Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Get the low down on Griz Football and the FCS
User avatar
BWahlberg
eGriz Club
Posts: 25087
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:53 pm
Location: Missoula

Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by BWahlberg » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:49 pm

Saw this tweet today:



Not sure the cause. He was a good running back, and on the only Big Sky team to beat the Griz in conference play between 06-09. Not sure the cause, I recall his playing days were mired with some alcohol related issues. I believe I saw he was 32, and leaves behind a wife and 4 kids. Sad news.
Griz practice and news updates http://twitter.com/Bwahlberg

Brint Wahlberg - Realtor, Windermere Real Estate

The official REALTOR(R) of Grizzly Athletics
Image

SaskGriz
Posts: 1835
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:55 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by SaskGriz » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:04 pm

RIP and condolences to his family.

User avatar
CDAGRIZ
eGriz Club
Posts: 15599
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: West Coast

Re: Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by CDAGRIZ » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:38 pm

Well, that sucks. Hate to hear about the family left behind. Can’t even imagine. RIP.

User avatar
stilwtrgrizz
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:02 pm
Location: Townsend, MT

Re: Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by stilwtrgrizz » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:07 pm

CDAGRIZ wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:38 pm
Well, that sucks. Hate to hear about the family left behind. Can’t even imagine. RIP.
This......
“Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.”
― Betty White

User avatar
Hells bells
eGriz Club
Posts: 5154
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT

Re: Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by Hells bells » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:17 am

He was fun to watch. Prayers up to his family
This space for rent

'68griz
Posts: 10178
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:52 pm
Location: Missoula

Re: Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by '68griz » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Tragic news.

User avatar
Proud Griz Man
eGriz Club
Posts: 4934
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:50 am

Re: Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by Proud Griz Man » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:38 pm

Condolences to his friends + family. He will be remembered in MT as a Great competitor.

User avatar
EverettGriz
eGriz Club
Posts: 20121
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Mill Creek, WA

Re: Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by EverettGriz » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:06 pm

Horrible news. Dude was a beast.

Prayers for his family.
Booze is the duct tape of life.

User avatar
CatzWillRise
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:31 am

Re: Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by CatzWillRise » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:24 pm

One of my favorites to watch in the Big Sky.

Looks like he may have been arrested just a week ago on the 1st, assuming he is 32 year old Trevyn Reed Smith in SLC.
"What kind of losers put quotes of other posters in their avatars?" - PlayerRep

go96griz
Posts: 1613
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:57 pm

Re: Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by go96griz » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:40 pm

This is too bad! He was a tough football player. I couldn't find anything from the past week as noted by Catz, but it does appear Trevyn was recently arrested on 3/28/19 for several drug-related offenses:

https://www.policearrests.com/arrests/t ... 51252.html

poorgriz
Posts: 3236
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:11 pm

Re: Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by poorgriz » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:49 pm

go96griz wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:40 pm
This is too bad! He was a tough football player. I couldn't find anything from the past week as noted by Catz, but it does appear Trevyn was recently arrested on 3/28/19 for several drug-related offenses:

https://www.policearrests.com/arrests/t ... 51252.html
Not a lot of details in there but it would sure be a crying shame if the "drugs" he got in trouble for there were just cannabis charges.
Bobby Hauck is God. He's not a God... he's the God.

SWeberCat02
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:07 am

Re: Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by SWeberCat02 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:58 pm

Sad news indeed. Much too young. Being married and having several kids makes it even more tragic. Thoughts to his family.

Trevyn exceeded all expectations as a football player. Had an outstanding High School career but wasn't highly recruited due mainly to his size. Once at Weber he became the best RB in school history and one of the best in conference history. His 2008 season was one of the best is conference history and it could be argued that he should have won the Payton award that season. That 2008 team under Coach McBride renewed my love of Weber St football and was a really fun team to follow with the crazy offensive numbers they put up. That season ended in Missoula with a loss to the Griz in the 2nd Round of the playoffs.

PlayerRep
Posts: 23875
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by PlayerRep » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:45 pm

SWeberCat02 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:58 pm
Sad news indeed. Much too young. Being married and having several kids makes it even more tragic. Thoughts to his family.

