2020-2021 potential scheduling...

Griz & Big Sky Conference Basketball
Brother Bear

----------------------
Dayton Basketball
@DaytonMBB

Dayton is looking to start a series at HOME with a perennial at-large opponent. The potential dates are Nov 13/14, Nov 28/29, and Dec 11/12/13.

Please contact James Haring at [email protected] with interest
----------------------

While the Griz are not an at-large type team, we do pretty good at getting the Auto-bid :)
This would be a great home and home if Griz can make it happen.
Hoops watcher

Not going to do a home and home with us. Even so I'd love to see them play a Dayton at their place, seems success like they are achieving is where te Griz want to be. Be a great measuring stick for the program.
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. -H L Mencken
CleanHOUSE

Brother Bear wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:21 pm
----------------------
Dayton Basketball
@DaytonMBB

Dayton is looking to start a series at HOME with a perennial at-large opponent. The potential dates are Nov 13/14, Nov 28/29, and Dec 11/12/13.

----------------------

While the Griz are not an at-large type team, we do pretty good at getting the Auto-bid :)
Sorry we already have home dates with Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and UNC on those days
Mousegriz

CleanHOUSE wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:05 pm
Brother Bear wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:21 pm
----------------------
Dayton Basketball
@DaytonMBB

----------------------

Sorry we already have home dates with Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and UNC on those days
The annual lose 4 and pick up a couple hundred grand road show for Travis and his wife and kids.
helenaumfan

Mouse,

Would you rather UM schedule a bunch of home games against NAIA teams?
Mousegriz

helenaumfan wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:53 am
Mouse,

No. I love the recent scheduling and creativeness of Decuire becoming pretty well paid. My post was intended to convey that I see Griz and Decuire continuing to have a very tough non-conference road schedule. Would be nice to get a one for two home and road arrangement with a bigger school. Also, amazed we've never played Krysko or Tinkle. Know that's probably more in the their "court" than Decuire's.

Home games vs. NAIA schools aren't all bad either. Carroll gave Griz a couple decent games in the past, Northern played OK for awhile and Tech put a hurt on the Griz this year.
helenaumfan

I misunderstood the tone of your post. I took it as you thought Decuire was scheduling tough just to line his pockets and not to benefit the team.

I agree it would be great to bring stronger competition into Missoula, but the big schools have no incentive to come here.
DPGriz

helenaumfan wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:06 am
I misunderstood the tone of your post. I took it as you thought Decuire was scheduling tough just to line his pockets and not to benefit the team.

I agree it would be great to bring stronger competition into Missoula, but the big schools have no incentive to come here.
Well I would say "lining his pockets" is a major factor in the number of money games we play, not that there's anything wrong with that. TDC deserves a lot of money and this is a good way for the athletic department to ensure that we never get too far over our head while compensating him and his staff. Games against tough, major conference teams are also a great opportunity for exposure for the program and to battle test the team so the incentives of Travis and the program are still in line with this bonus system.

Also, as we all know, the attendance for the non con home games that we are losing out on by playing the Pac 12 games is never quite what we want anyways. Doesn't make a ton of sense to forgo $90k for a buy game in order to schedule home and homes against other small schools that will draw 3k in Dahlberg.
Hoops watcher

helenaumfan wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:06 am

This is the truth. Could we even get a two for one schedule deal from a Dayton or a Creighton? Pretty sure they are looking for peers or say a lower level Big Conference opponent. At least for now it's the program's lot in the pecking order. Hats off to them for taking on tough opponents, journeys and single steps and so on.
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. -H L Mencken
Big Sage

I really wish we would play Gonzaga every year. They are close to home, travel expenses would be less, and the competition is as good as it gets
Zirg

Mousegriz wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:01 am
helenaumfan wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:53 am
Mouse,

No. I love the recent scheduling and creativeness of Decuire becoming pretty well paid. My post was intended to convey that I see Griz and Decuire continuing to have a very tough non-conference road schedule. Would be nice to get a one for two home and road arrangement with a bigger school. Also, amazed we've never played Krysko or Tinkle. Know that's probably more in the their "court" than Decuire's.

Home games vs. NAIA schools aren't all bad either. Carroll gave Griz a couple decent games in the past, Northern played OK for awhile and Tech put a hurt on the Griz this year.
It's pathetic, but not surprising that Krysko and Tinks won't play us. We made them who they are. They know more than anyone how difficult it is for Montana to schedule quality non-conference foes, but I doubt we'll ever play them. They have nothing to gain and too-much (ego) to lose.

Utah beat Mississippi Valley State 143-49 this past season. I am sure that benefitted the Utes much better than playing the Griz. Utah also played Weber from the Big Sky.

Oregon State played Portland St and North Dakota as well as Grambling and Arkansas-Pine Bluff this year.

Gonzaga also played Ark-Pine Bluff (beat em by 50) and North Dakota, as well as Alabama St., but they see no value in playing a close, long-time rival anymore? Go figure!