GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Grizzly Basketball and Big Sky Conference Hoops
PlayerRep
Posts: 23632
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Post by PlayerRep » Fri May 03, 2019 11:47 am

"It’s the fourth stop overall for Hardnett, a native of Gulfport, Mississippi, who also played at Chipola College and Fordham before arriving in Provo."

I read that he plans to graduate this summer. Hopefully, he can do an online course or two, or finish early in summer, in order to get to Missoula to play with the guys.

6'185 on his BYU bio: https://byucougars.com/athlete/m-basket ... e-Hardnett

82% free throw shooter last season, or at least as of these stats: https://byucougars.com/dl/sites/default ... 030919.pdf

User avatar
WaGriz4life
Posts: 3789
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:48 pm
Location: Montana

Re: GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Post by WaGriz4life » Fri May 03, 2019 7:33 pm

Spanky2 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:36 am
Anderson is more of a talent for the future, thus, redshirting may be best.
It’s hilarious to me that some of you think guys get better by not playing. Stunting his growth by redshirting him would be the dumbest thing we could do.

User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 23060
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Texas

Re: GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Post by AZGrizFan » Fri May 03, 2019 7:41 pm

WaGriz4life wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:33 pm
Spanky2 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:36 am
Anderson is more of a talent for the future, thus, redshirting may be best.
It’s hilarious to me that some of you think guys get better by not playing. Stunting his growth by redshirting him would be the dumbest thing we could do.
I agree. He was getting consistently better as the season wore on...he needs to play.
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

User avatar
WaGriz4life
Posts: 3789
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:48 pm
Location: Montana

Re: GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Post by WaGriz4life » Fri May 03, 2019 8:12 pm

AZGrizFan wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:41 pm
WaGriz4life wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:33 pm
Spanky2 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:36 am
Anderson is more of a talent for the future, thus, redshirting may be best.
It’s hilarious to me that some of you think guys get better by not playing. Stunting his growth by redshirting him would be the dumbest thing we could do.
I agree. He was getting consistently better as the season wore on...he needs to play.
YES

dayday
eGriz Club
Posts: 1636
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Re: GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Post by dayday » Fri May 03, 2019 9:36 pm


mtgrizrule
Posts: 19913
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Missoula/Denver

Re: GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Post by mtgrizrule » Sat May 04, 2019 3:57 am

I really like him for the GRIZ. With the graduation of Rorie, my biggest concern going into next season was replacing Rorie's ability to take care of the ball and run the offense. Falls is a dynamic passer and terrific on the ball defender, but needs to cut down on turnovers to be the lead pg. Pridgett is capable of running the offense as well, but turnovers have been a problem for him too. We don't know what Egun will bring. Vasquez is a true Freshman and will take time to adjust. Manuel is more of a true Shooting guard.

Hardnett brings much needed PG experience. At worse, his presence will force the others to step of their games and better take care of the ball. Fact is, DeCuire's PG must value the ball and minimize turnovers. Our returning guards, have yet to prove they can do that consistently. Plus, Pridgett is too valuable as an inside outside threat and rebounder. His versatility cannot be as utilized when running the point.

Terrific addition, great job coaches. Welcome to GRIZ NATION Jahshire and family.
Thank you all. God Bless every soldier fighting for our country!!!!
Health issues, major and minor...increase the productivity of your NRF1 and NRF2. Here is my business website to see the products. http://rbidwell.lifevantage.com/

Spanky2
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Post by Spanky2 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:10 am

WaGriz4life wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:33 pm
Spanky2 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:36 am
Anderson is more of a talent for the future, thus, redshirting may be best.
It’s hilarious to me that some of you think guys get better by not playing. Stunting his growth by redshirting him would be the dumbest thing we could do.
I understand your point of view and hope you are correct. I hope we don’t play anyone just because they are from Montana.

717s7e
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Post by 717s7e » Sat May 04, 2019 4:38 pm

Both Larry K and Daren Engellant missed the opportunity for a redshirt. They were just starting to develop when they graduated. An extra yer would have done wonders for them. But, I admit, that is just an opinion.

Griz1
Posts: 980
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:05 pm

Re: GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Post by Griz1 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:12 pm

717s7e wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:38 pm
Both Larry K and Daren Engellant missed the opportunity for a redshirt. They were just starting to develop when they graduated. An extra yer would have done wonders for them. But, I admit, that is just an opinion.
I understand you have an opinion on Larry K and Daren Engellant not redshirting. I am not trying to start an argument however I am not quite sure I understand your comment "just starting to develop". How much better were they supposed to get. Larry K was freshman of the year and MVP of the Big Sky his sophomore, junior and senior years along with being First Team All Big Sky honors. He was also a 3 time Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American. He was invited to try out for the USA Olympic team between his junior and his senior year by none other than Bobby Knight. It turned out that he was one for the last players cut. Charles Barkley was cut before him. He was drafted into the NBA right after his senior season. How much more could he have developed? Daren Engellant was First Team All Big Sky three years - his sophomore, junior and senior years. Sounds to me that he did just fine too.