Trevyn exceeded all expectations as a football player. Had an outstanding High School career but wasn't highly recruited due mainly to his size. Once at Weber he became the best RB in school history and one of the best in conference history. His 2008 season was one of the best is conference history and it could be argued that he should have won the Payton award that season. That 2008 team under Coach McBride renewed my love of Weber St football and was a really fun team to follow with the crazy offensive numbers they put up. That season ended in Missoula with a loss to the Griz in the 2nd Round of the playoffs.
Nice summary. Thanks. What happened?

tourist
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:20 am

Re: Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by tourist » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:58 pm

Just looking at the charges, Driving W/O a license shows previous problems. Just sayn...

dbackjon
Posts: 666
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:46 am
Location: Chandler, AZ

Re: Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by dbackjon » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:45 am

Very sad
Lumberjacks!

Gaeilge1
Posts: 1365
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:15 am

Re: Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by Gaeilge1 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:27 pm

Sad indeed! Prayers go out to his family and all who knew him. It amazes me that he played a decade ago!

User avatar
CatzWillRise
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:31 am

Re: Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by CatzWillRise » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:38 pm

go96griz wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:40 pm
This is too bad! He was a tough football player. I couldn't find anything from the past week as noted by Catz, but it does appear Trevyn was recently arrested on 3/28/19 for several drug-related offenses:

https://www.policearrests.com/arrests/t ... 51252.html
https://www.policearrests.com/names/trevyn/smith/ it's the first record when you scroll down a bit.
"What kind of losers put quotes of other posters in their avatars?" - PlayerRep

User avatar
kemajic
eGriz Club
Posts: 11870
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:18 pm
Location: Columbus

Re: Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by kemajic » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:57 pm

Gaeilge1 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:27 pm
Sad indeed! Prayers go out to his family and all who knew him. It amazes me that he played a decade ago!
TS carved up a very good UM team as a junior in Oct. 2008 on a rainy day in Ogden, embarrassing a team that would later knock off undefeated #1 JMU in their house to advance to the NC game. Sophomore Chase Reynolds returned the favor in Missoula in December and then again in 2009, amassing 427 yards rushing in those two games. It seemed TS played at Weber for 10 years; he was a man among boys.
Last edited by kemajic on Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I woke up still not dead again today." - Willie Nelson

'68griz
Posts: 10178
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:52 pm
Location: Missoula

Re: Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by '68griz » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:22 am

kemajic wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:57 pm
Gaeilge1 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:27 pm
Sad indeed! Prayers go out to his family and all who knew him. It amazes me that he played a decade ago!
TS carved up a very good UM team as a junior in Oct. 2008 on a rainy day in Provo, embarrassing a team that would later knock off undefeated #1 JMU in their house to advance to the NC game. Sophomore Chase Reynolds returned the favor in Missoula in December and then again in 2009, amassing 427 yards rushing in those two games. It seemed TS played at Weber for 10 years; he was a man among boys.
FWIW, Ogden, not Provo. And, yes, I was there on that miserable day ... with no coffee to be had in the stadium.

User avatar
bgbigdog
eGriz Club
Posts: 5022
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:53 am
Location: US

Re: Trevyn Smith, former Weber State RB passes away

Post by bgbigdog » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:41 am

'68griz wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:22 am
kemajic wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:57 pm
Gaeilge1 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:27 pm
Sad indeed! Prayers go out to his family and all who knew him. It amazes me that he played a decade ago!
TS carved up a very good UM team as a junior in Oct. 2008 on a rainy day in Provo, embarrassing a team that would later knock off undefeated #1 JMU in their house to advance to the NC game. Sophomore Chase Reynolds returned the favor in Missoula in December and then again in 2009, amassing 427 yards rushing in those two games. It seemed TS played at Weber for 10 years; he was a man among boys.
FWIW, Ogden, not Provo. And, yes, I was there on that miserable day ... with no coffee to be had in the stadium.
And there it is. :lol:
“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.” Groucho Marx.

Post Reply