• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2023 Opponent In the National News

kemajic

DONOR
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ncaa-suspends-ferris-states-coach-after-players-lit-cigars-postgame-celebration

Yukon said:
NCAA is such a joke.
Whenever I see crap like this, I'm so reminded of the famous quote from Tark the Shark: "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, it's going to give Cleveland State two more years probation." From way, way back in the day, but Tarkanian knew all about the corruption and hypocrisy of the NCAA ... and nothing has really changed. If anything, it's gotten worse.

Yukon said:
NCAA is such a joke.

This has more to do with the agreement they have with McKinney ISD for use of the HS stadium. If the NCAA wants to continue to have access to these types of facilities they need to be compliant with the regulations of the governing bodies that own and operate these facilities. BTW this is a great facility, relatively new, $60 million+ stadium that outside of Wa/Griz is better than most in the Big Sky...

The suspension is probably an overreach. But I guess I just don't really understand the outrage.

Clear and reasonable rules were stated. Everyone understood them. The rules were violated. Should there not be repercussions?

EverettGriz said:
The suspension is probably an overreach. But I guess I just don't really understand the outrage.

Clear and reasonable rules were stated. Everyone understood them. The rules were violated. Should there not be repercussions?

Where did you learn the rules were clear and understandable, and that "everyone" understood them. Do you think the school rules were read to the players? Where's the rule that says that the coach gets a game suspension if 2 kids light up smokes?

I wonder if it's against the school rules to yell, scream and swear?

I wonder if the bus parked in the right spot, or illegally? Or, if anyone broke the school ground speed limit?

I wonder how many kids or teachers have smoked on campus, or in buildings, end not suspended?

It's about the dumbest suspension I've ever heard of in my life.

As life has gone on, my goal has been to break between 10 and 25 rules everyday.

mthoopsfan said:
EverettGriz said:

Where did you learn the rules were clear and understandable, and that "everyone" understood them. Do you think the school rules were read to the players? Where's the rule that says that the coach gets a game suspension if 2 kids light up smokes?

I wonder if the bus parked in the right spot, or illegally? Or, if anyone broke the school ground speed limit?

I wonder how many kids or teachers have smoked on campus, or in buildings, end not suspended?

As life has gone on, my goal has been to break between 10 and 25 rules everyday.

Hope this helps...

The stadium, located outside Dallas, is used for high school games and strictly prohibits the use of tobacco on its grounds.

Ferris State players also lit cigars after the school won the 2021 national title. After that, the school was fined and the players received a warning.

Annese said he stressed his zero-tolerance policy as it related to smoking cigars before the game.

"We are committed to running a program representing the ideals and values of Ferris State University, the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference and the NCAA," Annese said in a statement Thursday. "I understand the concerns raised by the NCAA. Immediately after the game, while I was in the postgame press conference, the two issues cited by the NCAA were addressed by my coaching staff.

"As a coaching staff, each day leading up to the national championship game, we had reminded our players that smoking cigars in celebration would not be allowed. My team was fully aware that the actions of the two players were inappropriate.

"No matter how minor the actions may seem, young people need to understand that there are consequences for their actions. We will address these concerns and continue to have a strong, positive football program that represents Ferris State University on and off the field."

rgrizfan said:
mthoopsfan said:

Hope this helps...

The stadium, located outside Dallas, is used for high school games and strictly prohibits the use of tobacco on its grounds.

Ferris State players also lit cigars after the school won the 2021 national title. After that, the school was fined and the players received a warning.

Annese said he stressed his zero-tolerance policy as it related to smoking cigars before the game.

"We are committed to running a program representing the ideals and values of Ferris State University, the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference and the NCAA," Annese said in a statement Thursday. "I understand the concerns raised by the NCAA. Immediately after the game, while I was in the postgame press conference, the two issues cited by the NCAA were addressed by my coaching staff.

"As a coaching staff, each day leading up to the national championship game, we had reminded our players that smoking cigars in celebration would not be allowed. My team was fully aware that the actions of the two players were inappropriate.

"No matter how minor the actions may seem, young people need to understand that there are consequences for their actions. We will address these concerns and continue to have a strong, positive football program that represents Ferris State University on and off the field."

Does that help HOOPS???

rgrizfan said:
mthoopsfan said:

Hope this helps...

Thanks. Didn't have that background. Where was it said the coach would be suspended for a game if anyone smoked a cigar? Rules are broken millions of times per hour, and most of the time there is little or no penalty. Breaking silly rules usually doesn't lead to suspensions.

What harm was caused? I assume the high school wasn't in session? I assume high schoolers were sharing the locker room? Wouldn't the locker room get cleaned thoroughly after the team showered and left?

Again, my view is that enforcing a high school rule in a football locker room after a college championship game is just plain ridiculous.

Mavman said:
rgrizfan said:
Hope this helps...

Does that help HOOPS???

See my response above.

UM is a tobacco free campus. What should the UM administration do when the Ferris players strike a match to their victory cigars on the UM campus next fall?

PR, that was all included in the link provided. What do you mean “you didn’t have that background”? Read before typing and save us all some time.

EverettGriz said:
PR, that was all included in the link provided. What do you mean “you didn’t have that background”? Read before typing and save us all some time.

Nope. I've turned over a new leaf. Just to going to say what I want without looking or researching. I want to be like the rest of the posters.

GRIZ PHAN said:
UM is a tobacco free campus. What should the UM administration do when the Ferris players strike a match to their victory cigars on the UM campus next fall?

Everyone caught smoking on the UM campus, should be banned from campus. And, season ticket holders should lose their tickets. And janitors should be fired.

Back