• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Question For Payton

RoseyMustGo

I really appreciate all of the hard work and dedication that Payton puts-in regarding our football recruiting. Payton, you must really enjoy this aspect of the game. And the excitement level we observe when our coaches are able to sign some of these kids which we are after is certainly understandable.

But, Payton, I have never seen a post from you, either positive or negative, regarding your opinion of our coaching staff. Are you 100% down for keeping Bobby Hauck and his staff, to develop these new recruits, and to have the ability to return us to dominance, in both the conference, and nationally???

I would love to read your comments on this topic.

As some of you know, I coached on a High School Level in Montana and Texas and understand what it takes to get a team ready for games, training and the off season.
It is incredibly hard and I am honored to be in the same light as other Coaches. I have spoken with head coaches at a high Texas HS and FBS level and have been taught by them. LSU, Texas A&M, Houston, Texas etc... (We had a RB and went on to TCU and was the 3A (now 4A) Texas MVP and spent a few years in the NFL), so they were all on our HS campus. Our Head coach in Texas (that I coached under) is highly thought of in the coaching ranks and got calls daily from other coaches. He is a man of high integrity and always put the student ath. before everything else. (AND YES he won most of the games he coached in his career around 80%) I learned more than I ever thought I could about coaching and football from him and the other coaches I had the honor of sitting down with. I have never met a coach that did not work harder than you would ever believe, they would not last long if they were lazy. Serious TYPE A's with a supercharged desire to win.

Because of this I RARLY say or post anything about coaches or players (Other than recruiting)

I am not in the room with them watching film
I do not know what is going on in their personal lives
I do not know what players may or may not be going through
I do not know if the coaches kids or wife is sick
I do not know which players made a mistake on a certain play that cost UM a Touchdown (I can usually guess, but I really don't know because Im not in the trenches with them)
I do not know what pressure admin and other department heads are putting on the players and coaches.
Recruiting is cut throat and really last year around for coaches like Hauck and Justin Green
When I was a kid coaches could take 3 months off to relax and get recharged...That does not happen now, even at the HS level.

In other words, I have never met a coach that did not want to be successful and win every game that they coached. But sometimes other things get in the way from all the hard work that You (any coach) do.

And let's face it you can have the best off season, schedule and all the intangibles and still have a less than expected season. As a coaching friend of mine says "The F'ing ball isn't round!"

Yes there are sometime I grumble to myself but I don't believe in bashing coaches (or players for that matter) in public, because I think that is very unfair. For every 1 coach/player that isn't giving their best, I have seen 100's that are.

One last thing. A lot of people /Griz fans have REALLY high expectations, which is fine. But the last time I checked there were 120 FCS teams and the Griz are in the top 15 EVERY DAMN YEAR! I wish fans would stop bashing UM about the 10 teams in front of them and realize there are 100 that are behind them!

AS far as RTD...I feel like fans don't realize that UM Griz are Dominate! You put them in any FCS league but the Missouri Valley or Big Sky and they would likely kick the shat out of every team in that conference. And really its only 6 or 7 MV/Big Sky teams that UM needs to catch. They probably finish around 500 in the Mountain West.

As far as Hauck and company... What do you want? They win most of the games they coach, his players graduate and the Team GPA is 3.20 or something close to that. It appears that he has cleaned up the past problems. AND if it was so bad why do the players stay? Do things need to be changed/ twinked? Yes, but that is every year!

Is there things I would change? Yes but every coach does things a little different... And I and fans are in NO position to even remotely know what is going on inside of the fieldhouse and the coaches/ players at UM

Paytonlives said:
As some of you know, I coached on a High School Level in Montana and Texas and understand what it takes to get a team ready for games, training and the off season.
It is incredibly hard and I am honored to be in the same light as other Coaches. I have spoken with head coaches at a high Texas HS and FBS level and have been taught by them. LSU, Texas A&M, Houston, Texas etc... (We had a RB and went on to TCU and was the 3A (now 4A) Texas MVP and spent a few years in the NFL), so they were all on our HS campus. Our Head coach in Texas (that I coached under) is highly thought of in the coaching ranks and got calls daily from other coaches. He is a man of high integrity and always put the student ath. before everything else. (AND YES he won most of the games he coached in his career around 80%) I learned more than I ever thought I could about coaching and football from him and the other coaches I had the honor of sitting down with. I have never met a coach that did not work harder than you would ever believe, they would not last long if they were lazy. Serious TYPE A's with a supercharged desire to win.

Because of this I RARLY say or post anything about coaches or players (Other than recruiting)

I do not know which players made a mistake on a certain play that cost UM a Touchdown (I can usually guess, but I really don't know because Im not in the trenches with them)
I do not know what pressure admin and other department heads are putting on the players and coaches.
Recruiting is cut throat and really last year around for coaches like Hauck and Justin Green
When I was a kid coaches could take 3 months off to relax and get recharged...That does not happen now, even at the HS level.

