• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

More Corruption in College Sports

mthoopsfan

The star Alabama frosh player, Miller, should be booted from the team immediately. His friend asks him to bring the friend's gun to him, he brings the gun, and the gun is used to kill someone in a car. Other Bama players were there too.

"Alabama star freshman Brandon Miller brought gun used in fatal shooting to Darius Miles, per police testimony
Tide coach Nate Oats said Miller, who hasn't been charged with any crime, 'hasn't been in any type of trouble nor is he in any type of trouble in this case'"

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/alabama-star-freshman-brandon-miller-brought-gun-used-in-fatal-shooting-to-darius-miles-per-police-testimony/

Not to defend the kid but it sounds like there’s more to this then the headline. The gun belonged to the shooter. For unknown reasons the other kid had it in his possession and when the shooter asked for it, he returned it. We don’t know why he had it or that if he knew what the shooter’s intentions were.

Big time school, big time player. "Miller was not charged with a crime, and Tuscaloosa Chief Deputy District Attorney Paula Whitley told AL.com on Tuesday that "there's nothing we could charge [Miller] with."
Huh! Now, you have to be CHARGED with something before the school/NCAA suspends him. Seems like everyone else, especially from a little school like UM, would get his life put on hold until "proven innocent." Double standard when you are on the radar of NBA scouts.

mthoopsfan said:
Contrast this treatment to what Crews got and did.

Challenge accepted: We will do this eGriz game preview style.

Action:
Miller - from Miller's perspective he was returning a teammates firearm to him upon request (at least that is what the article suggested)
Crews - made a social media post that included culturally insensitive language.
A point for Miller as his actions, separate from the rest of the incident, were benign

Intention:
Miller - returned a borrowed item
Crews - deliberately made the comment on the internet for the whole world to see
Point for Miller

Awareness of possible negative results:
Miller - had to understand the danger of a firearm & that it was possible to be used for physical harm. However, the possession of firearm, by itself, is not necessarily an indication of bad intent.
Crews - Probably was naive to the resulting firestorm of a few words could create, but a high school senior should understand that he would offend many people with his word choice.
I'll give this one to Miller

Result of insistent:
Miller - shooting death
Crews - people's feelings got hurt
Clear distinction in severity - one point for Crews

Timing:
Miller -
Crews - could not have picked a worst time in life to make this mistake. Applying to a D1 program is full of scrutiny, where every team is trying to pick through social media to weed out the bad seeds.
Point for Miller

Legal consequences:
Miller - none, as he was not charged. But the potential was/is there with a change in interpretation.
Crews - none, spoken words, including ugly words, are generally not illegal due to the 1st amendment.
toss up

Social consequences:
Miller - the deaths so close to his circle of friends and family has to have had a significant effect. Added to that the comments on social media (kind or otherwise) must weigh on him.
Crews - Lambasted online & possibly in person. Had his preferred football team reject him over the issue.
Both of these consequences are heavy. Toss up.

Potential $$$ consequences:
Crews - retained his scholarship (presumably.) It's unclear if the incident will affect his draftablity, but it certainly won't help.
Miller - lost the opportunity for a scholarship, but is going to get to play D1 football
I am going to give this point to Crews as he definitely has received less than was anticipated prior to the event.

Score:
Four points for Miller
vs
Two points for Crews
Two are toss ups

Summary:
Miller was peripherally involved in a horrible, violent event. According to info in the referenced article, Miller had no intention or little possibility of prior knowledge of the events that would unfold.
Crews had the intention of saying unkind words publicly. They were just words, but are words with a long history of evil acts associated with them. The football team simply had no obligation to accept Crews into the fold, thus the consequence were not so much as imposed as merely the result.

For what it’s worth this isn’t on anyone but Alabama where the Tide takes precedence over everything including God and Country. If this kid played for Auburn, he’d be in the clink right along side his buddy. Roll Tide!

I have some questions. Like why does a dude that's "never touched a gun" holding into a gun that belongs to someone else. I'm not saying people don't borrow guns. But the coach said he's never touched a gun. Also how does that go down? "Dude I need my gun." What do you think the guy is going to do with the gun.
His car had bullets holes in the windshield. You're a potentially lottery pick. You're in an explosive situation and you know your teammate has a gun. Get out of there.

My thoughts are that college kids shouldn't be running around town with handguns. Maybe I am just old and out of touch, but I can honestly not recall any college student I knew who packed heat when partying downtown. Seems like it is normal now to have a hand gun on you while in college.
Fights at the Stocks used to involve fists. Now they might escalate into a shooting. Wasn't a former Griz player driving around downtown Missoula brandishing a hand gun? Seems like I remember something like that. Is this the new norm?

This whole scenario just doesn't add up at all. I may have just missed it, but what time of which day did this happen? Praphrasing from various sources: '...he never touched the gun.' How'd he know it was a gun, not just a blanket that was highly thought of by the eventual shooter? The shooter said, again paraphrasing: '...get me my gun.' What gun, dude? I got your blankey, Linus van Pelt. So, he makes a bee line to the shooter(Linus) to get him his blankey, gun, or whateverinthehell it was he was holding(hiding)for this shooter, Linus. I don't think Miller is stupid. But, there's more. " Miller, the presumptive SEC Player of the Year and Alabama’s leading scorer, allegedly brought the gun to Miles and "blocked the victims car from leaving the scene.". One of Alabama’s other freshman standouts, Jaden Bradley, allegedly blocked the victim’s car in a similar manner."(https://www.bestofarkansassports.com/arkansas-basketball-lawyer-on-brandon-miller-case/). Miller is no choir boy. He's dirty as the rest of them.

mthoopsfan said:

Imagine if BH would have been forthright and not tried sneaking him in to the U. Crews would be playing for the Griz next year. Crews not playing at UM is all BH.

uptopgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

Imagine if BH would have been forthright and not tried sneaking him in to the U. Crews would be playing for the Griz next year. Crews not playing at UM is all BH.

