Get the low down on Griz/FCS Football
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Has liked: 1043 times
Been liked: 1993 times

3-7-77 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:58 pm
michigangriz wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:28 pm
…what I do get is that the 37 tradition is okay, but not if under the unwritten rule of not being born in Montana. That is my only complaint. Always has been.
I was told I was born while my parents were on vacation. Doesn't say much for the decision making process of those two, big road trip so near the delivery date, but I could have been born....a Californian! ARRRGH!!! But, I held out, and took my first polluted breath at St. Pat's.
Born a Griz. Eat your heart out! :lol:
It certainly WAS polluted if it was during the days of the lumber yard teepees and the pulp mill….
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.
3-7-77
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 462 times

My glorious day was well before Hoerner-Waldorf, but the wood products industry was alive and well in Missoula. TeePee burners abounded in the Five Valleys. Maybe my Missoula debut is why I've always liked the smell of wood smoke.
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins championships." -- Paul 'Bear' Bryant
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club

3-7-77 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:18 am My glorious day was well before Hoerner-Waldorf, but the wood products industry was alive and well in Missoula. TeePee burners abounded in the Five Valleys. Maybe my Missoula debut is why I've always liked the smell of wood smoke.
Come on. The pulp mill was there my entire childhood and beyond. I was born in '62. You can't be THAT much older than me.
garizzalies
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 483 times

michigangriz wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:58 am No, you completely misunderstand me… I am not wanting to cancel anything about the University of Montana, I only wanted to issue a valid complaint….if bearing the 37 jersey requires birth in Montana, then I am not for it…I love Montana, endlessly…. Sorry, but what are you missing?
I don’t think I’m the one missing something.

Montanans “hate” it when out-of-staters tell us how to think, particularly about things in our own state.

It’s our state’s pet peeve. Pretty sure that’s what “oro y plata” means on our state flag—please keep your out-of-state complaints to yourself, even if you think they are “valid.”
ElrodGrizzly
eGriz Club
Has liked: 3021 times
Been liked: 777 times

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:36 am
3-7-77 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:18 am My glorious day was well before Hoerner-Waldorf, but the wood products industry was alive and well in Missoula. TeePee burners abounded in the Five Valleys. Maybe my Missoula debut is why I've always liked the smell of wood smoke.
Come on. The pulp mill was there my entire childhood and beyond. I was born in '62. You can't be THAT much older than me.
I don't know where 3-7-77 was born, but I actually can confirm that if he was born in Missoula, it would be entirely realistic for him to remember a time before the mill had gone in. I'm not trying to dox anything about him, but oddly I can actually confirm that based on a previous conversation with him that had nothing to do with this topic. He's not THAT much older than you, but his statement is in line with the age he previously mentioned to me in passing.
3-7-77

Au contraire.

Remember the intro to 'Star Wars,' "...long long ago, in a land far, far away..."
There are lots of people older than you, or me, that post regularly on this site. 'Older' is a relative term.
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club

3-7-77 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:22 am

Au contraire.

Remember the intro to 'Star Wars,' "...long long ago, in a land far, far away..."
There are lots of people older than you, or me, that post regularly on this site. 'Older' is a relative term.
I'm so old I was born in Missoula General! :lol: :lol:
Copper Griz
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 528 times

37 is about the players, not the fans. Internal team dynamics, not external. This is a stupid debate. Tradition should remain as is amongst those on the team. It is special and MSU has tried to replicate it. They can’t. Fans stay out of it. Don’t care where you were born.
alabamagrizzly
Has liked: 241 times
Been liked: 255 times

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:32 pm
3-7-77 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:22 am

Au contraire.

Damn that’s old! I was born in ‘77 and raised in Msla and never knew there was a Missoula General😂.
"In Bill's(Wild Bill Kelly) tragic death there might be some message for the college society that basks in the glory of the football team and the individual heroes, but overlooks the fact that they are like the rest of us with conflicts, fears, frustrations, and weakness."-Joseph Cochran, friend of Kelly's
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club

alabamagrizzly wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:30 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:32 pm

Damn that’s old! I was born in ‘77 and raised in Msla and never knew there was a Missoula General😂.
yep. gonzo now, and for quite a long time.
Da Boyz Mom
eGriz Club
Has liked: 4463 times
Been liked: 1615 times

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:52 pm
alabamagrizzly wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:30 pm

I remember driving past the building quite often after they closed the hospital (maybe late 80s?) But I have zero recollection of when they tore it down. Interestingly, it was renamed from the Northern Pacific Hospital to Missoula General Hospital the year I was born. I was not born there however. Uncle Sam called my dad's number and I got the privilege of being born on an Army base in a state that was not Montana. They moved back home when I was 2, so despite being born elsewhere, I'm as Montana as they come, even in my exile LOL.
If I had known egriz was going to last, I would have chosen a better username.
3-7-77

You were on TDY, Montanan. :thumb:
Da Boyz Mom
eGriz Club
Has liked: 4463 times
Been liked: 1615 times

3-7-77 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:12 pm You were on TDY, Montanan. :thumb:
I love that!
If I had known egriz was going to last, I would have chosen a better username.
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club

Da Boyz Mom wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:57 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:52 pm

I remember driving past the building quite often after they closed the hospital (maybe late 80s?) But I have zero recollection of when they tore it down. Interestingly, it was renamed from the Northern Pacific Hospital to Missoula General Hospital the year I was born. I was not born there however. Uncle Sam called my dad's number and I got the privilege of being born on an Army base in a state that was not Montana. They moved back home when I was 2, so despite being born elsewhere, I'm as Montana as they come, even in my exile LOL.
Well I don’t remember the building EVER being there, but according to a little google search, it wasn’t torn down until ‘85…
alabamagrizzly

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:35 pm
Da Boyz Mom wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:57 pm

Well I don’t remember the building EVER being there, but according to a little google search, it wasn’t torn down until ‘85…
Where exactly was it?
"In Bill's(Wild Bill Kelly) tragic death there might be some message for the college society that basks in the glory of the football team and the individual heroes, but overlooks the fact that they are like the rest of us with conflicts, fears, frustrations, and weakness."-Joseph Cochran, friend of Kelly's
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club

alabamagrizzly wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:20 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:35 pm

Where exactly was it?
I believe on Orange St (East side) just inside the exit off I-90…
kemajic
eGriz Club
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 487 times

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:16 pm
3-7-77 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:58 pm

I was told I was born while my parents were on vacation. Doesn't say much for the decision making process of those two, big road trip so near the delivery date, but I could have been born....a Californian! ARRRGH!!! But, I held out, and took my first polluted breath at St. Pat's.
Born a Griz. Eat your heart out! :lol:
It certainly WAS polluted if it was during the days of the lumber yard teepees and the pulp mill….
I worked in the lab out there '66-'68 part time. Drove out there several years ago. The biggest pile of rust imaginable.
Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana - Merle Haggard
alabamagrizzly

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:33 pm
alabamagrizzly wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:20 pm

Where exactly was it?
I believe on Orange St (East side) just inside the exit off I-90…
Thank you. I always enjoy hometown history lessons😊.
GrizMania
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 32 times

Pulp mill was running by 1958.

I liked the teepee burners...but not the pulp stench. Yuck. It was most notable when you'd leave town and it would hit you on the way back in.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
kemajic
eGriz Club
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 487 times

GrizMania wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:34 am

Pulp mill was running by 1958.

I liked the teepee burners...but not the pulp stench. Yuck. It was most notable when you'd leave town and it would hit you on the way back in.
When working there I had to strip clothes on the porch and quickly hit the shower before stinking up the whole apartment. The boots stayed on the porch as they frequently walked in black liquor to get to the lab. The books i took out there to study still retain the smell today when opened.
Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana - Merle Haggard