• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Your Sports Credentials?

Dillon

In reading the thread about Peyton I thought this might be a good time to spell it out!

Mine - I grew up (grade school years) in the small town of Harlowton. My first experience with football came when my Mom signed me up for the local Ford Punt Pass & Kick competition & won a full Vikings Uniform for being the hard luck Cowboy. When I punted the ball it went straight up and came down & hit me on the head.
I watched my future brother-in law win a State Class B Basketball Championship (in Harlo) under Coach Bob Petrino. I later Played for Coach Bob Petrino in the East West Shrine game for the West team. I then went to U of MT & played football for the Thumpers.
Was on the 880 relay team w/ Mr. Donovan that won state.
I ended up being a Sports Director at Malmstrom AFB.

What say you?

Dillon said:
In reading the thread about Peyton I thought this might be a good time to spell it out!

Mine - I grew up (grade school years) in the small town of Harlowton. My first experience with football came when my Mom signed me up for the local Ford Punt Pass & Kick competition & won a full Vikings Uniform for being the hard luck Cowboy. When I punted the ball it went straight up and came down & hit me on the head.
I watched my future brother-in law win a State Class B Basketball Championship (in Harlo) under Coach Bob Petrino. I later Played for Coach Bob Petrino in the East West Shrine game for the West team. I then went to U of MT & played football for the Thumpers.

What say you?

I played for coach Petrino at Carrol. Was he as intense in high school?

Played football for 1 year in 4th grade. Figured out it wasn't the sport for me when all the big kids that I was faster than on the play ground were just as fast and faster than me with pads on.

Ran Cross-Country and Track in high-school and was good enough to earn a Scholly at UM. Ran Cross-Country, Indoor, and Outdoor Track for the Griz. Did the 1500, Steeplechase (look it up if you don't know what it is), 5k and 10k.

Qualified for the Big Sky Conference Championship for Outdoor Track in the 10k and was the only true Freshman in the race. Ran well enough to earn some points for the team and lettered.

Now, I do 1mile fun runs with my wife and kid and attempt to be coordinated enough to play beer-league softball in the summer.

uptopgriz said:
Dillon said:

What say you?

Oh yea - The Dude did not like to lose! He demanded perfection from everyone & usually got it. As a friend (who I played High School football with) said to me after his playing years @ Carroll - I asked him if he still goes to Carroll games - all he said was he could not stand Petrino. You either Loved him or Hated him. No in between! He did recruit me during the Shrine game and I am glad I decided early not to play college ball. I did get a scholarship offer from CO State though among others!

Dillon said:
uptopgriz said:
Oh yea - The Dude did not like to lose! He demanded perfection from everyone & usually got it. As a friend (who I played High School football with) said to me after his playing years @ Carroll - I asked him if he still goes to Carroll games - all he said was he could not stand Petrino. You either Loved him or Hated him. No in between! He did recruit me during the Shrine game and I am glad I decided early not to play college ball. I did get a scholarship offer from CO State though among others!

He hated losing with a passion. And I agree with you, you loved him or hated him. I watched many players say I'm out of here.

Dillon said:
uptopgriz said:

Petrino recruited me out of high school, wanted me to play there but didn't want to offer me anything. Said I was already getting the best scholarship they could offer. My step father was a professor at Carroll so I got free tuition. I said you could offer room & board but he said NO. I wasn't going to beat my body up for nothing in return, so just went and got my degree and got out of there. Couldn't stand him anyways so i was more then happy to not play for him.

Started playing football in 5th grade Small Fry, All State my Senior year, played in the Class B All Star game and the Shrine game for the West side.

Also wrestled through out high school, that is one I wish my parents would of got me into when I was younger but back then there wasn't as many club options as there is now.

Another sport I wish that would of been around here back then was Lacrosse.

