• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

1 and Done

behappp

DONOR
With Vidlak and Abbott on board, if we had a chance at a 1 and done Lucas Johnson quality QB, should we use a Scholly on him?
This is a hypothetical but not an improbable situation.
Would you risk losing Abbott next year? Or should we develop 2 qbs we know we should have for 3 years?
With the Griz, the future is always now. Maybe a drop down OL or dB would be better and hope that we have a playoff caliber QB already.

Discuss...

behappp said:
With Vidlak and Abbott on board, if we had a chance at a 1 and done Lucas Johnson quality QB, should we use a Scholly on him?
Would you risk losing Abbott next year? Or should we develop 2 qbs we know we should have for 3 years?
With the Griz, the future is always now. Maybe a drop down OL or dB would be better and hope that we have a playoff caliber QB already.

Discuss...

Neither of those qbs have taking a meaningful snap in a college game but you go with that.

behappp said:

Discuss...
Yes, we still need another QB, and I'm not sure why we'd consider not doing that because we still have our 4th/5th string QB on the roster.

uptopgriz said:
behappp said:

Discuss...

Neither of those qbs have taking a meaningful snap in a college game but you go with that.

Every player ever has had their first meaningful snap... that doesn't mean shit. You'll find out when they do. And I have faith in both of those QBs and can see us going further than we did last year. I feel a lot better about this QB room than I have in a long time.

I thought you were gonna bounce, Rosey?

Griz Addict said:
uptopgriz said:

Every player ever has had their first meaningful snap... that doesn't mean poop. You'll find out when they do. And I have faith in both of those QBs and can see us going further than we did last year. I feel a lot better about this QB room than I have in a long time.

The kid at Idaho had not taken a meaningful snap to start the season either. Having two reliable QBs for 3 years is an ideal situation for us.

kemajic said:
Griz Addict said:
Every player ever has had their first meaningful snap... that doesn't mean poop. You'll find out when they do. And I have faith in both of those QBs and can see us going further than we did last year. I feel a lot better about this QB room than I have in a long time.

The kid at Idaho had not taken a meaningful snap to start the season either. Having two reliable QBs for 3 years is an ideal situation for us.
Are you referring to McCoy? He actually started 2 games in 2021 (against us and EWU) and looked pretty terrible, but it goes to show that some guys can make big improvements from one year to the next.

uofmman1122 said:
kemajic said:
Are you referring to McCoy? He actually started 2 games in 2021 (against us and EWU) and looked pretty terrible, but it goes to show that some guys can make big improvements from one year to the next.
Thanks; I knew he didn't burn a redshirt prior to last year. In '21, 15/32, 205 yards, 1 td, 4 ints. Lost EWU by 50 and UM by 20, so don't know how meaningful those snaps were.

kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:
Thanks; I knew he didn't burn a redshirt prior to last year. In '21, 15/32, 205 yards, 1 td, 4 ints. Lost EWU by 50 and UM by 20, so don't know how meaningful those snaps were.

They were probably meaningful to the teams involved in the games he started.

behappp said:

Discuss...

Personally I have zero problem with the QB room as it sits. I’d rather add another couple OL, another DL and another DB or two.

I also think we’re better set up for a traditional 4-3 defense with the size of our DL and DE’s. An embarrassment of riches at the DE spot (McGourin, Detrick, Edwards, Kashmitter, Hustedt, Harris, Nuce) but not sure we have enough beef for TWO DT’s on the field at the same time. (And yes, I know a couple of those guys are listed as DL on the roster).

My needs list in order

1. Offensives Lineman
2. Cornerback
3. Defensive Tackle
4. Offensive Lineman
5. Cornerback
6. Defensive Tackle
7. Sr QB w/ at least a year of real game experience
8. Any other position that’s a stud athlete, only after 1-7 have been filled

alabamagrizzly said:
My needs list in order

1. Offensives Lineman
2. Cornerback
3. Defensive Tackle
4. Offensive Lineman
5. Cornerback
6. Defensive Tackle
7. Sr QB w/ at least a year of real game experience
8. Any other position that’s a stud athlete, only after 1-7 have been filled

Good list. I would take 1,3,4. and 6 and move them to 1,2,3 and 4. Get rid of 7. QB is not a problem, especially if they use both of them and get the 3,4 and 5th QB’s a lot of practice reps. #5 and #6 should be CB, DE in my opinion, which means squat. 7 another CB and 8 agree should be an athlete.

Your hypothtical backstory is missing.

Vidlak is here because Abbott, Huot, et.al, aren't ready to take the reins. At this point, no one has any idea if they ever will be. Even if they were, minus Brown, (still on the roster) they're awfully young at the position. If the injury bug bites, or because, ineffective, or both, you're down to the third string guy - where have you seen that movie before?

Vidlak didn't come to compete, he's already been anointed as the guy. Just like Johnson and Sneed before him. So if you use this for the backstory, the answer to your question is yes, you do your best to find a backup. Perhaps a tall order given someone with those skills might actually expect a shot a playing. I'm not sure it's prudent to assume you can find another Cam Humphrey, a guy willing to wait his turn. Maybe, maybe not. How do you think Vidlak would have reacted if you'd have sprung Johnson on him in a week or two?

Rolling the dice on the season just like was done this past one, based on what's on the roster, will likely get you what you already got.

