• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Isaiah Kerr enters the portal

Griz til I die

DONOR
https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1655627554559258625?s=20
Kind of odd timing with the portal deadline 3 days away. Makes me think he was pushed out to make room for a transfer!

Griz til I die said:
Kind of odd timing with the portal deadline 3 days away. Makes me think he was pushed out to make room for a transfer!
This surprises me. Is the portal deadline an entry deadline only or does extend to a signing deadline too?

GrizWhiz said:
Griz til I die said:
This surprises me. Is the portal deadline an entry deadline only or does extend to a signing deadline too?

Entry only. I think they can sign anytime.

College sports has become a tougher and more cutthroat business with the Portal and no-sit rule. The practices have changed significantly.

GrizWhiz said:
Griz til I die said:

You can still sign players in the portal over the summer.

The difference is that to enter the portal requires a bit more work for players outside the window. This includes admin sign off and potential restrictions on eligibility for the upcoming season.

Schools have a bit different roster rules during the summer and whether they can allot scholarship money out of the general fund after June or July. At one point, they can't add players generally as scholarship players and have to be walk ons.

AllWeatherFan said:
Or, Isaiah and coach had an honest discussion about his likely playing time in the upcoming season.
Yes, which would imply that his scholarship will be used on somebody else, most likely a transfer

Griz til I die said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Or, Isaiah and coach had an honest discussion about his likely playing time in the upcoming season.
Yes, which would imply that his scholarship will be used on somebody else, most likely a transfer

Unless I am missing something, this is very odd. In general these conversations happen immediately after season (not 2 months later which makes it hard for a kid to find a school).

Barring some kind of behavioral or academic issue, the most likely scenario is that they found someone better and pushed him out.

And I believe this is the second year in a row where a scholarship guy leaves before playing a single game (Braggs).

Not much of a point to recruiting Hs when you can’t retain guys who were highly touted beyond one redshirt season.

Just my two cents...

1. While this feels player driven, the timing was and is peculiar. Kerr's best spot in regards to D1 opportunities lied with staying on the roster. He's a RS w/ no playing time and based upon past experience this type of move puts Kerr on track to go to a JC and bounce back.

2. If this was a roster motivated decision, meaning there is another player coming in, it means there is still likely one scholarship left to use. As I noted and others noted earlier Travis would have had end of year evals back in March and not in the first week of May. Maybe Kerr decided that the depth chart wasn't to his liking after all, as he probably looked to be minutes limited with the experienced options available next in Moody, Whitney, and Vasquez who all played PG/CG last year. That wouldn't be something out of the blue either, so like I said it feels weird for a Freshman PG/CG to make that decision this late in the portal. Travis hadn't been in on many PG's lately, with most of the players being of the wing or post category. Though considering how he's stealth recruited this term, you just don't know. A lot of the players tied to the program via social media seem to be more smoke than fire.

3. If there is no replacement, then it looks like we have two lead guards in Whitney and Henderson along with Moody who can play it as a CG. That was the role I assumed they wanted Kerr to play, who could play off ball. There are a number of guys who can play 2/3 (G. Williams, M. Williams, J. Nap, Do. Thomas, Vasquez). Leaves us a bit thin again and that is likely why I think this was a player driven decision and not one pushed by the program. Dick probably is a year away from contributing (if at all). Unless there is a position change in offing that we don't see coming (M. Williams to PG?? or Nap (completely unconventional)) we are putting a lot of pressure on the same core group to exceed how things played out this year. Unless Henderson is the real deal, we are running back what we had last year as facilitator and w/out Bannan.

Of all the RS's other than Reynolds, Kerr was in the best position to see minutes. Have a hard time believing at this point if nothing changes, that Henderson red-shirts. Thought there was a really good chance had Kerr remained.

Anyhow just my observations.

Grizfan-24 said:
Just my two cents...

1. While this feels player driven, the timing was and is peculiar. Kerr's best spot in regards to D1 opportunities lied with staying on the roster. He's a RS w/ no playing time and based upon past experience this type of move puts Kerr on track to go to a JC and bounce back.

2. If this was a roster motivated decision, meaning there is another player coming in, it means there is still likely one scholarship left to use. As I noted and others noted earlier Travis would have had end of year evals back in March and not in the first week of May. Maybe Kerr decided that the depth chart wasn't to his liking after all, as he probably looked to be minutes limited with the experienced options available next in Moody, Whitney, and Vasquez who all played PG/CG last year. That wouldn't be something out of the blue either, so like I said it feels weird for a Freshman PG/CG to make that decision this late in the portal. Travis hadn't been in on many PG's lately, with most of the players being of the wing or post category. Though considering how he's stealth recruited this term, you just don't know. A lot of the players tied to the program via social media seem to be more smoke than fire.

3. If there is no replacement, then it looks like we have two lead guards in Whitney and Henderson along with Moody who can play it as a CG. That was the role I assumed they wanted Kerr to play, who could play off ball. There are a number of guys who can play 2/3 (G. Williams, M. Williams, J. Nap, Do. Thomas, Vasquez). Leaves us a bit thin again and that is likely why I think this was a player driven decision and not one pushed by the program. Dick probably is a year away from contributing (if at all). Unless there is a position change in offing that we don't see coming (M. Williams to PG?? or Nap (completely unconventional)) we are putting a lot of pressure on the same core group to exceed how things played out this year. Unless Henderson is the real deal, we are running back what we had last year as facilitator and w/out Bannan.

Of all the RS's other than Reynolds, Kerr was in the best position to see minutes. Have a hard time believing at this point if nothing changes, that Henderson red-shirts. Thought there was a really good chance had Kerr remained.

The weird part of your #2 is that all THREE of those guys are gone after this season. He could have been in the rotation as a sophomore. Now he’s gonna have to start all over somewhere else.

AZGrizFan said:
Grizfan-24 said:
Just my two cents...

The weird part of your #2 is that all THREE of those guys are gone after this season. He could have been in the rotation as a sophomore. Now he’s gonna have to start all over somewhere else.

Whitney has another year after this one.

GrizBall said:
AZGrizFan said:

Whitney has another year after this one.

Seriously? :lol: Seems like he’s been here forever…

Travis start as Montana brought some amazing recruits. Since then he has been hit and miss. Kerr appears to be another strike-out.

I think this only proves that the portal has completely changed college sports. Both Travis and Hauck hated the change, but are adapting nonetheless.

I will reserve judgment on the specific individuals (i.e., Kerr and Dorell Thomas) until next season, after we see who DeCuire brings in and how they perform.

GrizBall said:
Griz til I die said:

Unless I am missing something, this is very odd. In general these conversations happen immediately after season (not 2 months later which makes it hard for a kid to find a school).

Barring some kind of behavioral or academic issue, the most likely scenario is that they found someone better and pushed him out.

And I believe this is the second year in a row where a scholarship guy leaves before playing a single game (Braggs).

The conversation may have taken place immediately after the season, but Kerr waited to make his decision. I wasn’t suggesting that Travis waited until last week to give his honest appraisal. In any event, it’s all fan speculation at this point.

Back