Imagine if Crews would have never posted a racist post. He’d be playing for the Griz right now.

"Bama, I know you have posted in the past that Alabama(the school) is all about winning, above all else. What is your?
take on this Miller thing and how UA has handled it all?
I see a slow walk, through March Madness and their attempt to get a NC, let Miller declare for the NBA draft. Then, ignore it all, and let it all blow over. Hmm...the last part sounds familiar, kinda similar to how UM is handling the Crews affair. :twocents:

Miller didn’t return gun. He got text around 1:40am to bring the gun. 911 calls came at 1:45am. Miller was there and somewhat involved. Alabama corruption.

“ In a preliminary hearing for capital murder charges against Darius Miles and Michael "Buzz" Davis, the defense argued they were acting out of self defense and pushed for bonds to be set.Miles and Davis were charged with capital murder after a shooting on Jan. 15 led to the death of Jamea Jonae Harris. On Jan. 15, police were dispatched to the Walk of Champions at Bryant Denny Stadium at 1:45 a.m. on a shooting. Davis is accused of shooting Harris, and Miles has admitted to owning the weapon used. In a hearing Tuesday morning, Tuscaloosa Police investigator Brandon Culpepper testified that Miles texted Tide freshman basketball player Brandon Miller, asking him to bring the gun. Culpepper said Miles then told Davis where the gun was in Miller's car. Another freshman player, Jaden Bradley, was also allegedly at the scene.According to Culpepper's testimony, the first known interaction between parties involved happened off of University Boulevard after they left a sports bar on the Strip, Twelve 25.Miller dropped Miles off at the club but didn't go inside because "the line was too long". There is no known interaction between Harris and the suspects inside the bar.In surveillance video played in court, Harris could be seen leaving the bar with her cousin, Asia Humphrey, and boyfriend, Cedric Johnson, to get food from the nearby Quick Grill. They took the food to a black Jeep where they sat at the intersection of University Boulevard and Grace Street for an extended period. Miles, Davis, and Bradley could be then seen approaching the vehicle, Davis stopping to dance in front of the Jeep. After a brief interaction which Investigator Culpepper described as "elevated," Davis allegedly told Johnson, "We don't want your girl." Miles claims he saw a gun passed to Johnson inside the car. After the encounter, the suspects walked to a nearby parking lot right before 1:40 a.m. Around the same time according to text messages shown in court, Miles texted Miller, "I need my joint a n****r rl jus got fakin". Surveillance footage then showed the black Jeep meeting with another car before nearing the parking lot where the suspects were and turning off its lights. Davis allegedly approached the driver side of the black Jeep with Johnson in the front seat and said, “I told you I was gonna get you,” before shots were fired. Investigators believe Davis shot the first bullet before shots were fired back and forth. Harris was shot in the left side of her face. Davis suffered a shot in his right shoulder and wore a sling in court. Investigator Culpepper said at least four calls were made to 9-1-1, but Miles was the first person to call. He allegedly first told police that he didn’t know how his friend was shot. During a police search of an apartment shared by multiple Alabama basketball players, a gun was found in Jaden Quinerly’s bedroom along with a hoody Davis appeared to be wearing the night of the shooting.”

3-7-77 said:
"Bama, I know you have posted in the past that Alabama(the school) is all about winning, above all else. What is your?
take on this Miller thing and how UA has handled it all?
I see a slow walk, through March Madness and their attempt to get a NC, let Miller declare for the NBA draft. Then, ignore it all, and let it all blow over. Hmm...the last part sounds familiar, kinda similar to how UM is handling the Crews affair. :twocents:

So to answer your question, I did that about 7 posts above this one😁. In short, the Tide is above God and Country in Alabama. If this kid played for Auburn, he’d be charged as an accessory.

"Around the same time according to text messages shown in court, Miles texted Miller, "I need my joint a n****r rl jus got fakin"." That right there is enough to warrant(no pun intended)Miles losing his scholarship, like Crews did. Being charged in this case has obviously negated the need for that. Obviously racist use of the word n****r.

All fun aside, everyone knew the gun was in Miller's car, and he delivered it, blocked the egress of the victims, knowing there would be trouble. This cover up is BS. NCAA needs to death penalty the program for its cover up arrogance. The
incompetence/corruption of the Tuscaloosa Police Dept. is a stain on the whole state. State and Federal Law Enforcement oversight needs to be done NOW. While I appreciate the quality of the Bama Football program, this basketball fiasco has soured me on anything related to Alabama.......alabamagriz excluded, of course. :thumb:

Did a little more surfing on the issue. Sheds more light on the 'choir boy.'

"Oats praised Miller after the win, calling him “one of the most mental(ly) tough kids I’ve ever coached.” Asked about Miller’s focus, Oats told reporters, “Basketball kind of becomes a safe haven a little bit for some of these guys. They get on the floor and they kind of lock in on what they've done their whole lives and get some of the outside stuff out of their mind."" https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2023/02/24/alabama-basketball-brandon-miller-murder-what-we-know/11334563002/

Back