• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

We need a new kicker BAD! (2008)

Fellas, these are young student-athletes you are talking about. It can hurt a young man to read negative comments about himself, especially after he has been doing his best to contribute to the team. Let's allow Bobby Hauck to decide what positions need improvement.

9/15 is 60%. By comparison:

Carpenter was 62.1% as a frosh, missing 3 from 20-29 and 3 from 30-39.

Snyder was 64% as a frosh, missing 3 from 3-39.

They both became all-americans and set the fcs record for scoring by a kicker.

Perhaps we should give McKnight some time and cut him some slack.

For God's sake, give Brody a break. Thanks, PlayerRep, for giving the exact stats on Carpenter and Snyder during their first years, so I didn't have to estimate from memory (although I would have been pretty close). I'm not saying that Brody will be another all-American -- although he might be! -- but I'm pretty sure that another year will make him a good kicker on whom the Griz can rely for the next several seasons.

schield said:
My two $.02: Good god, give the kid a break. He is a freshman that didn't participate in spring ball. We are lucky he did as good as he did. Name us one game where our kicker loss the game for us. Umm sure wasn't Weber and it sure wasn't Richmond.

So that is $.04. Getting a little greedy aren't we.

Th short kickoff cost us in the First Weber game as well. I do not think that it is Brody's fault as he did kick deep in the second Weber Game. I think that the coaching strategy was to have high but sorter kickoffs and it cost us way too much field position. As far as out punter like ReMax said Wood was at one time one of the better punters. Did the playoff pressure get to the young man? Who knows? But I think he will get back to where he was early in the season. One other thing to note on the punts. It seemed like after Colt got dinged up and was not on the punt cover team that co-incided with when Woods punting problems started. Was he afraid to kick it deep with out Colt there to be down field covering? I think with another year of conditioning and hard work these guys will be fine, but in case nothing wrong with signing another couple of guys to give them a run for it.

i agree, the short kickoffs put the griz in bad position for both losses.

having said that, who is to say that the "new kicker" we need isn't just an improved mcknight? also, schey has been mentioned - is he still with the team? he had longer kickoffs than mcknight when he played. i never quite understood why they didn't just go with two kickers this year. yeah yeah, it takes a roster spot, but there were always several guys who didn't play in games, anyway.

Marcus White from Elk Grove (Pleasant Grove HS), California is another potential kicker (and punter). who wants to come to Montana. This kid has a strong leg having kick 97 touchbacks during his senior year which was the most in the nation. He went 95 out of a hundred on PAT's which was 4th in the nation. He averaged 41.6 yards punting and kicked fourt field goals with a long of 39. Marcus led the State of California in both touchbacks and PAT's. The reasons he didn't kick more field goals is because his team was one of the top prep teams in California and they didn't need to kick many field goals as they generally scored touchdowns. Marcus has a 4.2 GPA (honor classes allow you to elevate your grade point average above a 4.0). His grandfather played for Red Sanders at UCLA and his father played for Jim Socher at UCDavis. Marcus is 6'1" 190 lbs. He has an appointment to West Point as well as an offer from a couple of other schools, but he loves to ski and fish and wants to come to Montana. He has a web site on NCSA. You can also get a look at him on an ESPN televised game at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXhvnqabnL8.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXhvnqabnL8[/youtube]

Lol. Weird to bring up this thread to endorse a friend or family member but I'm glad u did. Looks like quite a few people were wrong about Brody!

McKnight finished 8th in the nation in gross punting, and UM finished 11th in the nation for net punting. .25 more and he would have been 5th in gross punting. Best gross punting of any team in the playoffs and I think 3rd best in net punting of any team in the playoffs.

BDizzle: I am a little confused over your post: "Weird to bring up this thread to endorse a friend or family member but I'm glad you did." I trust you are not referring to my post on Marcus White[/b]. If it is an insinuation that there is somthing untowards about my post mentioning Marcus White as a potential recruit, then your implication is totally wrong and unfounded as I have never met him and have never seen him play (other than video). Neither he nor his family are friends or are related to me. I have, however, heard many good things about his play from credible football sources.

rodmac48 said:
BDizzle: I am a little confused over your post: "Weird to bring up this thread to endorse a friend or family member but I'm glad you did." I trust you are not referring to my post on Marcus White[/b]. If it is an insinuation that there is somthing untowards about my post mentioning Marcus White as a potential recruit, then your implication is totally wrong and unfounded as I have never met him and have never seen him play (other than video). Neither he nor his family are friends or are related to me. I have, however, heard many good things about his play from credible football sources.

I figured you were related to him. You brought up a thread that is 3 years old to talk up a kicking recruit from California. Looks like a great recruit. Just thought it was weird that you went back and found a thread from 3 years ago. And I said I'm glad you found this thread because it showed how wrong we were about Brody. Sorry for assuming you were related.

BDizzle said:
rodmac48 said:

I figured you were related to him. You brought up a thread that is 3 years old to talk up a kicking recruit from California. Looks like a great recruit. Just thought it was weird that you went back and found a thread from 3 years ago. And I said I'm glad you found this thread because it showed how wrong we were about Brody. Sorry for assuming you were related.

Yeah, I guess he turned out ok, huh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

But another great kicker who missed his last FG attempt in a Griz uniform. :evil: :evil:

AZGrizFan said:
BDizzle said:
rodmac48 said:

Yeah, I guess he turned out ok, huh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

But another great kicker who missed his last FG attempt in a Griz uniform. :evil: :evil:

We have had a bunch of kickers who've missed their last attempt. Anyone know off the top of their head who the last kicker was who made their final attempt?

Don't know if this has been mentioned on Egriz yet or not, but if it hasn't been: Record setting Kicker and record setting QB Matt Berg has transferred back home to Butte, and will play for Montana Tech.

BDizzle said:
Just thought it was weird that you went back and found a thread from 3 years ago. And I said I'm glad you found this thread because it showed how wrong we were about Brody.

I had posted a link to it in a more recent thread:

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55399

Likely, he clicked on it in that thread and did not realize that this was 3 years old when he posted in it, which brought it forward.

It is funny to look back on the comments.

Yeah it is. . . Brody ended up being one of my favorite players....he just had to find his niche. I'm sure the coaches will find someone spectacular for us. I'm not worried one bit.

PlayerRep said:
McKnight finished 8th in the nation in gross punting, and UM finished 11th in the nation for net punting. .25 more and he would have been 5th in gross punting. Best gross punting of any team in the playoffs and I think 3rd best in net punting of any team in the playoffs.
Did you mention he averaged 32 yards (26.7 net) in the Semi; some of them downwind? SHSU's field postion hurt us badly. Forget the wind-blown FG misfire; it was not a good night for Brody. I would liked to have seen Wren give it a shot. SHSU had clearly scouted that they needed to field the McKnight punt grounders, which they had little problem doing.

Back