My team building successes have been in the business world but I am cousins with a former starter for UMass when they played in the Final Four. Derek went on to become head coach at UMass after his tutelage under Calipari. After coaching at Long Island he has returned as top assistant for the Minuteman.

ordigger said:
My team building successes have been in the business world but I am cousins with a former starter for UMass when they played in the Final Four. Derek went on to become head coach at UMass after his tutelage under Calipari. After coaching at Long Island he has returned as top assistant for the Minuteman.
Not to mention the best signature line on this site.
I can't help hear that quote in my head with Slims voice

Grew up playing baseball. Was a pretty good pitcher. Then, when my ass was 19 years old, I changed the face of professional baseball. I was handed the keys to the Kingdom. Multi-million dollar deals, endorsements, everyone wanted a piece of my shit. Just a man with a mind for victory and an arm like a fucking cannon. But sometimes, when you fly too close to the sun, you get burned. I ended up being a janitor at a prestigious college in the northeast even though I felt like I was smarter than the students there. I solved equations on the chalkboards at night. Ben Affleck told me I should leave, so I went to California to see about a girl.

I idolized Jerry Rice growing up and wanted to be a WR like him, but quit football after 8th grade because I was the smallest guy on the team. :lol:

Thankfully also played golf since I was 5, so got pretty good at that through high school until I moved to college and couldn't afford to keep playing it. I still get out every now and then, but my handicap has ballooned back into the double digits. Looking back, I wish I had picked up another sport in college like ultimate frisbee, or something similar.

CDAGRIZ said:
Grew up playing baseball. Was a pretty good pitcher. Then, when my ass was 19 years old, I changed the face of professional baseball. I was handed the keys to the Kingdom. Multi-million dollar deals, endorsements, everyone wanted a piece of my shit. Just a man with a mind for victory and an arm like a fucking cannon. But sometimes, when you fly too close to the sun, you get burned. I ended up being a janitor at a prestigious college in the northeast even though I felt like I was smarter than the students there. I solved equations on the chalkboards at night. Ben Affleck told me I should leave, so I went to California to see about a girl.

Damn you cda 😂😂😂

mtgrizzly said:
Dillon said:

Petrino recruited me out of high school, wanted me to play there but didn't want to offer me anything. Said I was already getting the best scholarship they could offer. My step father was a professor at Carroll so I got free tuition. I said you could offer room & board but he said NO. I wasn't going to beat my body up for nothing in return, so just went and got my degree and got out of there. Couldn't stand him anyways so i was more then happy to not play for him.

Started playing football in 5th grade Small Fry, All State my Senior year, played in the Class B All Star game and the Shrine game for the West side.

Also wrestled through out high school, that is one I wish my parents would of got me into when I was younger but back then there wasn't as many club options as there is now.

Did you play small fry in Helena?

uptopgriz said:
mtgrizzly said:

Did you play small fry in Helena?

Yes

uptopgriz said:
mtgrizzly said:

Helena has the best youth football program in the state.
It's wild how big a difference there at least used to be. I did one year of little griz in Missoula before moving to Billings and doing little guy there when I was a kid, and the difference in quality was pretty stark. I've heard it's not as bad now, but those programs formed the foundation of football development that reflected all the way up into the prep levels for a long time.

uofmman1122 said:
uptopgriz said:
It's wild how big a difference there at least used to be. I did one year of little griz in Missoula before moving to Billings and doing little guy there when I was a kid, and the difference in quality was pretty stark. I've heard it's not as bad now, but those programs formed the foundation of football development that reflected all the way up into the prep levels for a long time.

Little Griz has improved but its still lightyears behind small fry in Helena.

uofmman1122 said:
uptopgriz said:

I did one year of Little Grizzly and freshman ball and that was it.

CDAGRIZ said:
Grew up playing baseball. Was a pretty good pitcher. Then, when my ass was 19 years old, I changed the face of professional baseball. I was handed the keys to the Kingdom. Multi-million dollar deals, endorsements, everyone wanted a piece of my poop. Just a man with a mind for victory and an arm like a fudge cannon. But sometimes, when you fly too close to the sun, you get burned. I ended up being a janitor at a prestigious college in the northeast even though I felt like I was smarter than the students there. I solved equations on the chalkboards at night. Ben Affleck told me I should leave, so I went to California to see about a girl.

OMG. Are you and Kimmel still fueding or was that all just made up stuff?. I'll never forget 2017 at the Oscars. Wow. I can recall your exact lines. "You've got to be kidding me. Wait a minute. Hold on. What is with the music? Am I being played off? Seriously?

And you were presenting. I don't think that's ever happened before. Fucking Kimmel.

Latest posts

Back