• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Never to Early 2023 Poll - Griz #9

ordigger

DONOR
Haley has the Griz at #9 in his never to early poll. Griz should easily win 10 games next year with their schedule.

https://twitter.com/fcs_stats/status/1613551765038796800?s=46&t=SuCzWt4gnslrmIvkqDuKEw

9. Montana (8-5, No. 14) – The non-challenging, er, non-conference schedule of Butler, Utah Tech and Ferris State is not a misprint, so the Grizzlies should post a better record than in 2022. While they need improvement at quarterback, they return a veteran offensive line, wide receiver Junior Bergen, tight end Cole Grossman and running back Nick Ostmo.

Let the love and hate begin.

Easily win 10 games? Boy, you're WAY more optimistic than I am. Trips to NAU, Davis, Idaho...home against Sac and the cats. Don't sleep on Ferris St either. D2 national champs will not be a pushover.

Griz2k said:
Easily win 10 games? Boy, you're WAY more optimistic than I am. Trips to NAU, Davis, Idaho...home against Sac and the cats. Don't sleep on Ferris St either. D2 national champs will not be a pushover.

Far easier than last year. And I think the team will be much better.

ordigger said:
Griz2k said:

Based on…..?

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Put this factoid on another thread:

https://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/sports/fball/2022-23/releases/20220812k7eqqf

It's a good thing they get FState at home. It will be the toughest of the non-conf season games.

Bill & Mary even on the list is a head-scratcher. Did not showing up for the Bozeman game portend great things ahead? Anyone of the teams in his next five are more worthy of praise, including Davis. They were coming on at the end of last season and unless they graduated everyone, I think they'll represent more than adequately.

HookedonGriz said:
I think we have all chosen 10 wins for 10 years straight. I will go with a realistic 8-3.

Not realistic. In fact impossible. An 8-3 team regular season makes the playoffs. They could lose and go 8-4, win and a loss 9-4, 2 wins and a loss 10-4 and so forth

ordigger said:
HookedonGriz said:
I think we have all chosen 10 wins for 10 years straight. I will go with a realistic 8-3.

Not realistic. In fact impossible. An 8-3 team regular season makes the playoffs. They could lose and go 8-4, win and a loss 9-4, 2 wins and a loss 10-4 and so forth

Sorry you lost me. There are 11 regular season games before any playoffs. I think Griz will go 8-3 (which only gives them 7 D1 wins and puts them on bubble).

HookedonGriz said:
ordigger said:

Sorry you lost me. There are 11 regular season games before any playoffs. I think Griz will go 8-3 (which only gives them 7 D1 wins and puts them on bubble).

Nobody said regular season. Total wins includes all games . Impossible to end season with 8-3 because with that record we play at least 12 games. My ten win prediction is for the entire year.

AZGrizFan said:
ordigger said:

Based on…..?

I’m an optimist.

But clearly the offense will be better. I see all groups being far better. And I don’t buy into the OL was bad BS. It was good but inconsistent. We return 4 of them and they will be far better. As for defense, only Justin Ford will be hard to replace with no obvious player filling his role.

The only potential weakness is the coaching but we shall see how the new role assignments work out

ordigger said:
HookedonGriz said:

Nobody said regular season. Total wins includes all games . Impossible to end season with 8-3 because with that record we play at least 12 games. My ten win prediction is for the entire year.

Oh gotcha, that makes more sense.

ordigger said:
AZGrizFan said:
Based on…..?

I’m an optimist.

But clearly the offense will be better. I see all groups being far better. And I don’t buy into the OL was bad BS. It was good but inconsistent. We return 4 of them and they will be far better. As for defense, only Justin Ford will be hard to replace with no obvious player filling his role.

The only potential weakness is the coaching but we shall see how the new role assignments work out

You certainly are an optimist. Returning the same OL players isn’t necessarily a good thing. Also, you don’t have a Lucas Johnson on the roster, not even close. Last year proved, you were terrible without him.

ordigger said:
AZGrizFan said:
Based on…..?

I’m an optimist.

One thing I've noticed in Hauck's offensive scheme of things these days, is that back between 2003-09 Hauck used TEs extensively, sometimes two at the same time; great in the red zone. Nowadays it's hardly one at a time. When Jake Olson was signed I thought he'd be in line for being an All-American candidate by his sophomore year. What gives?

Awesome, 9th would mean best team to not make the quarterfinals level. Means another mid-conference finish, Cat loss and one playoff win thanks to homefield $. Just enough to keep Bobby ass kissers happy. RTD!!!!!!!!!

poorgriz said:
ordigger said:
I’m an optimist.

You certainly are an optimist. Returning the same OL players isn’t necessarily a good thing. Also, you don’t have a Lucas Johnson on the roster, not even close. Last year proved, you were terrible without him.

The o-line was good most of the time, but not all of the time. It's going to be better and have more experience and depth next season. I agree on Johnson, but he often wasn't healthy or playing as the season went on.

How would you rate the play of the Cat o-line in the So. Dak St game? 52 yards on ground. 1.2 yards per carry. Gave up 4 sacks and 10 TFL. UM averaged 3.4 per carry against UM, and gave up 1 sack and 3 TFL.

WyomingGrizFan said:
ordigger said:
I’m an optimist.

One thing I've noticed in Hauck's offensive scheme of things these days, is that back between 2003-09 Hauck used TEs extensively, sometimes two at the same time; great in the red zone. Nowadays it's hardly one at a time. When Jake Olson was signed I thought he'd be in line for being an All-American candidate by his sophomore year. What gives?

Not true. Griz still use TE"s and multiple TE's fairly often.

WyomingGrizFan said:
ordigger said:
I’m an optimist.

He spent last year in a boot on the sidelines.

WyomingGrizFan said:
ordigger said:
I’m an optimist.

The only thing that hasn't changed is the number of folks on each side, # of time outs and the game clock. To use a TE as anything other than a blocker, which they've pretty much turned into, it might make some sense not to run them to the sidelines to make catches. You know, use the space in-between the numbers like it was there. But remember, the ball went where it was supposed to go, most all the time.

They're probably not top ten material at this point, but Haley likes to include them because part of his shtick is all the abuse the takes from the keyboards of Griz fans.

WyomingGrizFan said:
ordigger said:
I’m an optimist.

Outside of Grossman, the three TE's that played the most; Rensvold, Elwell, and Barker caught 6 passes for 37 yards and no TD's.

Back