• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NCAA allowing on campus voluntary activities to resume June 1

dirtysoup

Hopefully the beginning of normalcy, sort of.

Sources: Voluntary campus workouts OK in June http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29201077/voluntary-campus-activities-resume-football-basketball-starting-june-1-sources-say
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

dirtysoup said:

Sources: Voluntary campus workouts OK in June http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29201077/voluntary-campus-activities-resume-football-basketball-starting-june-1-sources-say

Good to get things moving forward. I will be interested to see what steps the campuses take to mitigate risk, as they no doubt will, for the sake of coaches and players' families as much as for the players themselves. Things will undoubtedly look very different for a while.

Berkeley_Griz said:
dirtysoup said:

Good to get things moving forward. I will be interested to see what steps the campuses take to mitigate risk, as they no doubt will, for the sake of coaches and players' families as much as for the players themselves. Things will undoubtedly look very different for a while.

What risks? Coaches, expert perhaps strength coach, can stay at a distance. Trainers, just like healthcare workers. Players' families? Most of the players are from out of state. Has any college football player even gotten especially sick from the virus? If players don't have other health problems, and presumably most players don't, they aren't vulnerable at all. The only risk from/for players is that they test positive, and then preventative/corrective measures have to be taken temporarily or even permanently. Also, it will be important to avoid positive tests for players, to keep certain administrators and people from flipping out.

Training, lifting, practicing, and even playing, aren't risky to anyone's health, if the older or less healthy coaches keep their distance. The risk is that players will infect other people outside the program, including their families. Virtually all of that risk is already there now, as the US opens up. For the Griz, training in the big Performance Center, with trainers available, is probably less risky than training in the smaller gym/places they have probably already training in. And now in MT, regular gyms/fitness centers are open. I'd rather have the players lifting/training in the Performance Center, rather than random gyms.

PlayerRep said:
Berkeley_Griz said:

What risks? Coaches, expert perhaps strength coach, can stay at a distance. Trainers, just like healthcare workers. Players' families? Most of the players are from out of state. Has any college football player even gotten especially sick from the virus? If players don't have other health problems, and presumably most players don't, they aren't vulnerable at all. The only risk from/for players is that they test positive, and then preventative/corrective measures have to be taken temporarily or even permanently. Also, it will be important to avoid positive tests for players, to keep certain administrators and people from flipping out.

Training, lifting, practicing, and even playing, aren't risky to anyone's health, if the older or less healthy coaches keep their distance. The risk is that players will infect other people outside the program, including their families. Virtually all of that risk is already there now, as the US opens up. For the Griz, training in the big Performance Center, with trainers available, is probably less risky than training in the smaller gym/places they have probably already training in. And now in MT, regular gyms/fitness centers are open. I'd rather have the players lifting/training in the Performance Center, rather than random gyms.
Just the risk you mention - coaches, strength staff, families, etc. are much more likely to fall into more vulnerable populations, so certain measures will need to be taken, obviously including distancing. I agree the risk to any individual player is probably very low, and the only risk is any one infection rapidly spreading among team members and then potentially reaching to more of those vulnerable people mentioned.

Decent overview from SI if you care to peruse: https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/18/college-football-coronavirus-campus-preparations

PlayerRep said:
Berkeley_Griz said:

Ah, and forgot to say - yes, I agree that I think with proper planning it's much easier to keep the athletes safe working out on campus than leaving them to their own devices elsewhere.

Haslem has already said they are sticking to groups of no more than 10 when on-campus workouts resume even though Phase II allows for more. He also said that they are still making it mandatory for the players who return from out of state to isolate before being allowed into the facilities even though Bullock lifted the quarentine request. He said they may adjust the time frame of that out of state players have to self isolate but that that overall, they are sticking with the plan they already had in place before Montana announced Phase II because they would rather be on the side of caution.

George Ferguson said:
Haslem has already said they are sticking to groups of no more than 10 when on-campus workouts resume even though Phase II allows for more. He also said that they are still making it mandatory for the players who return from out of state to isolate before being allowed into the facilities even though Bullock lifted the quarentine request. He said they may adjust the time frame of that out of state players have to self isolate but that that overall, they are sticking with the plan they already had in place before Montana announced Phase II because they would rather be on the side of caution.

He's as conservative as the Ivy presidents. Sounds unduly cautious to me. Does he really think the players won't be hanging with each other when they return? Does he think that returning players won't lift somewhere for 10 days? At some point, the "safe side" is ridiculous.

now look at this hot pile of garbage:

https://twitter.com/FrankGogola/status/1265782917009231874?s=20

Back