball on time. He looked completely comfortable in this offense.

Will be fun when they bust out the zone read. It's still in the offense and they will use it when they feel the need!
 
Good grief. Jordan Johnson is a quarterback, not a metric wrench. He's a bright, teachable athlete who should be able to adapt to taking snaps under center, regardless of what he did in high school. Many of the Griz are doing things differently than they did in high school, that's just the nature of college sports vs. preps. It's not like he's being asked to throw southpaw.
 
Back
Top