• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Breakdown - Five new Big Sky Conference head coaches

Colter_Nuanez56

Over the last several months, we've had the five new Big Sky Conference coaches on ESPN radio. Here's a podcast with those interviews as well as some analysis about the challenges each inherits at the respective programs they take over. This first part touches on the three toughest rebuilds: Northern Colorado, Idaho State and Cal Poly

Episode times: General thoughts on the league (0:10), a breakdown of Northern Colorado (10:40), an interview with UNC head coach Ed Lamb (17:14), a breakdown of Idaho State (33:30), an interview with new ISU head coach Cody Hawkins (39:25), a breakdown of Cal Poly (54:25) and an interview with new Cal Poly head coach Paul Wulff (1:02:44).

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1667255399416750080

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1sPoxZs0q7GxsytYWgwfQH?si=d4717bc51902427c&nd=1

Hey Colter, thanks for the pod.

Would you please ask msu administration why they haven’t suspended their 3 coaches charged with law violations pending their trials?

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Over the last several months, we've had the five new Big Sky Conference coaches on ESPN radio. Here's a podcast with those interviews as well as some analysis about the challenges each inherits at the respective programs they take over. This first part touches on the three toughest rebuilds: Northern Colorado, Idaho State and Cal Poly

Episode times: General thoughts on the league (0:10), a breakdown of Northern Colorado (10:40), an interview with UNC head coach Ed Lamb (17:14), a breakdown of Idaho State (33:30), an interview with new ISU head coach Cody Hawkins (39:25), a breakdown of Cal Poly (54:25) and an interview with new Cal Poly head coach Paul Wulff (1:02:44).

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1sPoxZs0q7GxsytYWgwfQH?si=d4717bc51902427c&nd=1

Can't wait to listen! I never miss one. Appreciate all you do with your journalism!

+1 EverettGriz. The media will never do it tho, why start being honest now... :lol:

Is there a felony in there somewhere, as in felony criminal endangerment, knowingly and intentionally fleeing and driving under the influence...?

Harm said:
+1 EverettGriz. The media will never do it tho, why start being honest now... :lol:

Is there a felony in there somewhere, as in felony criminal endangerment, knowingly and intentionally fleeing and driving under the influence...?

To be honest, no person in any medium could be considered legitimate until they not only ask the question, but until they get a satisfactory answer to it. You know what the response will be (misspelled due process, all that). But unless you keep peppering the follow ups, I can’t take you seriously as a journalist. There’s only one story in Montana college athletics right now, and this is it. Why haven’t the questions been asked?

EverettGriz said:
Harm said:

To be honest, no person in any medium could be considered legitimate until they not only ask the question, but until they get a satisfactory answer to it. You know what the response will be (misspelled due process, all that). But unless you keep peppering the follow ups, I can’t take you seriously as a journalist. There’s only one story in Montana college athletics right now, and this is it. Why haven’t the questions been asked?

A small fraction of my brain can understand there may be some sort of rules against taking action pre-maturely. For example - terminating prior to adjudication.

But, I absolutely cannot understand and do no accept the idea that the HC cannot bench them pending adjudication. He can sit anyone he wants...pay them and tell them to stay home. Why would a coach accept ANY limitations to that authority? There is a word to describe men like this. I won't use it here.. family friendly place and all.

The extensions and pay raises are just mind blowing...NOTHING rational about those decisions. Zero.

EverettGriz said:
Hey Colter, thanks for the pod.

Would you please ask msu administration why they haven’t suspended their 3 coaches charged with law violations pending their trials?

If you are your buddy CDA spent as much time wondering why our own coach can not beat the Bobcats, or finish in the top 3 withing our conference, instead of obsessing about the Cats, you might gain some credibility points as a poster.

SoldierGriz said:
EverettGriz said:

A small fraction of my brain can understand there may be some sort of rules against taking action pre-maturely. For example - terminating prior to adjudication.

But, I absolutely cannot understand and do no accept the idea that the HC cannot bench them pending adjudication. He can sit anyone he wants...pay them and tell them to stay home. Why would a coach accept ANY limitations to that authority? There is a word to describe men like this. I won't use it here.. family friendly place and all.

The extensions and pay raises are just mind blowing...NOTHING rational about those decisions. Zero.

Sums it up nicely. Personally I would can a coach after his third DUI arrest instead of giving him a raise, but 🤷‍♂️

Colter_Nuanez56 said:

Yes I agree with EG.
Nobody gives a shit about UNC, ISU, and CP.
There is one offseason story in the BSC that everyone wants to read about but you seem like too much a bubcat homer to care?