User avatar
WaGriz4life
Posts: 3789
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:48 pm
Location: Montana

Re: GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Post by WaGriz4life » Sun May 05, 2019 12:37 am

Griz1 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:12 pm
717s7e wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:38 pm
Both Larry K and Daren Engellant missed the opportunity for a redshirt. They were just starting to develop when they graduated. An extra yer would have done wonders for them. But, I admit, that is just an opinion.
I understand you have an opinion on Larry K and Daren Engellant not redshirting. I am not trying to start an argument however I am not quite sure I understand your comment "just starting to develop". How much better were they supposed to get. Larry K was freshman of the year and MVP of the Big Sky his sophomore, junior and senior years along with being First Team All Big Sky honors. He was also a 3 time Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American. He was invited to try out for the USA Olympic team between his junior and his senior year by none other than Bobby Knight. It turned out that he was one for the last players cut. Charles Barkley was cut before him. He was drafted into the NBA right after his senior season. How much more could he have developed? Daren Engellant was First Team All Big Sky three years - his sophomore, junior and senior years. Sounds to me that he did just fine too.
He wouldn’t have developed anymore by not playing. The only reason you redshirt is because the guy is not ready yet, and can’t help you.

Spanky2
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Post by Spanky2 » Sun May 05, 2019 5:40 am

What does it mean if a player doesn’t catch the ball on a consistent basis.

User avatar
GrizWhiz
Posts: 3361
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2002 5:00 pm

Re: GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Post by GrizWhiz » Sun May 05, 2019 8:44 am

I remember Larry K saying when you took a player off of redshirt, you were substituting his worst year for his best year. This conversation pertained to his thoughts regarding taking Jordan Hasquest off of his redshirt year early in his true freshman season.

grizindabox
eGriz Club
Posts: 14102
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 10:54 pm
Location: Spokane, WA

Re: GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Post by grizindabox » Sun May 05, 2019 9:36 am

WaGriz4life wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:37 am


He wouldn’t have developed anymore by not playing. The only reason you redshirt is because the guy is not ready yet, and can’t help you.
The bolded is the most important part, and with the lack of bigs, he will be very helpful. I don't see any reason to redshirt Anderson unless a) he gets injured or b) he regresses between now and game 1.

mtgrizrule
Posts: 19913
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Missoula/Denver

Re: GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Post by mtgrizrule » Sun May 05, 2019 7:22 pm

Spanky2 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:40 am
What does it mean if a player doesn’t catch the ball on a consistent basis.
Anderson doesn't have that problem, in my opinion. Not really sure who on the current roster you are referring to.
Thank you all. God Bless every soldier fighting for our country!!!!
Health issues, major and minor...increase the productivity of your NRF1 and NRF2. Here is my business website to see the products. http://rbidwell.lifevantage.com/

cmtgrizzly
Posts: 1962
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:43 am
Location: Great Falls

Re: GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Post by cmtgrizzly » Sun May 05, 2019 7:37 pm

If we were going to red shirt Mack it should have been this year. Let him put on some muscle and develop some more footwork. I think that time has passed and he has shown he can help us now amd even moreso by next year. I cant imagine TDC would be considering red shirting him now.

dayday
eGriz Club
Posts: 1636
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Re: GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Post by dayday » Sun May 05, 2019 9:50 pm

cmtgrizzly wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:37 pm
If we were going to red shirt Mack it should have been this year. Let him put on some muscle and develop some more footwork. I think that time has passed and he has shown he can help us now amd even moreso by next year. I cant imagine TDC would be considering red shirting him now.
Agreed he will be needed next year. I believe the original plan was to redshirt him this past year but with the injury problems to Akoh and the other bigs inability to hedge on the pick and rolls made it not to be. So I think that ship has sailed barring injury and I don’t it is a bad thing. Anderson proved he was farther ahead then most anticipated and he will only get better the next 3 years.

User avatar
WaGriz4life
Posts: 3789
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:48 pm
Location: Montana

Re: GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Post by WaGriz4life » Thu May 16, 2019 11:36 pm

dayday wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:50 pm
cmtgrizzly wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:37 pm
If we were going to red shirt Mack it should have been this year. Let him put on some muscle and develop some more footwork. I think that time has passed and he has shown he can help us now amd even moreso by next year. I cant imagine TDC would be considering red shirting him now.
Agreed he will be needed next year. I believe the original plan was to redshirt him this past year but with the injury problems to Akoh and the other bigs inability to hedge on the pick and rolls made it not to be. So I think that ship has sailed barring injury and I don’t it is a bad thing. Anderson proved he was farther ahead then most anticipated and he will only get better the next 3 years.
Correct

flatheadgriz406
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:01 am

Re: GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Post by flatheadgriz406 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:20 am

Nice article from skyline. This kid is just what the doctor ordered from an experienced ball handler to help take the pressure off Timmy. I think Vasques will be in the mix for this as well. He has obviously had issues with coaching staffs in the past, it will be interesting if he gets beat out by a younger guy for playing time if he stays engaged.

https://skylinesportsmt.com/byu-transfe ... s-montana/

Colter_Nuanez56
Posts: 1661
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:31 am
Location: skylinesportsmt.com
Contact:

Re: GRAD Transfer: G- Jahshire Hardnett (BYU)

Post by Colter_Nuanez56 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:49 pm

flatheadgriz406 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:20 am
Nice article from skyline. This kid is just what the doctor ordered from an experienced ball handler to help take the pressure off Timmy. I think Vasques will be in the mix for this as well. He has obviously had issues with coaching staffs in the past, it will be interesting if he gets beat out by a younger guy for playing time if he stays engaged.

https://skylinesportsmt.com/byu-transfe ... s-montana/

TWITTER:@Skylinesportsmt
FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/skylinesportsmt1
BIG SKY BREAKDOWN ON ITUNES
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/big ... 1131856462
SUBSCRIBE TO SKYLINE SPORTS
https://skylinesportsmt.com/subscriptions/

Post Reply