PlayerRep wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:23 pm
Raider wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:06 pm
Htowngriz wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:45 pm
Raider wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:50 pm

The Griz are 29-7 at home in the playoffs all time (81%)
The Griz are 12-3 against "warm weather teams" at home in the playoffs (80%)

3 of the 7 all time home playoff losses have come to "warm weather teams"

Hmmm, doesn't quite fit the narrative, does it?
Is the narrative that it's impossible for warm weather teams to win here? Don't think I've ever seen anyone claim that here.
Did you read the idiotic article that is being referenced, titled “The Weather Factor”?

It assets that “warm weather teams” are at some major disadvantage here, and haven’t performed well, when in FACT they have the exact same record here as any other team in the playoffs. Many other posters have jumped to the same conclusion, and I’m simply pointing out that is factually incorrect.

Fair enough?
Do you think true warm weather teams are not at a disadvantage at UM in the cold/bad weather?

Do you think UM would have beaten App St in good weather in that 3d round playoff game? I don't.

Both Montana and Appalachian State were impacted in that game. However, ASU is located in the mountains and can receive weather much like what blew in that day. Just a fact, the Grizzlies were beating the Mountaineers that day regardless of the forecast. They had the talent and motivation to make it happen. :twocents:
Survey says: Playoffs are more fun when the Grizzlies are in them.

'68griz

Re: Warm-weather teams haven't fared well in Missoula during playoffs

Post by '68griz » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:19 pm

DoubleNicks wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:05 pm
Is NDSU's home playoff record because of the Fargo weather or because they were always the better team?
For gawd's sake, NDSU plays in a dome!!

pussycatkillerz
eGriz Club

Post by pussycatkillerz » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:36 pm

Griz are 22-4 in home playoff games since 2000.
That's a (.846) winning pct vs playoff calibre teams. I doubt any team in the country outside of NDSU can come close to comparing.

Since Washington Griz was built Montana has a 32-8 (.800) home playoff record.

Pretty damn impressive

DoubleNicks

Post by DoubleNicks » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:13 pm

'68griz wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:19 pm
DoubleNicks wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:05 pm
Is NDSU's home playoff record because of the Fargo weather or because they were always the better team?
For gawd's sake, NDSU plays in a dome!!
:lol: :thumb:

PlayerRep

Post by PlayerRep » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:38 pm

Grizzlies1982 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:36 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Raider wrote:
Htowngriz wrote:

Is the narrative that it's impossible for warm weather teams to win here? Don't think I've ever seen anyone claim that here.
Did you read the idiotic article that is being referenced, titled “The Weather Factor”?

It assets that “warm weather teams” are at some major disadvantage here, and haven’t performed well, when in FACT they have the exact same record here as any other team in the playoffs. Many other posters have jumped to the same conclusion, and I’m simply pointing out that is factually incorrect.

Fair enough?
Do you think true warm weather teams are not at a disadvantage at UM in the cold/bad weather?

Do you think UM would have beaten App St in good weather in that 3d round playoff game? I don't.

Both Montana and Appalachian State were impacted in that game. However, ASU is located in the mountains and can receive weather much like what blew in that day. Just a fact, the Grizzlies were beating the Mountaineers that day regardless of the forecast. They had the talent and motivation to make it happen. :twocents:
Sorry don't agree on their weather. Asssume that team had never played in a blizzard.

AZGrizFan
eGriz Club

Post by AZGrizFan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:43 pm

pussycatkillerz wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:36 pm
That's a (.846) winning pct vs playoff calibre teams. I doubt any team in the country outside of NDSU can come close to comparing.

Pretty damn impressive
Wonder what JMU’s record is. I know of one loss... 8-) 8-)
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

pussycatkillerz
eGriz Club

Post by pussycatkillerz » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:13 pm

AZGrizFan wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:43 pm
pussycatkillerz wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:36 pm

Pretty damn impressive
Wonder what JMU’s record is. I know of one loss... 8-) 8-)
JMU
Since 2000 13-7 (.650)
Since 1986 14-8 (.636)

Raider
eGriz Club

Post by Raider » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:36 am

PlayerRep wrote:
Raider wrote:
Htowngriz wrote:
Raider wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:50 pm

The Griz are 29-7 at home in the playoffs all time (81%)
The Griz are 12-3 against "warm weather teams" at home in the playoffs (80%)

3 of the 7 all time home playoff losses have come to "warm weather teams"

Hmmm, doesn't quite fit the narrative, does it?

Fair enough?

Do I think the Griz beat App St because of the weather? Uhhhh, no. If you do, that’s cool. I respect your opinion.

I’m simply pointing out that the actual records do no support the incessant weather drama. Ironically, the Griz have the EXACT same record against all teams as they do “warm weather teams” in the playoffs. “Warm weather teams” as defined by the dumb ass article in the Missoulian.

Do I think weather can be a factor? Yes, of course it can be. Is it wayyyy overblown here in Missoula? Yes, it is. End rant.
We Are Montana Again!

son-of-info

Post by son-of-info » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:12 am

PlayerRep wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:06 pm
One exception doesn't put anything to rest.
Maybe not, but it is suggestive, and considering the conditions surrounding that game, I find it VERY suggestive.
PlayerRep wrote:
I attribute the cold not being a factor to the preparation by Coastal's very good coach.
This strikes to the heart of the point I was trying to make, Coastal was the better coached/prepared team that day and they won, weather be damned.

PlayerRep

Post by PlayerRep » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:30 am

The title of the article should have been:

"Warm-weather teams haven't fared well in Missoula during playoffs and neither have cold-weather teams"

PlayerRep

Post by PlayerRep » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:35 am

son-of-info wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:12 am
PlayerRep wrote:
One exception doesn't put anything to rest.
Maybe not, but it is suggestive, and considering the conditions surrounding that game, I find it VERY suggestive.
PlayerRep wrote:
I attribute the cold not being a factor to the preparation by Coastal's very good coach.
This strikes to the heart of the point I was trying to make, Coastal was the better coached/prepared team that day and they won, weather be damned.
To me, the second point is unrelated to the first point.

The Coastal coach/team clearly overcame the extreme weather. I don't think most southern teams would have been able to do that, Thus, the exception.

Yes, well-coached. Out-coached, I don't know but maybe.

When 3 of Coastal's TD's were scored in just over 6 minutes at the end of the first half, I'm not sure that that is a coaching problem, as opposed to the Griz making some bad play and Coastal making some good plays, all in a very short period of time.

Again, I do know that Coastal had its best game of the season that day. I was later told by my friend that Coastal didn't play nearly as well the next weekend, and got clobbered.

son-of-info

Post by son-of-info » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:44 am

Dont want my point to be lost in the minutia. All I'm saying is credit where credit is due, Griz tend to prevail in these games because they are the better team, and the inverse can be true as well. Now the fact that the better team doesnt always win and why can be its own thread...