Are you a real journalist?
Why aren’t you asking the hard questions?

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Over the last several months, we've had the five new Big Sky Conference coaches on ESPN radio.
You could do a hard-hitting, investigative exposé, five-part series on the drunk bubcat shit show.
The article practically writes itself, or I would gladly do an op-Ed.
All you’d have to do is list the egregious facts from the court filings.
Then, you could cite Forbes and point out that MT is ranked #1 as the worst state for drunk driving with a score of 100 out of 100. https://www.forbes.com/advisor/car-insurance/worst-states-for-drunk-driving/
You could also point out that Bozeman in particular is one of the worst cities in the entire country for drunk driving (ranked #4). https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/10833-the-10-cities-with-the-most-drunk-driving-incidents.html
You could also point out how Garza left his prior schools following dui#1 and dui#2, and cite the below 2021-22 MSU handbook policy to show if Garza were a student athlete merely charged with dui#3 he must (mandatory) be dismissed from the team, but at MSdUi he gets renewed and even a raise!

LEVEL I MISCONDUCT
If the MSU Athletic Department has information which leads it to conclude that a student-athlete has been
charged or arrested with a violation of local, state or federal law involving… a major alcohol offense (DUI…
• Third Offense – The student-athlete will be dismissed from the team.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Over the last… blah blah nobody cares
At a minimum, do you think you could ask if Garza plans to attend the upcoming msu team camp on June 28th which happens to be THE SAME DAY as his next court hearing?
Does he really plan on mentoring Montana’s children on the same day as one of his hearings?

If Colter isn't up for the job, maybe the Kaiman would be interested in a hard hitting expose!

Nah, doesn't skewer the Griz, nothing to see here!

MikeyGriz said:
If Colter isn't up for the job, maybe the Kaiman would be interested in a hard hitting expose!

Nah, doesn't skewer the Griz, nothing to see here!

He and others won't do it...you know "journalists" need their bread buttered.

True journalism is dead. Sports writers are among the worst...won't write anything that may get them band from the locker rooms or omitted from question-asking at the post-game presser.

Weak.

Here’s an idea I just thought of. The next BOR meeting is next month. Why doesn’t somebody from this board sign up for public comment and ask the BOR if anything is gonna be done about this if they’re found convicted. That will be pretty telling!

Colter_Nuanez56 said:

Why the holy hell is there no mention of the Cats coaches DUI's? How is that not a bigger story than UNC or ISU or .....?

Griz til I die said:
Here’s an idea I just thought of. The next BOR meeting is next month. Why doesn’t somebody from this board sign up for public comment and ask the BOR if anything is gonna be done about this if they’re found convicted. That will be pretty telling!

That would actually be the best way to get a straight answer. There is always a time for public comment.

I believe the next BOR meeting is July 11th and will happen remotely. There will be a period for public comment on university related issues. If MSU admin is not going to be forthright about suspensions in the wake of legal issues involving it's leaders and employees, then it would seem questions directed at the BOR with shared documentation would be a critical step in shedding light on MSU's clear tactic of burying its head in the sand.

Speaking of, disappointing to see Colter following suit, and makes me wonder if the msu athletic department has contacted him directly to prevent the spread of information regarding the illegal activities of their coaches or if this blatant lack of acknowledgement is of his own accord.

I haven’t listened to Colter’s show lately, nor do I subscribe to Skyline sports. I do not know if Colter has discussed this issue other than reporting it in the local ESPN news brief on the radio when it happened.

I do know however that Colter has addressed the gripe from griz fans about his expanded coverage of MSU, and that his response was essentially access to the programs and that fans should direct their gripes towards the University and athletic department at UM instead of him.

I would say now is exactly the time to see what kind of access he really has down the road. It’s when there is adversity that transparency is truly tested.

Wolf777 said:
I haven’t listened to Colter’s show lately, nor do I subscribe to Skyline sports. I do not know if Colter has discussed this issue other than reporting it in the local ESPN news brief on the radio when it happened.

I do know however that Colter has addressed the gripe from griz fans about his expanded coverage of MSU, and that his response was essentially access to the programs and that fans should direct their gripes towards the University and athletic department at UM instead of him.

I would say now is exactly the time to see what kind of access he really has down the road. It’s when there is adversity that transparency is truly tested.

Agree, Triple 7. Colter has made it widely known that the reason his coverage is so slanted to the cats is access. Okay. So you have great access at msu. Time to put that to use and write an article about the things people care about (psssst: it ain’t the new noco coach). In fact, it’s the biggest sports story in Montana in months.

And if he’s concerned about not doing so for fear of losing that access, then he can never be considered a legit journalist.

Back