• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gotta Be Something Wrong Here…….

Sport

Here’s my theory and I’m sticking with it. Haven’t looked up the final stats on tonight’s game but I ask, “How do the Griz go from shooting almost 50% from 3 2 nights ago to single digits tonight against Eastern tonight?” The answer is plan and simple. If you’ll notice all the 3 pt. attempts hit the backside of the rim. That’s because those bastards over the hill, not the East but the West, moved the 3 pt. line in 6”. I think someone needs to have the Big Sky Conference look into this and get back to us. I know we can be challenged at times but how many open 3’s did we miss? No need to answer.

I seem to remember back in the early years of Decuire, there was a story that supposedly Eastern has the most unforgiving rims of any team in the conference. I think it was Eastern. I don't remember for sure, but I do remember reading in an article about it years ago. I'll see if I can find it.

Griz til I die said:
I seem to remember back in the early years of Decuire, there was a story that supposedly Eastern has the most unforgiving rims of any team in the conference. I think it was Eastern. I don't remember for sure, but I do remember reading in an article about it years ago. I'll see if I can find it.

Oh, so now it's the rims, huh? Shots are supposed to go through the nets. I guess those rims didn't effect the Eastern players much.

RoseyMustGo said:
Griz til I die said:

Oh, so now it's the rims, huh? Shots are supposed to go through the nets. I guess those rims didn't effect the Eastern players much.
Will you get fucked dude? I never said this was why we lost. There were plenty of other things we could've done right to win the game, but we didn't. You're literally the biggest tool on this board and everyone knows it!

RoseyMustGo said:
Griz til I die said:
, so now it's the rims, huh? Shots are supposed to go through the nets. I guess those rims didn't effect the Eastern players much.

Lighten up Alice. It was meant tongue in cheek. Had to be one of if not the worst 3 Pt. shooing nights in program history. Just one of those nights. Just need to forget last night and move on to the cats.
Comparatively the cats lost to the worst team in the sky.

I have grown tired of all the excuses (too young, Anderson is hurt, Whitney is sick, not making shots, Yadi, Yadi, Yada) at some point it just needs to be recognized for what it is. A poorly constructed team that lacks depth. But I will say I strongly believe that the teams playing their 3rd game in 5 days should not be on the road. If the Conference wants MLK day games, this must be fixed. I don't think it was a coincidence that the Griz had that type of shooting night, the same night the Cats are down 12-0 at the first media time-out and lose to idaho.

Neither team played very well last night....Monday games are brutal with the travel in this conference, and EWU playing at home Saturday and Monday had the advantage. The griz came out with a great gameplan and threw EWU off their offense in the 1st half. It was a slugfest and both teams played good on D but poor on O.

Griz are much better than a lot of you give them credit for.

GrizBall said:
I have grown tired of all the excuses (too young, Anderson is hurt, Whitney is sick, not making shots, Yadi, Yadi, Yada) at some point it just needs to be recognized for what it is. A poorly constructed team that lacks depth. But I will say I strongly believe that the teams playing their 3rd game in 5 days should not be on the road. If the Conference wants MLK day games, this must be fixed. I don't think it was a coincidence that the Griz had that type of shooting night, the same night the Cats are down 12-0 at the first media time-out and lose to idaho.

Yeah, and the latest excuse........ the unforgiving rims! ROFL! You can't make this sh*t up!

marceagfan5 said:
Neither team played very well last night....Monday games are brutal with the travel in this conference, and EWU playing at home Saturday and Monday had the advantage. The griz came out with a great gameplan and threw EWU off their offense in the 1st half. It was a slugfest and both teams played good on D but poor on O.

This!

marceagfan5 said:

At some point that has to be reflected on the court and in the records.

It’s not, it hasn’t been for a while, and I see no evidence that it’ll improve anytime soon.

AZGrizFan said:
marceagfan5 said:

It’s not, it hasn’t been for a while, and I see no evidence that it’ll improve anytime soon.
Been avoiding this debate ... but here goes.

The Griz are not a bad team ... trouble is, they're not a good team, either. They are basically middle-of-the-pack, as shown objectively by their record.

The Griz have several good (or even very good) players ... trouble is, they have yet to really gel as a team to make the most of their talents. At times, they do – they look great working together – but they do not sustain it. That, I fear, is on them ... coaches can only to so much.

I have a theory about why this bunch of good to very good players cannot seem to sustain what should be (we've seen it) a high level of play. Trouble is, I have no direct observations to nail it down ... even video presents only a restricted point of view. Still, after seventy years of playing (a bit) and watching, you do learn a lot. (It's not rocket science.) There's no specific thing you can put your finger on, but "you know it when you see" (or don't). It's called (vaguely) "leadership," and perhaps some of you who have attended games can fill in the blanks. But, in my view, the Griz seem to lack a team "psyche" where someone steps up at crunch time. It doesn't have to be a certain player – though it usually is – but some player has to have a "refuse to lose" attitude and put the team on his back. We've seen flashes, but nothing sustained. Again, that's not (entirely) on the coaches ... players have to find it within themselves.

IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:

The Griz are not a bad team ... trouble is, they're not a good team, either. They are basically middle-of-the-pack, as shown objectively by their record.

The Griz have several good (or even very good) players ... trouble is, they have yet to really gel as a team to make the most of their talents. At times, they do – they look great working together – but they do not sustain it. That, I fear, is on them ... coaches can only to so much.