My question to you. How do you find an effective offense, something that can consistently get yards on the ground, ala NDSU, SDSU, Bozeman?

kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:

Would it proves is the difference a quality coach makes?

uptopgriz said:
kemajic said:

Would it proves is the difference a quality coach makes?

"Would it?" "Wood it?"

Bok_Choi said:

Vidlak is here because Abbott, Huot, et.al, aren't ready to take the reins. At this point, no one has any idea if they ever will be. Even if they were, minus Brown, (still on the roster) they're awfully young at the position. If the injury bug bites, or because, ineffective, or both, you're down to the third string guy - where have you seen that movie before?

Vidlak didn't come to compete, he's already been anointed as the guy. Just like Johnson and Sneed before him. So if you use this for the backstory, the answer to your question is yes, you do your best to find a backup. Perhaps a tall order given someone with those skills might actually expect a shot a playing. I'm not sure it's prudent to assume you can find another Cam Humphrey, a guy willing to wait his turn. Maybe, maybe not. How do you think Vidlak would have reacted if you'd have sprung Johnson on him in a week or two?

Rolling the dice on the season just like was done this past one, based on what's on the roster, will likely get you what you already got.

My question to you. How do you find an effective offense, something that can consistently get yards on the ground, ala NDSU, SDSU, Bozeman?

I agree Vidlak’s been handed the reins but I think it’s a little simpler, and more Hauck’s MO then you think. It’s not because the others aren’t ready, which they’re probably not, but Vidlak might not necessarily be ready either. Vidlak has been Hauck’s guy since he originally committed. Abbott was a good drop down the next year they originally might’ve needed if no body better came along. Huot was the best Montana QB and Bobby always wants to beat state out for the best Montana kids, just not necessarily to start. Vidlak will be the starter day 1 because he’s Hauck’s guy, just like Hauck had connections with LJ and DS before him. Heck, Vidlak might’ve been one of the first true Fr to be given an opportunity to start for Bobby at QB over Cam had he not changed his mind for OSU.

alabamagrizzly said:
Bok_Choi said:

I agree Vidlak’s been handed the reins but I think it’s a little simpler, and more Hauck’s MO then you think. It’s not because the others aren’t ready, which they’re probably not, but Vidlak might not necessarily be ready either. Vidlak has been Hauck’s guy since he originally committed. Abbott was a good drop down the next year they originally might’ve needed if no body better came along. Huot was the best Montana QB and Bobby always wants to beat state out for the best Montana kids, just not necessarily to start. Vidlak will be the starter day 1 because he’s Hauck’s guy, just like Hauck had connections with LJ and DS before him. Heck, Vidlak might’ve been one of the first true Fr to be given an opportunity to start for Bobby at QB over Cam had he not changed his mind for OSU.

Uh no. Vidlak was not handed the reins. There will be a QB battle for the starting job and whoever wins, wins. Bobby wants people to compete for spots. The previous qbs he has brought in were light years better than the guys alrdy on the roster. That's why they started. Just like every team in the country would have done. We don't know what kind of offense will be ran this year. Vidlak is a prostyle qb. Abbott is a dual threat so the spread would be beneficial to him. They could easily run a multiple off and share reps with Vidlak n Abbott.

Griz Addict said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Uh no. Vidlak was not handed the reins. There will be a QB battle for the starting job and whoever wins, wins. Bobby wants people to compete for spots. The previous qbs he has brought in were light years better than the guys alrdy on the roster. That's why they started. Just like every team in the country would have done. We don't know what kind of offense will be ran this year. Vidlak is a prostyle qb. Abbott is a dual threat so the spread would be beneficial to him. They could easily run a multiple off and share reps with Vidlak n Abbott.

That’s good “coach speak” right there. Straight outta Bobby’s playbook. Pretty sure he said there would be a QB battle between DS and CH also. LJ may be the only QB who was publicly handed the reins on day one. I do agree the Abbott might be a better fit for our O but I think it’s Vidlak’s job to lose.

Bok_Choi said:

I think if Johnson stayed healthy throughout the entire year our offense could compete with any of those teams you mentioned. After he got banged up, the level of his play fell through the floor. He could no longer get away from the pressure. He had a hard time throwing on the run. Felt like he was playing at 40%.

With that being said.. We need to have a solid backup that can run the offense just as good as the starter. We’ve had a hard time with that. Our offensive production took a nose dive after Johnson got injured. Too many 3 and outs. Play calling on offense became predictable. The defense was always on the field. They get gassed out, give up big play scores. Have to find a way to have a solid backup qb. Someone who can come in at anytime and still keep the offense rolling.

grizcountry420 said:
Bok_Choi said:

I think if Johnson stayed healthy throughout the entire year our offense could compete with any of those teams you mentioned. After he got banged up, the level of his play fell through the floor. He could no longer get away from the pressure. He had a hard time throwing on the run. Felt like he was playing at 40%.

With that being said.. We need to have a solid backup that can run the offense just as good as the starter. We’ve had a hard time with that. Our offensive production took a nose dive after Johnson got injured. Too many 3 and outs. Play calling on offense became predictable. The defense was always on the field. They get gassed out, give up big play scores. Have to find a way to have a solid backup qb. Someone who can come in at anytime and still keep the offense rolling.

Without the right guys on the O line, it doesn’t matter who the QB is. This years o line was better, but still need to go next level in 2023. The guys are there. They have been putting the time in the weight room. I think 2023’s running backs will have a field day.

Back