In other words, I have never met a coach that did not want to be successful and win every game that they coached. But sometimes other things get in the way from all the hard work that You (any coach) do.

And let's face it you can have the best off season, schedule and all the intangibles and still have a less than expected season. As a coaching friend of mine says "The F'ing ball isn't round!"

Yes there are sometime I grumble to myself but I don't believe in bashing coaches (or players for that matter) in public, because I think that is very unfair. For every 1 coach/player that isn't giving their best, I have seen 100's that are.

One last thing. A lot of people /Griz fans have REALLY high expectations, which is fine. But the last time I checked there were 120 FCS teams and the Griz are in the top 15 EVERY DAMN YEAR! I wish fans would stop bashing UM about the 10 teams in front of them and realize there are 100 that are behind them!

AS far as RTD...I feel like fans don't realize that UM Griz are Dominate! You put them in any FCS league but the Missouri Valley or Big Sky and they would likely kick the shat out of every team in that conference. And really its only 6 or 7 MV/Big Sky teams that UM needs to catch. They probably finish around 500 in the Mountain West.

As far as Hauck and company... What do you want? They win most of the games they coach, his players graduate and the Team GPA is 3.20 or something close to that. It appears that he has cleaned up the past problems. AND if it was so bad why do the players stay? Do things need to be changed/ twinked? Yes, but that is every year!

Is there things I would change? Yes but every coach does things a little different... And I and fans are in NO position to even remotely know what is going on inside of the fieldhouse and the coaches/ players at UM

I had not realized you were a former high school coach. That fact gives you a unique perspective on this topic, and one that I don't share. You make some salient points, and I can find common ground in many things you stated.

The one thing I disagree with you about is your statements that we should be proud and satisfied with finishing in the top 15 of 120 programs. I would agree with you, except for the fact that of those 120 programs, we enjoy the finest facilities, the largest fan base, the best game-day experience, and a long tradition of 5 national championship games. There is no other FCS team still playing at this level who can duplicate that, except NDSU. I'm sure you will agree that the UM football program is much closer to an FBS program than any other FCS school. Because of this, isn't it logical to expect more than a top 15 finish each season?

Finally, your support for the pressures to win, and the 24/7 time commitment that coaches must incur to succeed is understandable. Yet, as with any business (make no mistake about the fact that college football is now a business), some CEOs fail, and thus are replaced. All head coaches live daily with the fact that this year could be their last with any program. It is what it is...... win, or be replaced. At some schools, winning 6-7 games each season is a good season. That W/L record will never be tolerated by our fan base.

So, it ultimately comes down to winning, especially with the top-tier programs in both FBS and FCS. And, I'm sure that you will agree we are a top-tier FCS program, or at least we used to be, and still SHOULD BE.

Again, thanks for your comments. I learned much about your past athletic life from your post.

Paytonlives said:

How about winning the conference? How about beating the neighbors? How about winning the National Championship?

Good grief...IT IS NOT WORKING.

How much more does this staff need the FCS to water down before they meet some basic expectations?

Griz used to be feared....that is simply gone. Long gong....

Paytonlives said:

Excellent

RoseyMustGo said:
The one thing I disagree with you about is your statements that we should be proud and satisfied with finishing in the top 15 of 120 programs. I would agree with you, except for the fact that of those 120 programs, we enjoy the finest facilities, the largest fan base, the best game-day experience, and a long tradition of 5 national championship games. There is no other FCS team still playing at this level who can duplicate that, except NDSU. I'm sure you will agree that the UM football program is much closer to an FBS program than any other FCS school. Because of this, isn't it logical to expect more than a top 15 finish each season?

7. Not 5.

UncleRico said:
Paytonlives said:

Excellent

I agree. Great post and thoughts. Great perspective. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Rico has also coached football and basketball in high school and been the head football coach at several schools. And he's from a family of coaches.

And there we have it. Within minutes, we have two fans post who agree that finishing in the top 15 is perfectly fine, and we should accept and be happy with that performance. But another poster aspires to the opposite point-of-view, remembering deep playoff runs against a MUCH STRONGER FCS field, 5 visits to the NC game, two National Championships, and routinely beating the Cats and winning the conference.

The problem is that we re-hired a coach who participated in those years of dominance........ and who promised us that he would return us to those years........ and after 5 seasons, we are not even close to ANY of those past accomplishments! And this is exactly why me, and many others in Griz Nation, desire a change of direction.

Doing the same thing, with the same old coaches, year-after-year, and expecting a different result, is a definition of insanity.

AZGrizFan said:
RoseyMustGo said:

7. Not 5.

Marshall.....W
Marshall.....L
Georgia Southern.....L
Furman.......W
Richmond....L (?)

Which games am I missing?

