The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Get the low down on Griz Football and the FCS
MiningCityGrizFan

The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by MiningCityGrizFan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:08 pm

The called handoff to a TE on the goal line.

The Griz were set up to make it a 7-point game, but for some unexplained reason, with a senior RB who has scored 26 TDs as a Grizzly (many in short-yardage, goal-line situations), the coaches decide to give the ball to Collin Bingham. A tight end who had never taken a handoff before then. At least not in college.

He subsequently fumbles and ND marches 98 yards to go up 21-0.

I get that Calhoun was in the doghouse to start the season because of the fight and the subsequent legal problems, but the kid has paid his dues. The staff put him on the 2-deep. He was flown to the game. He was ready to go.

SO WHY IN THE HELL DIDN'T ROSENBACH JUST HAVE HIS QB HAND THE BALL TO THE EXPERIENCED, VETERAN SENIOR RUNNING BACK?! WHY DID HE ONCE AGAIN HAVE TO GET CUTE (I'M STILL PISSED ABOUT THAT FAILED 2-PT CONVERSION LAST WEEK).

COACH HAUCK -- CAN YOU PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE STOP WITH THE PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE COACHING BULLS**T, STOP WITH THE HEAD GAMES, STOP PLAYING FAVORITES, START PUTTING YOUR BEST GOD D**N PLAYERS ON THE FIELD AND GIVE THEM THE BEST OPPORTUNITY TO COMPETE?!
You can take the man out of Butte, but you can't take Butte out of the man.

eBay Stuff: Grizzlies | Bobcats | App State

nzone

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by nzone » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:12 pm

I Agee with this post.

grizaremoregooder

Post by grizaremoregooder » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:12 pm

How bout " don't fumble the damn ball".

EverettGriz
eGriz Club

Post by EverettGriz » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:13 pm

Coaching. Neither the team nor the staff is good enough to get cute.
Booze is the duct tape of life.

pussycatkillerz
eGriz Club

Post by pussycatkillerz » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:13 pm

...yep, that fumble on the 1 was completely demoralizing. I was dumbfounded Eastwood or Calhoun wern't in on that play.
Last edited by pussycatkillerz on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stilwtrgrizz

Post by stilwtrgrizz » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:14 pm

IMO, there was a hell of a lot more than just that call that cost us the game, but I sure do agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post! :clap:
“Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.”
― Betty White

grizindabox
eGriz Club

Post by grizindabox » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:14 pm

I think it is cute that you think that this play, and only this play, is what lost the game.

MiningCityGrizFan

Post by MiningCityGrizFan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:21 pm

grizindabox wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:14 pm
I think it is cute that you think that this play, and only this play, is what lost the game.
Oh hell, there were a shit ton of other plays that contributed, but the timing of that play was the biggest in my mind.

The unwillingness to play Humphrey sooner while they still had a chance to compete wasn't a play, but also contributed to the loss. The last two losses actually.
You can take the man out of Butte, but you can't take Butte out of the man.

eBay Stuff: Grizzlies | Bobcats | App State

grizzpa

Post by grizzpa » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:23 pm

Well - do you agree it was a significant momentum swing? It was huge - 14 to 7 became 21 to 0.
Opened the floodgates....

Ursus1
eGriz Club

Post by Ursus1 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:24 pm

Tried to get tricky handing off to a TE in at st FB position was stupid. Rosy is showing why maybe Adam's State was a good place for him.

HookedonGriz
eGriz Club

Post by HookedonGriz » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:29 pm

Couldn’t agree more. 2 Play calls back to back weeks that looked like NAIA non experienced shit. Just run what you run for eff sake.

retiredpopo

Post by retiredpopo » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:33 pm

I think the momentum swing was the fact that they freaking were able to drive the full distance of the field after the fumble not the fumble or the missed score.

zengriz
eGriz Club

Post by zengriz » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:52 pm

...the first turnover...
...the pass interception...
...thrown into a subway crowd...

... :shock: ...

cclarkblues

Post by cclarkblues » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:56 pm

I thought we had a fullback or two.
The Dude Abides

lochlaven

Post by lochlaven » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:00 pm

pussycatkillerz wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:13 pm
...yep, that fumble on the 1 was completely demoralizing. I was dumbfounded Eastwood or Calhoun wern't in on that play.
" dumbfounded". Second game in a row. Befuddled, confused, stumped, at a loss, dazed, lost, and baffled. Not on suicide watch but the coaching staff should be ashamed of themselves.

ordigger
eGriz Club

Post by ordigger » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:11 pm

MiningCityGrizFan wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:08 pm

The Griz were set up to make it a 7-point game, but for some unexplained reason, with a senior RB who has scored 26 TDs as a Grizzly (many in short-yardage, goal-line situations), the coaches decide to give the ball to Collin Bingham. A tight end who had never taken a handoff before then. At least not in college.

I get that Calhoun was in the doghouse to start the season because of the fight and the subsequent legal problems, but the kid has paid his dues. The staff put him on the 2-deep. He was flown to the game. He was ready to go.

SO WHY IN THE HELL DIDN'T ROSENBACH JUST HAVE HIS QB HAND THE BALL TO THE EXPERIENCED, VETERAN SENIOR RUNNING BACK?! WHY DID HE ONCE AGAIN HAVE TO GET CUTE (I'M STILL PISSED ABOUT THAT FAILED 2-PT CONVERSION LAST WEEK).

COACH HAUCK -- CAN YOU PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE STOP WITH THE PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE COACHING BULLS**T, STOP WITH THE HEAD GAMES, STOP PLAYING FAVORITES, START PUTTING YOUR BEST GOD D**N PLAYERS ON THE FIELD AND GIVE THEM THE BEST OPPORTUNITY TO COMPETE?!
It does seem at times Hauck gets a little to cute with his plays. Last week that stupid 2 point try contributed to that loss.

PlayerRep

Post by PlayerRep » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:15 pm

ordigger wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:11 pm
MiningCityGrizFan wrote:

It does seem at times Hauck gets a little to cute with his plays. Last week that stupid 2 point try contributed to that loss.
Do you think Hauck called that play? I don't.

ordigger
eGriz Club

Post by ordigger » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:16 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:15 pm
ordigger wrote:
MiningCityGrizFan wrote:

True, you're probably right.

EverettGriz
eGriz Club

Post by EverettGriz » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:22 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
ordigger wrote:
MiningCityGrizFan wrote:

Are you suggesting Hauck didn't recognize a play call with the TE lined up in the backfield to receive a handoff? Holy shit! We've got bigger problems than I thought!!!
Booze is the duct tape of life.

PlayerRep

Post by PlayerRep » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:29 pm

EverettGriz wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:22 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
ordigger wrote:
MiningCityGrizFan wrote:

Are you suggesting Hauck didn't recognize a play call with the TE lined up in the backfield to receive a handoff? Holy shit! We've got bigger problems than I thought!!!
Dp you think Hauck called the play? You are truly a football idiot.