• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Portal ruining FCS

RoseyMustGo

For those of you who think that the portal will provide the way for the Griz to RTD, here are some sobering things regarding the portal to consider.
The best players in the portal have already committed to other FBS schools, and will receive NIL money to do so. I have attached a portal site which actually gives the NIL portal value for players. How can we expect to compete with teams giving thousands of dollars to a 20 year old kid?
We will get the leftovers instead. Not the type of players who can turn a program around.
IMO, high school recruiting should still be the way to build a team, not trying to band-aid positions of need by using the portal. Yes, it is true, that players recruited out of high school who excel at the FCS level, will certainly enter the portal to seek NIL money as well as playing at a higher level. So, you have to keep recruiting solid high school talent to re-stock the cupboard when one of your star players leaves for the portal.
I think the Cats are doing a much better job of that currently.
The Cats new high school QB recruit, Chance Wilson, had 11 offers (4 from FBS schools) and one from North Dakota State. Yet, here we sit at Montana with no high school QB recruit, and only hope that we can sign a good portal QB. I think we are banking on finding a great portal QB following spring practice, when many will hit the portal. But, the best ones will probably receive NIL money and sign elsewhere.
The report on Jack Tuttle is that he signed with Michigan because he received over $70K in NIL money. Why would he sign with us for zero money, when he can get $70K?
In summary, I think the portal will turn out to be the worst thing to happen to FCS football. I have never been an advocate to move-up to FBS before, but I might change my mind on that because of what is happening to NCAA football.

https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/wire/football/2023/

RoseyMustGo said:
For those of you who think that the portal will provide the way for the Griz to RTD, here are some sobering things regarding the portal to consider.
The best players in the portal have already committed to other FBS schools, and will receive NIL money to do so. I have attached a portal site which actually gives the NIL portal value for players. How can we expect to compete with teams giving thousands of dollars to a 20 year old kid?
We will get the leftovers instead. Not the type of players who can turn a program around.
IMO, high school recruiting should still be the way to build a team, not trying to band-aid positions of need by using the portal. Yes, it is true, that players recruited out of high school who excel at the FCS level, will certainly enter the portal to seek NIL money as well as playing at a higher level. So, you have to keep recruiting solid high school talent to re-stock the cupboard when one of your star players leaves for the portal.
The Cats new high school QB recruit, Chance Wilson, had 11 offers (4 from FBS schools) and one from North Dakota State. Yet, here we sit at Montana with no high school QB recruit, and only hope that we can sign a good portal QB. I think we are banking on finding a great portal QB following spring practice, when many will hit the portal. But, the best ones will probably receive NIL money and sign elsewhere.
The report on Jack Tuttle is that he signed with Michigan because he received over $70K in NIL money. Why would he sign with us for zero money, when he can get $70K?
In summary, I think the portal will turn out to be the worst thing to happen to FCS football. I have never been an advocate to move-up to FBS before, but I might change my mind on that because of what is happening to NCAA football.

It appears like we have already backed off traditional high school recruiting and may be relying on the portal. We are between a rock and a hard spot. We should move to FBS but can’t due to the enrollment issues and UM finances.

RoseyMustGo said:

I don't disagree with your premise, but the Griz did in fact recruit 2x HS QBs this cycle.

SoldierGriz said:
RoseyMustGo said:

I don't disagree with your premise, but the Griz did in fact recruit 2x HS QBs this cycle.

You mean those two future safeties?

Spanky2 said:
RoseyMustGo said:

It appears like we have already backed off traditional high school recruiting and may be relying on the portal. We are between a rock and a hard spot. We should move to FBS but can’t due to the enrollment issues and UM finances.

what are the enrollment issues you speak of? Not aware of any, but please enlighten me

RoseyMustGo said:
SoldierGriz said:

Huot has not changed positions and I expect to see him competing for the QB job in the spring.

RoseyMustGo said:
SoldierGriz said:

Those recruits that went from QB to safety also were solid defensive players in HS (played both sides).

kemajic said:
RoseyMustGo said:
Huot has not changed positions and I expect to see him competing for the QB job in the spring.