I have a theory about why this bunch of good to very good players cannot seem to sustain what should be (we've seen it) a high level of play. Trouble is, I have no direct observations to nail it down ... even video presents only a restricted point of view. Still, after seventy years of playing (a bit) and watching, you do learn a lot. (It's not rocket science.) There's no specific thing you can put your finger on, but "you know it when you see" (or don't). It's called (vaguely) "leadership," and perhaps some of you who have attended games can fill in the blanks. But, in my view, the Griz seem to lack a team "psyche" where someone steps up at crunch time. It doesn't have to be a certain player – though it usually is – but some player has to have a "refuse to lose" attitude and put the team on his back. We've seen flashes, but nothing sustained. Again, that's not (entirely) on the coaches ... players have to find it within themselves.

+1 :thumb:

IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:

I believe this is correct in that they aren’t a bad team and they aren’t a good team. But I think it is more a function of the team that was recruited as opposed to current players somehow coming up short or the team not gelling.

1. Bannan, Moody and Thomas are all having career years and the team still can’t break through. To expect more from them is unreasonable. They are all exceeding expectations.

2. If you want some “dawgs” on your team then recruit some “dawgs.” I watch all levels of basketball, even the “dawgs” on 4th grade teams are obvious.

3. The depth on this team is umm . . . some what lacking.

4. This team has no perimeter playmakers and the lack of a true point guard would make it difficult for any team to gel.

Sure, players can always step it up a little more, but in the end, based on the make-up of the team, any one disappointed with the year had unrealistic expectations to begin with.

Public Service Announcement: Please stop buying into the hype of highlight videos unless they are against D-1 teams AND supported by that player’s season’s stats at the D-1 level. Thank You.

GrizBall said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Public Service Announcement: Please stop buying into the hype of highlight videos unless they are against D-1 teams AND supported by that player’s season’s stats at the D-1 level. Thank You.

What about Divante Moffitt? How about Derrick White? Cedrick Coward and Dane Erikstrup? Bad argument that you're making with that point.

CopperGold14 said:
GrizBall said:
What about Divante Moffitt? How about Derrick White? Cedrick Coward and Dane Erikstrup? Bad argument that you're making with that point.
The "public service announcement" was not my comment ... inaccurate editing of the quote functions. Your "disagreement" is with someone else ... Grizball, I guess. Just so you know.

CopperGold14 said:
GrizBall said:

It’s called an outlier. You are cherry picking outliers. The success stories of players coming from lower levels and making a difference at D-1 is very low. I am just saying overwhelming odds are not in the favor of success, which is why most D-1 schools don’t choose non D-1 guys out of portal and why you should proceed with caution.

I would make the same comment about 2nd round NBA picks. Ginobli, the Joker, Draymond Green were all picked in the 2nd round and are or will be Hall of Famers. But the probability of a 2nd rounder coming in and being successful is a extremely low. But it can and does happen.

IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:

One could argue the same thing about the football team. Lots of good to great individual players, but at very inopportune times they don’t play well as a team and it always seems to happen as the difficulty level of the competition rises.

is that not a coaching issue? Sure seems so to me…or a recruiting issue. But what do I know? Never played THIS game above the 7th grade.

GrizBall said:
IdaGriz01 said:

I believe this is correct in that they aren’t a bad team and they aren’t a good team. But I think it is more a function of the team that was recruited as opposed to current players somehow coming up short or the team not gelling.

1. Bannan, Moody and Thomas are all having career years and the team still can’t break through. To expect more from them is unreasonable. They are all exceeding expectations.

2. If you want some “dawgs” on your team then recruit some “dawgs.” I watch all levels of basketball, even the “dawgs” on 4th grade teams are obvious.

4. This team has no perimeter playmakers and the lack of a true point guard would make it difficult for any team to gel.

Sure, players can always step it up a little more, but in the end, based on the make-up of the team, any one disappointed with the year had unrealistic expectations to begin with.

Number 1 is no point guard. Parker's absence is huge. Bannan ends up handling the ball too much, not his forte though if he can make quick interior passes he succeeds. Tough to make plays when the D keys on you and double teams a lot.

Mooney is hot and cold, unfortunately not very consistent.

No depth nor, it seems, any attempt to get the young guys any minutes in order to develop depth.

Not much above average talent the last 5 years, given staff connections to the Seattle area how does Sprinkle get an A level talent like Evans and other than Anderson (Bobby was very solid and Nap looks promising TBF) and we can't?

So with minor nits completely concur with your take. Middle of the road squad, middle of the road results. A few years ago was usually excited to see the boys play anybody, no longer must see entertainment for me. Football is mostly over, the time to get fired up for college hoops heading into March. Was at the game when Doug Selvig dropped in the runner to beat Kellerman's #8 Idaho 40 years ago and have had many an exciting time at Lady G and Griz games since, that anticipation just isn't there anymore and I miss it.

Hoops watcher said:
GrizBall said:

Number 1 is no point guard. Parker's absence is huge. Bannan ends up handling the ball too much, not his forte though if he can make quick interior passes he succeeds. Tough to make plays when the D keys on you and double teams a lot.

Mooney is hot and cold, unfortunately not very consistent.

No depth nor, it seems, any attempt to get the young guys any minutes in order to develop depth.

Not much above average talent the last 5 years, given staff connections to the Seattle area how does Sprinkle get an A level talent like Evans and other than Anderson (Bobby was very solid and Nap looks promising TBF) and we can't?

So with minor nits completely concur with your take. Middle of the road squad, middle of the road results. A few years ago was usually excited to see the boys play anybody, no longer must see entertainment for me. Football is mostly over, the time to get fired up for college hoops heading into March. Was at the game when Doug Selvig dropped in the runner to beat Kellerman's #8 Idaho 40 years ago and have had many an exciting time at Lady G and Griz games since, that anticipation just isn't there anymore and I miss it.

Sounds like you are all-in on hiring a new BB coach......

Back