• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Go Cats!

citygriz

For most all you too consumed with your hatred of the Cats to think rationally, this ain't for you.

But for those few of us who believe our program is best served when the entire Big Sky conference is treated with more respect nationally, tonight's Cats game is a huge opportunity for all of us. A rising tide lifts all boats, not to mention the money that goes with each win in the tourney, or the prestige it confers on the conference. So:

--The game is on CBS, not buried on one of the cable networks. (Have you ever tried to find Tru TV where Boise was buried last night?)
--The Cats earned a 14 seed. Since the mid-80's, the number 14 seed has won 22 times, versus a combined 13 for the 15 and 16 seeds. This will not be our Griz up against UNLV back in the Larry Johnson days. The Cats have a shot.
--The Cats were there last year. Experience is life's greatest teacher.
--While we keenly feel the rivalry between the two schools, the rest of the country could care less. All they'll see is "Montana" in the tournament. So the Cats carry the banner for the entire state, including us.
--Lower seeds, especially the ones who got in via an upset in their conference tournament, generally bring one or two glaring weaknesses into the tournament. Not so the Cats. Sprinkle has put together a team with decent size, solid defense, sound guard play and one player in Battle who has the potential to be a break-out star.

So my view is, put the rivalry aside. Understand what's at stake for the entire conference. And don't forget one of life's greatest truths: Hatred will eat you up.

And don’t forget that the Bobs are 25-9 whereas K State is 23-9. If you do the math, the Bobs have won two more games than the Wilds. To me, that’s huge. It shows that they have more experience winning games. I predict a double digit win for the Cats.

I accept, but do not pursue, the over-done hatred of the Cats by many on here. As you say, in this case they represent both Montana and the Big Sky. They will hopefully do well and perhaps impress some viewers from outside the region.

Actually, with the proper attitude, you can treat this as a win-win. If the kitties do well, you can be glad that they're representing Montana and the Big Sky in a positive way. If they do poorly – like, getting blown out – you can allow your hatred to come out in full flower.

Sorry citay, I appreciate where your coming from and maybe if it was some other BSC program, but not the scats. For one thing, eGriz would be overloaded with scat trolls coming over here talking s h i t and there’s already too much of that going on. I’m looking forward to an 87-55 beat down.

This is a game that MSU should be competitive in at least by the numbers. MSU does a lot of things that leads to underdogs to win in March. They play good defense, get to the free-throw line and rebound well. This is as good of a matchup that MSU could have hoped for at least stylistically.

Yet, my gut says that this is going to be a tough wing/perimeter match up for MSU. Johnson is a Dillon Jones type player but only better. MSU struggled with Jones a bit, and I could see that happening here. For me though it is Nowell who was a B12 1st team guy that poses a real issue on both ends. He's not big (5'8'') but he's literally everywhere on the floor.

If this game is played in the high 50's or low 60's, it is game that MSU can win. MSU doesn't score well enough to get into a mid-70's pace game. Plus if this is officiated where teams are allowed to play like a number of the games were yesterday, I wonder how MSU makes up the points if they aren't getting to the FT line. If this game trends to the averages, MSU shouldn't get blown out and they should have a real chance to win the game.

alabamagrizzly said:
Sorry citay, I appreciate where your coming from and maybe if it was some other BSC program, but not the scats. For one thing, eGriz would be overloaded with scat trolls coming over here talking s h i t and there’s already too much of that going on. I’m looking forward to an 87-55 beat down.
Well, despite my effort to put on a good spin, I'm expecting a beat down ... and can enjoy that. K-State is currently ranked #15 in the AP poll. Unless the Wildcats completely overlook MSU – which definitely can happen – the best that might happen is that the kitties might stay close until the half. Then, after the coach blisters the paint off the walls at halftime, K-State come out and shows their superior talent. Yes, crazier upsets do happen ... but I sure do not see it in this case.

citay said:
For most all you too consumed with your hatred of the Cats to think rationally, this ain't for you.

But for those few of us who believe our program is best served when the entire Big Sky conference is treated with more respect nationally, tonight's Cats game is a huge opportunity for all of us. A rising tide lifts all boats, not to mention the money that goes with each win in the tourney, or the prestige it confers on the conference. So:

--The game is on CBS, not buried on one of the cable networks. (Have you ever tried to find Tru TV where Boise was buried last night?)
--The Cats earned a 14 seed. Since the mid-80's, the number 14 seed has won 22 times, versus a combined 13 for the 15 and 16 seeds. This will not be our Griz up against UNLV back in the Larry Johnson days. The Cats have a shot.
--While we keenly feel the rivalry between the two schools, the rest of the country could care less. All they'll see is "Montana" in the tournament. So the Cats carry the banner for the entire state, including us.
--Lower seeds, especially the ones who got in via an upset in their conference tournament, generally bring one or two glaring weaknesses into the tournament. Not so the Cats. Sprinkle has put together a team with decent size, solid defense, sound guard play and one player in Battle who has the potential to be a break-out star.

