• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sophia Bound For the NCAA Tourney

70Griz

DONOR
Our former Griz great Sophia Stiles and her FGCU Eagles are automatic qualifiers for the tournament by winning the ASUN conference championship. They are a #12 seed and will face off with the #5 seed Washington State this Saturday. The Eagles finished the season at 32-3. Sophia started 33 of the 35 games and averaged 7.4 points and 25 minutes per game. Nice way for her to finish her career. For some reason she did not play in the championship game last Saturday. Maybe sickness or injury. Best of luck to her in the tourney.

70Griz said:
Our former Griz great Sophia Stiles and her FGCU Eagles are automatic qualifiers for the tournament by winning the ASUN conference championship. They are a #12 seed and will face off with the #5 seed Washington State this Saturday. The Eagles finished the season at 32-3. Sophia started 33 of the 35 games and averaged 7.4 points and 25 minutes per game. Nice way for her to finish her career. For some reason she did not play in the championship game last Saturday. Maybe sickness or injury. Best of luck to her in the tourney.

She was injured in the semifinal game and played only 9 minutes. Didn't play in the final game, as you said. I posted a blurb on this in the Stiles thread. I couldn't figure out what the injury was.

Sophie was injured in a previous game. Not sure the extent of her injuries. Hope she gets a chance to play in the NCAA tournament. Looking at the score from the ASUN conference regular season the Eagles were a high scoring machine. One of their losses was to Stanford, the number one seed.

Sport said:
Sophie was injured in a previous game. Not sure the extent of her injuries. Hope she gets a chance to play in the NCAA tournament. Looking at the score from the ASUN conference regular season the Eagles were a high scoring machine. One of their losses was to Stanford, the number one seed.

FGCU averages over 78 points per game where the league average is in the mid 60s. They have an excellent history in the NCAA tournament. Last year as a 12 seed, they beat the No 5 (Va Tech). In 2018, again as the 12 seed, they beat 5 seed Missouri. Their overall record in the tournament since 2012 is 3-8, with 2 of those losses coming in O.T. to No 5 seeds.

FGCU has their own version of Robin Selvig. Karl Semsko, in his 21st season, sports a record of 465–89 (.839), with a record in conference of 183–17 (.915). Since moving to Division I in 2007, they have never failed to win fewer than 22 games, and have won at least 30 games 6 times.

Certainly hope Sophia is able to play.

Let’s hope no more than a mild concussion. It would be a shame if she didn’t get to play in the tournament.

Broken cheek bone. Started. Her team beat WSU. 4 points and 4 steals in only 17 minutes. Her team has a huge 3d quarter, and Stiles had a big 3d q. See the play by play.

https://fgcuathletics.com/news/2023/3/18/womens-basketball-still-dancing-no-22-fgcu-downs-washington-state-advances-to-ncaa-tournament-second-round.aspx

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/malta-native-sophia-stiles-helps-lift-florida-gulf-coast-to-win-over-wazzu-in-ncaa/article_072a4102-1757-5470-ad90-ea115efea7d3.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Her team lost to no. 10 Villanova. 76-57. She played 25 minutes. Only 2 points, 2 assists, 1 rebound, and 1 block. She and her team had a great run this season. She was a big talent.

mthoopsfan said:
Her team lost to no. 10 Villanova. 76-57. She played 25 minutes. Only 2 points, 2 assists, 1 rebound, and 1 block. She and her team had a great run this season. She was a big talent.

A great player, but really, I thought underperformed while with us, and appears her new team. 2020 hindsight, I wonder if our two stellar frosh Konig and Stump would have got the floor time had Sophia stayed on board. Both of our frosh, especially Konig outperformed Sophia comparatively.

MTbest said:
mthoopsfan said:

A great player, but really, I thought underperformed while with us, and appears her new team. 2020 hindsight, I wonder if our two stellar frosh Konig and Stump would have got the floor time had Sophia stayed on board. Both of our frosh, especially Konig outperformed Sophia comparatively.

Stiles was many times better than the 2 of them put together. She performed very well this season too. She was 4th on her team in scoring, shot 47%, and was second in rebounds. Her last 2 games, she had a broken cheek bone and mask.

Her team was 33-4 and won the first round in the ncaa playoffs.

mthoopsfan said:
MTbest said:

Stiles was many times better than the 2 of them put together. She performed very well this season too. She was 4th on her team in scoring, shot 47%, and was second in rebounds. Her last 2 games, she had a broken cheek bone and mask.

Stiles Freshman Stats:
22 games 55 of 122 for 45.1% overall, 10 of 35 for 28.6% 3 pt, 44 of 64 for 68.8% ft, 37 assists/45 TO - .82 ass/to ratio.

Konig
30 games 93 of 247 for 37.7% overall, 38 of 105 for 36.2% 3pt, 40 of 47 for 85.1% ft, 80 assists/69 TO - 1.16 Ass/to ratio.

Stump
30 games 118 of 278 for 42.4% overall, 35 of 108 for 32.4% 3pt, 28 of 39 for 71.8% ft, 41 assists/21 TO - 1.95 Ass/TO ratio.

I'll let you all decide which ones many times better. Of Course, Stiles only played 22 games because she tore her ACL her true freshman season. Stump certainly has the best assist/to ratio but both Stiles and Konig handled the ball far more than Stump did. Konig is the better 3 point shooter and freethrow shooter. Stiles shot the ball better over all. Stiles finished her shot better than Konig which is why Stiles had a better overall Shooting percentage.

TrueGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

Stiles Freshman Stats:
22 games 55 of 122 for 45.1% overall, 10 of 35 for 28.6% 3 pt, 44 of 64 for 68.8% ft, 37 assists/45 TO - .82 ass/to ratio.

Konig
30 games 93 of 247 for 37.7% overall, 38 of 105 for 36.2% 3pt, 40 of 47 for 85.1% ft, 80 assists/69 TO - 1.16 Ass/to ratio.

Stump
30 games 118 of 278 for 42.4% overall, 35 of 108 for 32.4% 3pt, 28 of 39 for 71.8% ft, 41 assists/21 TO - 1.95 Ass/TO ratio.

I'll let you all decide which ones many times better. Of Course, Stiles only played 22 games because she tore her ACL her true freshman season. Stump certainly has the best assist/to ratio but both Stiles and Konig handled the ball far more than Stump did. Konig is the better 3 point shooter and freethrow shooter. Stiles shot the ball better over all. Stiles finished her shot better than Konig which is why Stiles had a better overall Shooting percentage.

I've already decided. Stiles is better and more athletic. More versatile.

Back