• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

We need a new kicker BAD! (2008)

Greenacres Griz

Brody is absolutely terrible. He can't get his kickoffs to the 20 yard line on a fly & has kicked the ball out of bounds numerous times. He as missed 4 extra points this year 51/56 & only made 9/15 field goals missing 2 from 20-29, & another 2 from 30-39. A program with our prestige should be able to recruit a better kicker. Brody sucks. Congrats to the the rest of the GRIZ on a great season we just ran into a better more athletic team tonight.

He'll get better, give him an off-season with Gerbs and he'll be booting it a mile, keep in mind he walked on this fall, so he didn't have the spring to workout and get ready.

Wow I agree Brody needs to improve for next year but come on man. Give the kid a break.

Greenacres Griz said:
Brody is absolutely terrible. He can't get his kickoffs to the 20 yard line on a fly & has kicked the ball out of bounds numerous times. He as missed 4 extra points this year 51/56 & only made 9/15 field goals missing 2 from 20-29, & another 2 from 30-39. A program with our prestige should be able to recruit a better kicker. Brody sucks. Congrats to the the rest of the GRIZ on a great season we just ran into a better more athletic team tonight.

Your right, then we would have only lost 24 to 10.

no kidding I'm not saying it would have made a difference in this game but it has been evident all year with the other team always starting with good field position 35 yard line or better & very unreliable in kicking extra points & fgs

This may be the first negative bandwagon I can jump on. I cannot remember Carpenter's first year stats and am too wrung out to look them up. His stats may not be a fair comparison anyway. Just seems like the average FCS rookie kicker should be at least as good as Brodie and then if that is so, what are we doing with and average kicker?

IdahoGrizFan said:
The kicker didn't make the difference in the game it was the Richmond "D"

True, but I would feel alot better if we could get some points when we get down in the red zone. I ain't blaming him for tonight by any stretch of the imagination, but ask Cal Poly how important a kicker is.

With all due respect BH paid little or no attention to the kicking game. This was a recruiting error IMO. Everyone knows this was a huge weakness and it bit us more than not!! Remax your posts are exceptional but your sugar coating this one!! Get real.
Go Griz 2009

Jeeze, cut him some slack. He's a walk-on freshman. I wouldn't blame the kid for the fact nobody seemed to think we needed to recruit a Carp replacement.

He's a University of Montana Grizzly. He'll use today as motivation to improve.

nzone said:
With all due respect BH paid little or no attention to the kicking game. This was a recruiting error IMO. Everyone knows this was a huge weakness and it bit us more than not!! Remax your posts are exceptional but your sugar coating this one!! Get real.
Go Griz 2009

Well actually Hauck had things in place:

1. Russel Schey was a walk-on in 2007, both him and Ken Wood ran with the red shirts / scout teams and did the off-season workouts, training, practices, etc. Schey was/is being groomed to take over after Carp left, however he didn't start too well and McKnight had to come in 3 games into the season.

2. We had a kicker recruited as well, but wasn't he one of the two kids that didn't have the proper academic credits or something?

3. I could be wrong on this but I think Hauck was planning on red-shirting McKnight until next year and then letting Schey and McKnight duel it out. This is a guess based on some earlier posts suggesting so, however if true that would mean that they didn't even plan on using Brody this year.

4. As a frosh both Carp and Sndyer weren't lights out, in fact if you guys remember Carp didn't even do kickoffs b/c he couldn't kick that far, we had another guy Sloan do that, but only at home games b/c Bobby didn't want to take 2 kickers on the road. Like I said, give it time guys, I'll bet with this off-season workout plan McKnight will work out a lot of errors and add a ton of leg strength.

I know he will be our next snyder/carpenter, but you need to play when it counts. You can't always look at next year, ( I'm not implying his kick would have won us the game ). How many season points has he missed? It's like scoring a touchdown and getting it called back because of a hold or something, It's frustrating.

Sorry but the opening line should be BH had the kicking game out of place. Neither of these guys had the leg to be a productive kicker. I've never argued but this is case and point. Field position has killed us as well as confidence. Your a great poster Remax but.. If it were me I'd be looking for a kicker!

I tried to look up the box scores but they're not available on montanagrizzlies.com back that far. But my recollection is that our kickers have not done well in Chattanooga. Carpenter missed a couple in 2004 and Snyder really had a tough time in 2000 and 2001. McKnight kept the bad karma going with his miss.

nzone said:
Sorry but the opening line should be BH had the kicking game out of place. Neither of these guys had the leg to be a productive kicker. I've never argued but this is case and point. Field position has killed us as well as confidence. Your a great poster Remax but.. If it were me I'd be looking for a kicker!

I think tonight you can't argue that the kicking game hurt us, it cost us 3 points and gave Richmond good field position all night long. I was pretty surprised to see Wood who has been pretty consistant not kick the ball well.

We've seen that Brody has the leg to make fieldgoals, he does need to work on accuracy, also he needs to improve kickoffs this off-season. If I were Bobby I'd keep Schey on board, and work out Wood on kickoffs too, keep the job open until fall camp.

Fair enough. Again Remax you are a very good poster and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I'm just a guy who likes to take his kids to Griz Football games and I don't see that changing.
Griz 2009

always having to play defense on the short field is exhausting. when you look back and each time they gain a few yards and goal posts get bigger and bigger it is extra pressure and wears on you. starting at the 25 max is a better head trip than starting on the 35 to 45 each possesion. think about it. it changes you whole game plan. advantage offense disadvantage defense. kicking game is super important, duh.

Remember, Superior has a great senior kicker who can boot kick offs through the uprights on an 8 man field. The Griz would be wise to give him a look.

Back