So my view is, put the rivalry aside. Understand what's at stake for the entire conference. And don't forget one of life's greatest truths: Hatred will eat you up.

They're going to get crushed.

I won’t be upset if they win but I won’t root for that.

However, I sure hope the UM marketing team starts hammering commercials when the cats play like they did a Decade or so ago so everyone gets the cats success confused with UM like happened to us back then.

citay said:

I’m with you, citay. Good post.

citay said:

“No glaring weakness” is just factually untrue. Last in the Sky in 3 point makes on just 33.8%. If they can’t get to the line or don’t shoot well, they absolutely will struggle to score.

UMFan12 said:
citay said:

“No glaring weakness” is just factually untrue. Last in the Sky in 3 point makes on just 33.8%. If they can’t get to the line or don’t shoot well, they absolutely will struggle to score.

Good point. Northern Kentucky had a legit shot at taking down Houston last night but clanked three and three after three. Lower seeds need to hit those three point shots. They can be the equalizer, the difference makers.

UMFan12 said:
citay said:

The Big Sky stats list MSU at 8th, not last.

Yes, 33.8 for season. UM's 37.2. A 3.4% difference. If MSU shot 3's like UM did, MSU would have made 2/3 more 3's game.

MSU shot 47% from the field, slightly ahead of UM.

I believe KS shot 45 and 34.

mthoopsfan said:
UMFan12 said:

Yes, 33.8 for season. UM's 37.2. A 3.4% difference. If MSU shot 3's like UM did, MSU would have made 2/3 more 3's game.

Last in 3PM at 210, like I said. K-State played a Big 12 schedule. 3.4% on higher volume is a big difference.

citay said:

Eh, I don't hate the Cats. Do I want them to represent the state well? Yes. Do want them to not embarrass themselves? Also yes. Am I rooting for them? No. Do I want them to win? Also, no. :coffee:

K-State has been turnover prone so let’s see if MSU can put pressure on them. I hope the Cats do well as their performance will carry over for the conference next year.

UMFan12 said:
mthoopsfan said:

Last in 3PM at 210, like I said. K-State played a Big 12 schedule. 3.4% on higher volume is a big difference.

But not last in percentage shooting 3's. A more important stat.

KS made 228 3's.

mthoopsfan said:
UMFan12 said:

KS made 228 3's.
Them and one other are at .338. Last place is .337. Negligible difference. If you’re worse, or even at shooting 3s as a high major that’s going to be better at everything else. You’re not going to win. The 3 is the equalizer. If they don’t hit and aren’t getting to the line, they won’t win and it will get ugly.

I don't think MSU has to play out of their minds, but they do have to play better than they did for large chunks of the BSC tournament. They showed, like SDSU/UVa, in the BSC tournament they really struggle scoring when they can't get to the line.

For a team that needs to get to the line to score, averages about 18 ppg, that is a scary scenario for teams like that in the NCAA tournament. A QUARTER of their season average in points came from the line. I'm just not confident against a power 5 conference opponent they are going to get the type of whistles they got in the BSC. They shot more than 25 free throws in roughly half of their conference games. When they didn't, they lost most or if not all of their games. In yesterday's games, 1 game (Ark/Ill) made it to 25 FT's. Today there are 3.

I want them to be competitive, but we have had more games (close to 10) with both teams shooting less than 10 ft's a game so far in the tournament. Just don't like the odds. They are going to let the teams play, fewer whistles, that helps MSU defensively but it hurts them offensively. That just isn't a good scenario for them. They'd have to show something they haven't all year. In 7 of their 9 losses, they didn't get to the average, and when they didn't they were nearly 10 points less in their games.

I really think KSU will get near their season averages in points because they'll have an easier time doing so, and if they do it is going to be a 10 or 15 point KSU win.

This game has to be in the 50's or low 60's for MSU to have a chance.

UMFan12 said:
mthoopsfan said:

KS made 228 3's.
Them and one other are at .338. Last place is .337. Negligible difference. If you’re worse, or even at shooting 3s as a high major that’s going to be better at everything else. You’re not going to win. The 3 is the equalizer. If they don’t hit and aren’t getting to the line, they won’t win and it will get ugly.

I completely agree and have thought so for years. Often, the only way to win as a low-major in the tournament is to rain threes. Sometimes, it only has to be one guy who goes off. The other team has better guards, wings, posts, and a deeper bench. If your game is feeding it inside and getting to the line against BSC-level competition, it will usually be a long night. I don't see them having a shot unless they come in with a different gameplan. But we will see. I'll be at a hockey game, so unable to really watch on my phone.

citay said:

Well ok, how about if they lose a close one ? Say by 10-15.
Would they root for us ? Didn't think so.

Back