Do you honestly believe that bob will give him a chance, hasn't happened yet with any QB.

kemajic said:
RoseyMustGo said:

How many FCS or FBS offers did Huot have out of high school? If he was that good, don't you think our coaches would have played him over Brown, when LJ got hurt? He was 4th in the QB room last season, and suddenly he will be The Answer?

Triwest said:
RoseyMustGo said:

Those recruits that went from QB to safety also were solid defensive players in HS (played both sides).

I'm not saying that they are not going to be good players, but we kinda need a QB.

Tuttle played all of 16 games in his entire career, and to my knowledge is rehabbing an injured shoulder right now. Seems like a lot of money to bet on the come, for someone who's never helmed a winner. But you're absolutely right, at the end of the day, it takes money to buy whiskey. No one should blame the kid for taking the money.

To my eye, this portal & NIL stuff is evolving into something akin to the free agency process in pro-sports. Overpaying, for the most part, for underperformance. But what are you going to do? Fans and most importantly, the folks who write checks, will have your ass if you aren't out there trying to buy, I mean get, better players.

RoseyMustGo said:
kemajic said:

How many FCS or FBS offers did Huot have out of high school? If he was that good, don't you think our coaches would have played him over Brown, when LJ got hurt? He was 4th in the QB room last season, and suddenly he will be The Answer?

How many FBS offers did Chase Reynolds have?

BozAngelesGriz said:
RoseyMustGo said:

Your correct, phrased it way out of context. Guys like Reynolds and Mariani are and will forever be, happy accidents. God knows there are never enough of them.

Should have read, "How much coaching attention did Huot actually get this past season? If he was that good, don't you think our coaches would have played him over Brown or Britt, when LJ got hurt? He was the 4th in the QB room last season and wasn't named scout team player of the year, which is all he was given in terms of development. Suddenly, he will be the Answer?"

Only half kidding.

Bok_Choi said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

Your correct, phrased it way out of context. Guys like Reynolds and Mariani are and will forever be, happy accidents. God knows there are never enough of them.

Should have read, "How much coaching attention did Huot actually get this past season? If he was that good, don't you think our coaches would have played him over Brown or Britt, when LJ got hurt? He was the 4th in the QB room last season and wasn't named scout team player of the year, which is all he was given in terms of development. Suddenly, he will be the Answer?"

Only half kidding.

Don't forget Colt Anderson. But, is that our formula for success......... try to find one of these non-recruited kids every 3-4 years who turn out to be great players? Don't think that is the answer

RoseyMustGo said:
Spanky2 said:

what are the enrollment issues you speak of? Not aware of any, but please enlighten me
Enrollment at Montana is approx 10,000-Montana State approx 17,000. Enrollment translates to revenue or lack of revenue. That’s an issue for UM.

Spanky2 said:
RoseyMustGo said:
Enrollment at Montana is approx 10,000-Montana State approx 17,000. Enrollment translates to revenue or lack of revenue. That’s an issue for UM.

Rosey is senile and already forgot about the enrollment decline. Or maybe he doesn’t know that tuition creates revenue.

mthoopsfan said:
Spanky2 said:

Rosey is senile and already forgot about the enrollment decline. Or maybe he doesn’t know that tuition creates revenue.

I was curious when he questioned me.

RoseyMustGo said:
kemajic said:

Competing in the spring and you advance to the answer so you can argue? You're not even capable of a knowledgeable discussion.

kemajic said:
RoseyMustGo said:
Competing in the spring and you advance to the answer so you can argue? You're not even capable of a knowledgeable discussion.

Look dude, we know you played football 60 years ago. So what? We also know that you are a hack for ANYTHING Bobby Hauck. Does he pay you? Because you are in a vast minority among Griz football fans. None of the fans I know support Hauck now....... only a few of you keyboard warriors. Just know that you are in the minority.

Let me get this straight..... Huot was hardly recruited....... was 4th string in the QB room this season....... was not even awarded scout team player of the year like Britt was..... but he will be The Answer at QB??? Yes, you are 100% correct that he will be "competing" for the starting QB job. So what? Do you want a medal for that astute observation? LOL

Much like Hoops competing for jock-sniffer of the year.

mthoopsfan said:
Spanky2 said:

Duhhhhhhhhhhh!

Back