Rule changes

Grizzly Basketball and Big Sky Conference Hoops
grizindabox
eGriz Club

Rule changes

Post by grizindabox » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:57 pm

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... ernational

Moving the 3 point line to the International distance and the shot clock only resets to 20 seconds on offensive rebounds in the front court.

maroonandsilver
eGriz Club

Re: Rule changes

Post by maroonandsilver » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:45 pm

Waiting for the NCAA to decide on line changes has been a major reason for the hold-up in installing a new court in Adams Center. Now, I expect the new court to be installed before the upcoming season.

Griz1

Post by Griz1 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:16 pm

Does this change affect the woman’s three point line? It looks like it only affects the men. If so we will have a couple of different lines for the three point goals. That will be another challenge for the referees. I would think they would have the lines be the same but then again NCAA and logic don’t run hand in hand imo.

maroonandsilver
eGriz Club

Post by maroonandsilver » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:06 pm

Griz1 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:16 pm
Does this change affect the woman’s three point line? It looks like it only affects the men. If so we will have a couple of different lines for the three point goals. That will be another challenge for the referees. I would think they would have the lines be the same but then again NCAA and logic don’t run hand in hand imo.
The rules changes were made by the Men's Basketball Rules Committee, so I would guess the changes
are only for the Men. Unless the Women's Basketball Rules Committee decides to follow suit.

Other proposed changes were to extend the width of the key to NBA size, and go to quarters like every other basketball entity in the universe. Since those changes weren't named in the article, I guess they weren't approved.

Mousegriz

Post by Mousegriz » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:12 pm

maroonandsilver wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:45 pm
Waiting for the NCAA to decide on line changes has been a major reason for the hold-up in installing a new court in Adams Center. Now, I expect the new court to be installed before the upcoming season.
I thought they re-did the hardwood floor not that many years ago. Maybe re-finish and repaint the lines but can't imagine they plan to replace the entire hardwood floor.

maroonandsilver
eGriz Club

Post by maroonandsilver » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:27 pm

Mousegriz wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:12 pm
maroonandsilver wrote:
I thought they re-did the hardwood floor not that many years ago. Maybe re-finish and repaint the lines but can't imagine they plan to replace the entire hardwood floor.
The floor was damaged by a burst pipe (and 30-40 thousand gallons of water) a few years ago. It was dismantled and taken up to dry, but has never been the same. Replacement has been on the wish list for at least 3 years. Someone who attended the GSA meet in Billings posted on e-Griz that Haslam announced at that event that the floor replacement would happen this year.

Mousegriz

Post by Mousegriz » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:04 pm

maroonandsilver wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:27 pm
Mousegriz wrote:
maroonandsilver wrote:
The floor was damaged by a burst pipe (and 30-40 thousand gallons of water) a few years ago. It was dismantled and taken up to dry, but has never been the same. Replacement has been on the wish list for at least 3 years. Someone who attended the GSA meet in Billings posted on e-Griz that Haslam announced at that event that the floor replacement would happen this year.
Didn't know that. Wonder if insurance covers any of the replacement. If not...that was an expensive leak.

MissoulaMarinerFan

Post by MissoulaMarinerFan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:56 pm

maroonandsilver wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:27 pm
Mousegriz wrote:
maroonandsilver wrote:
I thought I had heard at one point they were going to do it last year (or 2 years ago?), but they held off because of the new jumbo-tron/video board install.

fanofzoo

Post by fanofzoo » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:07 pm

The panel approved a proposal where players will be assessed a technical foul should they use derogatory language about an opponent’s race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identify, sexual orientation or disability.

Can't even trash talk, whats the world coming to.

grizindabox
eGriz Club

Post by grizindabox » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:18 am

fanofzoo wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:07 pm
The panel approved a proposal where players will be assessed a technical foul should they use derogatory language about an opponent’s race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identify, sexual orientation or disability.

Can't even trash talk, whats the world coming to.
They left out fat jokes.

717s7e

Post by 717s7e » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:51 am

Another minor change is that after a foul by a defender at the offensive end of the court, the offensive team will only get 20 seconds put on the shot clock rather than the 30 seconds that we are used to.

The women are keeping their 3 point line but want to consider the international line for another year.

Zirg

Post by Zirg » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:58 pm

Griz1 wrote:
This is an honest question. Do NCAA women still use a smaller ball than the men?

Zirg

Post by Zirg » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:09 am

I am ALL for a further 3-point line. Every Tom, Dick and Harry shoots 3's now and that trend is only skyrocketing, although clueless players like Jordan Hasquet and Andrew Wiggins never lost their affinity for shooting a 21 foot 2-point shot 6 times/game, and that is why they both were (and are) ineffective basketball players in this modern game. At one time it was a unique skill, but now the 3 point line and it's continued uptick in shot percentage is ruining basketball, IMO. I guess I am that one guy that still appreciates the occasional dunk. Call me Crazy.

TrueGriz

Post by TrueGriz » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:14 am

Zirg wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:58 pm
Griz1 wrote:
This is an honest question. Do NCAA women still use a smaller ball than the men?
Yes
Once A Griz, Always A Griz.

AllWeatherFan
eGriz Club

Post by AllWeatherFan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:36 pm

How will moving the three-point line impact the game? Will coaches place more emphasis on pounding the ball inside, or will they recruit shooters with more range? Or both?
Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening.