• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Runner up banner

uptopgriz said:
Will the cats hang a runner up banner if K State wins the national championship

I'm sure the Bobs would agree, they did not play their best against KState. They shot under 30% from deep, missed layups, committed turnovers. Belo had one of the worst games of his career--5 points and two rebounds--and missed a bunny late that was a momentum killer. And this after they had to travel to Greensboro, North Carolina, for God's sake.

I for one decided to watch the game until it was a blowout--and wound up watching the entire game. The Bobcats were never really out of it. If you go back and read the AP report of the game it reads, Kansas State "held off" Montana State. This against a team that could go to the Final Four--or win it all.

I believe this is testimony to two things: The parity that exists today in college basketball, especially now that we've seen so many upsets; but also the quality of the program Sprinkle has built in Bozeman. We can sit here and take cheap shots at the Cats but they sound kind of tinny after two straight Big Sky championships and an excellent performance in the NCAA tournament against a team that is proving how good it is--maybe the best in the country.

citay said:
uptopgriz said:

I'm sure the Bobs would agree, they did not play their best against KState. They shot under 30% from deep, missed layups, committed turnovers. Belo had one of the worst games of his career--5 points and two rebounds--and missed a bunny late that was a momentum killer. And this after they had to travel to Greensboro, North Carolina, for God's sake.

I for one decided to watch the game until it was a blowout--and wound up watching the entire game. The Bobcats were never really out of it. If you go back and read the AP report of the game it reads, Kansas State "held off" Montana State. This against a team that could go to the Final Four--or win it all.

I believe this is testimony to two things: The parity that exists today in college basketball, especially now that we've seen so many upsets; but also the quality of the program Sprinkle has built in Bozeman. We can sit here and take cheap shots at the Cats but they sound kind of tinny after two straight Big Sky championships and an excellent performance in the NCAA tournament against a team that is proving how good it is--maybe the best in the country.
I don't think K State played hard for more than about 10 minutes the entire game against the cats.

rgrizfan said:
citay said:

I don't think K State played hard for more than about 10 minutes the entire game against the cats.

KS played hard the whole game. With some more makes, the Cats would have been right in it at the end. I'm okay if the Cats put up a runner up banner.

mthoopsfan said:
rgrizfan said:

KS played hard the whole game. With some more makes, the Cats would have been right in it at the end. I'm okay if the Cats put up a runner up banner.

Some more makes and K State would have won by 30. K State had 14 turnovers against the cats 13 in their next 2 games...hmmm.

citay said:
uptopgriz said:

K-State will go to the final four. But they haven’t played anyone, have 0 shot of winning it, and are beneficiaries of the weakest region by a large margin. They beat a 14-6-7 and now 9 to get here. The first time they play a legit contender, they will be exposed as the pretender they are unless Nowell can pull a 30,20 game out of his ass. Easy to give MSU credit looking at face value. With context, KSU was, and still is a weak 3 seed, as was Baylor. Bet the house against KSU taking it all.

Metrics I looked at pre-tourney had the following as pretenders:
KU
KSU
Marquette
Purdue
Baylor(terrible defensively-to an outlier extent along with GU)
Virginia

Jack of all trades teams were:
UCLA
Houston
Alabama
Texas

Teams that had mixed results:
UCONN
GU
Tennessee
Arkansas
Creighton
AZ

The East was the weakest region from the start. KSU is the only of the teams littered with red flags still alive. They can thank Nowell. One of Houston-Bama-Texas will likely take it.
Being unranked preseason is one of the very strong predictors for higher seeded teams that will flame out in March.

UMFan12 said:
citay said:

K-State will go to the final four. But they haven’t played anyone, have 0 shot of winning it, and are beneficiaries of the weakest region by a large margin. They beat a 14-6-7 and now 9 to get here. The first time they play a legit contender, they will be exposed as the pretender they are unless Nowell can pull a 30,20 game out of his ass. Easy to give MSU credit looking at face value. With context, KSU was, and still is a weak 3 seed, as was Baylor. Bet the house against KSU taking it all.

KU
KSU
Marquette
Purdue
Virginia

UCLA
Houston
Alabama
Texas

UCONN
GU
Tennessee
Arkansas
Creighton
AZ

The East was the weakest region from the start. KSU is the only of the teams littered with red flags still alive. They can thank Nowell. One of Houston-Bama-Texas will likely take it.
Being unranked preseason is one of the very strong predictors for higher seeded teams that will flame out in March.

Well, Bama and Houston are both gone, so I guess you are counting on Texas. They could win it all....

rgrizfan said:
mthoopsfan said:

Some more makes and K State would have won by 30. K State had 14 turnovers against the cats 13 in their next 2 games...hmmm.

KS shot 58% from the field against MSU, 12% over its current season average.

Had KS shot its season average against the Cats, it would have made only 25 buckets. It made 32 buckets. So, 7 less, i.e. 14 points. All things being the same, the Cats would have won by 2.

To win by 30, KS would have had to make 9 more baskets. That would have been 75% shooting percentage.

The Cats shot 46%. The Cats shot 47% for the season.

Your 30 point win thing is totally far-fetched. KS already shot very well in the game. 58%. Shooting 75% is absurd. The Cats had good looks that didn't go down. The biggest reason for the Cats not being closer was the lack of making the open looks. Including Belo's lay-in bunny later in the game. When he missed his bunny, the Cats were down by 8 with 5 minutes to go in the game.

You can say all the BS you want, but the fact is that the Cats hung with KS fairly well.

'68griz said:
UMFan12 said:

KU
KSU
Marquette
Purdue
Virginia

UCLA
Houston
Alabama
Texas

UCONN
GU
Tennessee
Arkansas
Creighton
AZ

Well, Bama and Houston are both gone, so I guess you are counting on Texas. They could win it all....
No amount of stats and trends can predict this from the best player in the country.
https://twitter.com/JimMWeber/status/1639449853469048835?s=20

That being said, Texas becomes the favorite even without Disu. K State is now the 4th best team behind Texas, UCONN, and GU. Whoever comes out of the right side of the bracket will be favored to win it. And the Disu injury levels the playing field a little between Texas-GU/UCONN.

Just like that they’re gone. Shot 45% for 3 and only turned it over 12 times. Two things they struggle with. Out-rebounded by 22 by a mid major. Betting on an average shooting team that has a turnover prone lead guard to win it all was just never going to happen. Just surprising that wasn’t the reason they lost

Back