SoldierGriz said:
How about winning the conference? How about beating the neighbors? How about winning the National Championship?

How much more does this staff need the FCS to water down before they meet some basic expectations?

So you think thats easy?

Like I said there are some fans that just don't get it,

Big Sky Conference is toughest FCS in the nation
Are 1-1 in the last two with kittens (After covid)
Only 4 teams have won a NC in the last 12 years. SD State, Sam Houston, James Madison and NDSU (9 Times)

Your goals are all within reach for UM

if UM sucks so bad why not look for another team to follow? or better yet give us a list with teams that meet your "basic expectations" every year
So win Conference
Beat rival
and win National Championship

Ill give you NDSU

Now add to the list

Paytonlives said:
SoldierGriz said:

So you think thats easy?

Like I said there are some fans that just don't get it,

Big Sky Conference is toughest FCS in the nation
Are 1-1 in the last two with kittens (After covid)
Only 4 teams have won a NC in the last 12 years. SD State, Sam Houston, James Madison and NDSU (9 Times)

Your goals are all within reach for UM

if UM sucks so bad why not look for another team to follow? or better yet give us a list with teams that meet your list... Ill give you NDSU

Now add to the list

uofmman1122 said:
RoseyMustGo said:
Marshall.....W
Marshall.....L
Georgia Southern.....L
Furman.......W
Richmond....L (?)

JMU 2004
Villanova 2009

Right, I forgot about those two. Thanks. But participating in 7 NC games makes my point even stronger for advocating for a coach who can actually RTD, instead just promising it, with no cigar.

RoseyMustGo said:
And there we have it. Within minutes, we have two fans post who agree that finishing in the top 15 is perfectly fine, and we should accept and be happy with that performance. But another poster aspires to the opposite point-of-view, remembering deep playoff runs against a MUCH STRONGER FCS field, 5 visits to the NC game, two National Championships, and routinely beating the Cats and winning the conferenc
The problem is that we re-hired a coach who participated in those years of dominance........ and who promised us that he would return us to those years........ and after 5 seasons, we are not even close to ANY of those past accomplishments! And this is exactly why me, and many others in Griz Nation, desire a change of direction.

Doing the same thing, with the same old coaches, year-after-year, and expecting a different result, is a definition of insanity.

Nobody said that finishing in the top 15 is "perfecting fine". Why can't you just stick with what posters actually say?

Yes, we in fact are close to RTD. Top 8 finishes in seasons 2 and 3, and a disappointing 14 last season (due to not having our very good qb healthy). With a healthy Johnson, I think the Griz would have been at least a semi-final team last fall. That would have been RTD. It didn't happen, but it's clear the team is filling its holes and gearing up for a big season next fall. Why can't you appreciate and enjoy that?

And, we haven't had 5 seasons. 4 seasons and a covid year. An average of top 10 in the past 3 seasons. Pretty good, but not where we want to be.

RoseyMustGo said:
AZGrizFan said:
7. Not 5.

Marshall.....W
Marshall.....L
Georgia Southern.....L
Furman.......W
Richmond....L (?)

You really have lost it and don't even know or recall the basics of Griz football. That's pretty funny. Big mouth; little memory.

mthoopsfan said:
RoseyMustGo said:
And there we have it. Within minutes, we have two fans post who agree that finishing in the top 15 is perfectly fine, and we should accept and be happy with that performance. But another poster aspires to the opposite point-of-view, remembering deep playoff runs against a MUCH STRONGER FCS field, 5 visits to the NC game, two National Championships, and routinely beating the Cats and winning the conferenc

Nobody said that finishing in the top 15 is "perfecting fine". Why can't you just stick with what posters actually say?

Yes, we in fact are close to RTD. Top 8 finishes in seasons 2 and 3, and a disappointing 14 last season (due to not having our very good qb healthy). With a healthy Johnson, I think the Griz would have been at least a semi-final team last fall. That would have been RTD. It didn't happen, but it's clear the team is filling its holes and gearing up for a big season next fall. Why can't you appreciate and enjoy that?

And, we haven't had 5 seasons. 4 seasons and a covid year. An average of top 10 in the past 3 seasons. Pretty good, but not where we want to be.

Typical excuse-making for losses. Did our injured QB cause us to give-up 1000 rushing yards to two quality teams in our last two games?

mthoopsfan said:
RoseyMustGo said:
Marshall.....W
Marshall.....L
Georgia Southern.....L
Furman.......W
Richmond....L (?)

You really have lost it and don't even know or recall the basics of Griz football. That's pretty funny. Big mouth; little memory.

Big head: little dick

mthoopsfan said:
RoseyMustGo said:

Yes.... The goal should always be a NC... But that is not easy to do

Bueno. So, everyone agrees we’re doing OK, but not as well as we want to be doing. Time to move on and see what shakes out after spring camp. Go Griz!

Back