AZGrizFan wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:14 pm
Walkon79 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:59 pm
Spanky2 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:16 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:01 pm
Compared to some games of yours I watched early on where your line looked terrible, come cat griz I was actually pretty impressed. They improved a ton. Get some guys healthy and I don’t think this will be a position of huge concern for you going into 2019.
Maybe we didn’t watch the same game?
Maybe more a sign of conditioning than talent, IMO. The Cats OL and DL wore down their Griz counterparts in the second half.
Well, considering we were 10-1 if games had stopped after 3 quarters you might be onto something. :oops: :oops:
Conditioning and depth. Both sides of the line.
"I woke up still not dead again today." - Willie Nelson

PlayerRep

Re: Offensive Line

Post by PlayerRep » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:24 pm

I think the team was very well-conditioned. Players I talked to said they had never been pushed so hard on conditioning. It had to have been the depth.

Hauck commented on lack of depth from the get-go. Also, he said after the first game that they had probably made a mistake playing too many players for too long, tiring them out, and then not having them with enough gas at the end. But they hung on in that game.

My guess is that due to lack of depth in certain positions, they weren't able to sub as much as they wanted to, to head off this late in the game problem. Recall that Hauck used to essentially platoon 2 teams on defense in his first stint.

As you know, I really can't imagine the the 4th quarter/late game problem was that the coaches forgot to coach as the game went on. Also, I noticed in the quarter by quarter opponent scoring stats recently that the Griz didn't give up many points in the 3d quarter this year. But, man, the 4th quarter was awful.

AZGrizFan
eGriz Club

Post by AZGrizFan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:43 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:24 pm
I think the team was very well-conditioned. Players I talked to said they had never been pushed so hard on conditioning. It had to have been the depth.

Hauck commented on lack of depth from the get-go. Also, he said after the first game that they had probably made a mistake playing too many players for too long, tiring them out, and then not having them with enough gas at the end. But they hung on in that game.

My guess is that due to lack of depth in certain positions, they weren't able to sub as much as they wanted to, to head off this late in the game problem. Recall that Hauck used to essentially platoon 2 teams on defense in his first stint.

As you know, I really can't imagine the the 4th quarter/late game problem was that the coaches forgot to coach as the game went on. Also, I noticed in the quarter by quarter opponent scoring stats recently that the Griz didn't give up many points in the 3d quarter this year. But, man, the 4th quarter was awful.
Makes you wonder...especially in the last four games of the year....lots of true freshmen sitting unused on the bench. What’s worse a gassed starting LT or a fresh Tyler Ganoung? Or a fresh Sean Anderson? We saw what happened when Calhoun had to run two long routes back to back. He was beaten by 4 steps for an easy TD. Gotta think even a slightly less skilled player with fresh legs is gonna be more productive.
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

SoldierGriz
eGriz Club

Post by SoldierGriz » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:21 pm

AZGrizFan wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:43 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:24 pm

Makes you wonder...especially in the last four games of the year....lots of true freshmen sitting unused on the bench. What’s worse a gassed starting LT or a fresh Tyler Ganoung? Or a fresh Sean Anderson? We saw what happened when Calhoun had to run two long routes back to back. He was beaten by 4 steps for an easy TD. Gotta think even a slightly less skilled player with fresh legs is gonna be more productive.
I read an article - I can't find it anymore - that said Nebraska's starting offensive linemen played 95% of the snaps this season. Yes - I get Nebraska is down.

But, I'm not sure teams rotate offensive linemen the way they do defensive linemen. Depth is and obviously was an issue when dealing with injuries.
FTc, FTv, FTmissoulian

grizindabox
eGriz Club

Post by grizindabox » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:45 pm

You don't see OL substitutions very often, with the main reason being that an OL must be very cohesive. And I don't really bye the "OL was tired excuse" for the very fact, that the OL pretty much works in a 5 yard area of space in short bursts.

CrunchGriz

Post by CrunchGriz » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:07 pm

grizindabox wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:45 pm
You don't see OL substitutions very often, with the main reason being that an OL must be very cohesive. And I don't really bye the "OL was tired excuse" for the very fact, that the OL pretty much works in a 5 yard area of space in short bursts.
On the other hand, if an O-lineman is overmatched physically, you're durn tootin' that he will be tired by the fourth quarter. See: 4th Quarter 2018 Griz Meltdowns, Plural.

Happens when you're trying to put players who were not recruited as OL in as OL out of necessity when they M-I-G-H-T not have the size or skills to play on the OL at this level, no matter how much heart they have.

bgbigdog
eGriz Club

Post by bgbigdog » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:38 pm

grizindabox wrote:
I’d agree with the continuity issue as being the critical factor in the number of snaps a lineman needs to play. But you’re wrong to think 65-85 instances of hand-to-hand combat in a no-huddle offense isn’t tiring.
“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.” Groucho Marx.

Spanky2

Post by Spanky2 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:18 am

bgbigdog wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:38 pm
grizindabox wrote:
I’d agree with the continuity issue as being the critical factor in the number of snaps a lineman needs to play. But you’re wrong to think 65-85 instances of hand-to-hand combat in a no-huddle offense isn’t tiring.
Box probably never played the game.

BozAngelesGriz

Post by BozAngelesGriz » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:41 am

Spanky2 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:18 am
bgbigdog wrote:
grizindabox wrote:
played some OL in high school. late-game pass blocking wasn't nearly as difficult as late-game run blocking. often times, when you have the lead, (quality) late-game run blocking is the ticket to win.
"Stay on target"

grizindabox
eGriz Club

Post by grizindabox » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:02 pm

Spanky2 wrote:
bgbigdog wrote:
grizindabox wrote:
Or Spanky hasn't played the game in over half a decade.

Spanky2

Post by Spanky2 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:00 pm

True, but Spanky played the game.

grizindabox
eGriz Club

Post by grizindabox » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:54 pm

Spanky2 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:00 pm
True, but Spanky played the game.
That would make 2 of us then

Spanky2

Post by Spanky2 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:55 pm

Ok, good

CDAGRIZ
eGriz Club

Post by CDAGRIZ » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:58 pm

grizindabox wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:02 pm
Spanky2 wrote:
bgbigdog wrote:
grizindabox wrote:
Decade?

AZGrizFan
eGriz Club

Post by AZGrizFan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:04 pm

CDAGRIZ wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:58 pm
grizindabox wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:02 pm
Spanky2 wrote:
bgbigdog wrote:

Decade?
Me thinks he meant “century”. :lol:
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

grizindabox
eGriz Club

Post by grizindabox » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:51 pm

My multitasking ability failed me.

mtgrizrule

Post by mtgrizrule » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:57 pm

DAMN, it's official. The GRIZ have gone to hell, if Spanky is playing OL for us! Speaking of gone to hell, so has this thread.
Thank you all. God Bless every soldier fighting for our country!!!!
Health issues, major and minor...increase the productivity of your NRF1 and NRF2. Here is my business website to see the products. http://rbidwell.lifevantage.com/

CDAGRIZ
eGriz Club

Post by CDAGRIZ » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:58 pm

grizindabox wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:51 pm
My multitasking ability failed me.
You were still technically correct.

Spanky2

Post by Spanky2 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:18 pm

Well, many of you fellas said we can’t recruit JC transfers for the OL. Now we are.

grizindabox
eGriz Club

Post by grizindabox » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:30 pm

Spanky2 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:18 pm
Well, many of you fellas said we can’t recruit JC transfers for the OL. Now we are.
No one ever said that.